The Purosangue Thread | Page 39 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    While there are no more news about the Purosangue here is a story for coronavirus times…..

Jerrari was the SUV that Ferrari did not want to make

The first Ferrari known for its off-road skills was called Jerrari and was built in the 1970s. The first Ferrari to drive off-road was the creation of William F. Harrah, an eccentric millionaire who developed the Jerrari, a model that resulted from the merger of two cars: a Jeep Wagoneer and a Ferrari 365 GT! A sports fan and trained in mechanical engineering, the American tycoon was looking for a high-performance car with the ability to move smoothly along unpaved roads that connected his property in Lake Tahoe and his companies, just outside Las Vegas. He formalized a request to Ferrari, which refused the project.

Harrah was still far from guessing that his concept was, at the very least, visionary, did not give up on the idea and stubbornly advanced with the development of the car. In the workshop he held in one of his properties, dedicated to the maintenance of the expensive bolides that were part of his private collection, the construction of the Jerrari started, starting from a beautiful Ferrari 365 GT 2 + 2 of 1969.
    The front and most of the components were taken advantage of from the Italian sports car, as well as the 4.4-liter V12 engine, but part of the bodywork, chassis and four-wheel drive system belonged to a 1970 Jeep Wagoneer. The work includes the redesign of the symbols of the Maranello brand, replacing the Ferrari F with a J. And exchanging the purebred for an animated bear in the logo …

The Ferrari V12 engine received the necessary modifications to adapt to the North American brand four-wheel drive technology, and the original 365 GT 5-speed gearbox was replaced by a four-speed transmission from the Borg-Warner T-10. The result was so surprising that it caught the attention of the experts at Road & Track, who published the test they performed on the car in 1971. According to that test, the Jerrari accelerated from 0 to 100 km / h in less than 9 seconds and did 210 km / h of peak speed. Probably the fastest all-terrain vehicle of its time!

Harrah died in 1978, at the age of 66, losing track of part of his heritage. Your Jerrari was last seen in 2008, when a German collector, Alex Lockmann, bought it on eBay for just over 18,000 euros.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

456-boy likes this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s a rare and lovely story, Mário!

Designers of revolutionary/concept cars in the 70s must have been interesting guys. I struggle to like their designs.

That Jerrari reminded me of the VW Schwimmwagen, namely that front section and ride height! :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nuno nice to ear from you and I hope you and your family are all well. I really like this exotic VW Schwimmwagen which is a kind of high ride Mini Moke with some Jeep reminiscences.
    Take care and regards.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    You’re always very kind, Mário. My family and I had a little scare, but we’re all OK now. Thank you very much for asking. I hope you and your loved ones are healthy and well too.

Interesting to witness how Germany is a great car nation. Some of the greatest roads, tracks, cars and collectors are located there. And appropriately, the Jerrari ended up in the hands of a german collector.

Back on topic and in the absence of any news regarding the new Ferrari SUV, I wonder how much impact, if any, the pandemic has had in Ferrari’s development, launch and production plans. Given the factory’s capped production and the halt they’ve been subjected to, will they be able to meet the intended deadline?

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nuno everyone that has been worried about Ferrari producing too many cars now can relax. I even doubt they'll be able to produce this year as many cars as they did in 2019. At least for several years things won't be like they used to be before the virus arrived and even Ferrari will have to adapt to these new times. The launching of new models will be postponed probably and I would be surprised if the Purosangue is an exception.

Regards

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Italian magazine AUTOMOBILISMO has published this article about the Purosangue.

PUROSANGUE FERRARI: TASTY NEWS WAITING FOR THE OFFICIAL LAUNCH

Coming soon in 2021, the first SUV of the Maranello company will adopt an unprecedented platform, an advanced plug-in hybrid V6 turbocharged engine or alternatively electrified V8 and V12 engines and a refined interior and exterior design.

It is perhaps one of the most awaited cars in history, the one that will clear the taboo of a real Ferrari within the SUV segment although premium and very high performance, or as they call it in Maranello Fuv (Ferrari Utility Vehicle). Every time we talk about it, therefore, we cannot fail to unleash a strong mediated clamor since, in addition to being terribly awaited, it is also a model surrounded by a great aura of mystery. According to the latest rumors, the new model of the Cavallino should land on the ground in 2021 but many rumors have already leaked out on the net that make it even more interesting. Called Thoroughbred, the new Sport Utility will be a full-fledged Ferrari that will primarily adopt an unprecedented modular platform, the same as the Ferrari Roma but adapted, capable of combining the driving pleasure typical of Maranello cars with high comfort and good space on board typical of SUV segment cars.

