360 - Launch pro mini help | FerrariChat

360 Launch pro mini help

Discussion in '360/430' started by 78bonanza, May 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    New unit will bluetooth to the OBD plug to run the health report , system scan, system selection .
    When in system selection and trying select F1 trans for system check I get a message that the” unit is not communication with the ECU”. Bluetooth is connected and ignition is on . All software and firmware updated when I set it up. 2000 Modena F1
    Any ideas?
    I sent Launch the car data but I don’t have high hopes for a reply,

2. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    Firstly can I ask which part number tcu unit do you have? My 2000 came with 176552 this tcu cannot be accessed with launch, well the gearbox settings anyway.

I believe you will need a newer tcu for your launch to access the f1 settings.

Maybe others will chime in.

I ended up with a Cs tcu and my launch can access the f1 gearbox menus

imahorse likes this.
  3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Correct. The Launch Pro Mini will not communicate with the 2000 Modena ECU. You would need a newer model 360 TCU or CS TCU.

Kevin

4. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    Ok , well that would seem to make it very limited for maintenance functions if it cannot access the ECU . Sounds like it will going back to amazon . Yes I have the 176552 tcu.
    That’s disappointing but thanks for the replies .

5. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    I just spoke to a tech rep at Autel which coincidentally is located on Long Island where I am . The tech rep did say their unit 906 or 908 are bidirectional with all the 360 model years . What he also stated was that IF Ferrari software had limited the access to , as an example , the TCU that would of course make it non functional .
    Anyone know if the Autel units would allow tcu access etc that it appears Launch will not ?

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I just had a Launch (China) Mini delivered yesterday. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

I would suspect that the cost to upgrade the TCU to a more capable version would be less than the cost of the Autel diagnostic system. Upgrading your TCU would have added benefits in regard to functionality of your F1 system. Something to consider regardless of your choice of diagnostic equipment.

7. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I meant to say cannot access the 'TCU' of a 2000 Modena.

Other maintenance can be performed using the unit, just not on the TCU.

Excellent idea to think about upgrading to a CS TCU!!

Kevin

8. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear

9. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Regardless of clutch life, there is a large difference in performance between your early TCU and a CS TCU. Many (most?) around here, including myself, have bought flashed CS TCUs from member Eric355.

If you're willing to wait a bit, I'm going to be selling mine when my car finally gets back from its gated conversion.

Kevin

10. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Is there any way to buy just the Launch software and the required Bluetooth dongle? I don't need the tablet as I have access to plenty of those.

11. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    That sounds very interesting . When would you think your conversion would be finished ?
    Can you tell me a bit about the benefits of the CS TCU ?

12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    There was a change made in 2001 iirc. It allowed the PIS to be manually input as well as some other things. These cheap diagnostic units have been reverse engineered so many times that they are quite buggy and only work with the later TCUs.

13. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    These threads provide a useful collection of information regarding the swap:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/whats-the-verdict-on-cs-tcu.438604/page-2

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/cs-tcu-or-not.504992/

As to when my conversion will be finished, anyone's guess.... could be weeks to months....

Kevin