The advanced and unprecedented platform will allow the adoption of an engine in the front-central position, a propulsion system that could most likely be an unprecedented plug-in hybrid V6 turbo unit that the Maranello company is working on in secret. However, allowing the same platform to be able to install as many V6, V8 and V12 units as well as hybrid powertrains, we could also find under the hood the same unit that equips the SF90 Stradale or a classic V12, a noble engine for the Italian company, with the help of an electric unit to form a hybrid powertrain of the latest generation. Whatever the solution, the engine will most likely be supported by an automatic dual-clutch gearbox and rear or all-wheel drive with sporty ambitions.

Turning to the silhouette of the exterior and interior design, the Ferrari Suv should be about 5 meters long with a passenger compartment designed for four people and a slightly raised structure. The exterior design as well as the interior will be refined and the interior must offer all the comfort, roominess and technology worthy of the best premium SUVs of the superior category. The external lines in de [nitive should be inspired at least in part by the particular design of the newly born Ferrari Roma. In short, a product capable not only of fighting on equal terms with Urus and Bentayga but also of beating them from all points of view. No news, however, on the price front, which could exceed the momentum of 200,000 euros, but we will have to wait for the presentation of the SUV to have certainties.

12. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Interesting!

But is there something really new in this article? I’m not casting doubt on your post be reassured, but it seems these info about the modular plateforme and the various engines (with and without hybrid system) have already been published.

Anyway, what we saw with the GTC4 Lusso and its offer of two engines is only the beginning at Ferrari! One car, several engines, and then a modular plateform... a way to divide the development costs into multiple models, and also to attract some more buyers with a -too- large offer.

13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There has been a lot of speculation about the Purosangue future motorizations. For instance we've seen some technical gurus stating categorically that a V12 isn't a choice because of the weight factor but to a part of the potential Purosangue buyers a turbo doesn't make any sense. Trusting what's been written in the AUTOMOBILISMO article the Purosangue platform is so versatile that it can use any engine and such flexibility is vital because it will enable different customers to get what they want.

WilliamB and 456-boy like this.
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  15. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Anyone seeing some of that Range Rover Evoque styling in these design patterns???? It's that tiny package and compressed flattened rear or side profile. I know for me I'm not liking that in either iteration, but hadn't seen any real release pictures for some time. I'm not big on the micro-SUV design styling on a lot of these cars.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That looks way too soft for me, like something a 16 yo girl would drive.

Maggio23, MDEL and gliazzurri like this.
  17. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
  18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought the weight differential between NA V12 and turbo V8 is minimal. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    So do I….

20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I presume you're right when you say the weight differential between a NA V12 and a turbo V8 is minimal,
    Perhaps I didn't explain it well but the weight factor I was referring to is when comparing possible hybrid alternative versions for the Purosangue. Ferrari already said that by 2022 60% of its future models will be hybrid and in the case of the Purosangue smaller engines braced with hybrid assistance are expected first. The V12, in fact, is unlikely to get a hybrid form if Ferrari can help it, the brand's marketing manager said, "To be honest, electrifying a V12 means creating, very probably, a heavy and big car. So electrification ideally should be coupled with smaller engines."
    Since Ferrari has been able to keep its NA V12 engines copying with the draconian emission regulations that exist now in Europe, it would be a shame if the Purosangue doesn't offer a version with this engine. I'm convinced that's what many Purosangue potential buyers want.

456-boy likes this.
  21. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    My concept drawing of how I’d like to see the Purosangue....even though I wish it were not coming at all. I hope its a superb vehicle and more than worthy of the Ferrari badge.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ahh. I understand.

Personally, I am an advocate for a 3.9 liter V12 hybrid. Redline 15k... :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jpalmito and MDEL like this.
  23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For a relatively heavy SUV you’ll want torque over high rpm.

MDEL likes this.
  24. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If it can drift and be as fun as Lusso plus offer rear access to the back seats and an optional heated steering wheel its a win! Done.. it will be sold out for years to come. My Urus is a porker, with a huge unnecessary trunk, it can't drift worth garbage and if it wasn't for the cool looks, nice audi tech, interior leathers/stitching, fake pops it would be a disaster.

MDEL likes this.