Clutch question on a California T | FerrariChat

Clutch question on a California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by whatheheck, May 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 2016 California T. It arrived 2 days ago.
    I am super happy with it. What an amazing car.
    Love the body style and engine power.

My car is a CPO, 2 year New Power Warranty included, only 7K miles & it has everything on my wish list (Magneride, High Power HiFi Stereo System, Apple CarPlay, Heated Seats, Pozzi Blue, Cuoaio natural tan interior, Carb Fib Steering wheel with LED's, etc.)

Coming from a 360 Spider for 3 years, then an F430 for 3 years, I learned quickly that on the 360 & F430 I need to go easy on the clutch during initial take off to prevent premature clutch wear and prolong the life of the clutch.

My question is with the Cali T being a double clutch & I understand it's also wet clutch - do I need to go easy on the clutch too on initial take off to prolong the life of the clutch? Or it's not an issue with the Cali T.

And what is the expected life span of the clutch on Cali T?

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Raconteur and Justicepool like this.
  2. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Congrats on new Cali T. Blu Pozzi is great color!

In regards to the DCT, you do not need to go easy on it :) You will not need to replace the clutches on the Cali T. They should last the life of the vehicle. There were some issues with the DCT transmission when Ferrari started using them but for the most part they are very reliable now.

Enjoy the car!

whatheheck likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info!

Dan

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Beautiful car, Dan, congrats. I'll echo what the other gentleman said, the clutch is built to last and you can drive it as hard as you like when the car's warmed up. Nothing like cracking off those shifts in the upper RPM ranges and getting that crack like a rifle shot!

I went from an F430 to a California 30 and then the T ... only thing that still throws me a little with the T is the steering wheel controls -- turning the brights on and off and still damned if I can figure out how to work the wipers on the rare occasion that I might need them. Wish it had CarPlay but you can't have everything ... where would you keep it?

Curious what you think of the high power audio? I found setting the fader so it's almost all front speakers and tweaking the EQ a little (with the pseudo surround turned off) actually sounds pretty good for a sports car.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congratulations on the Cali T!
    Had ours for 6 months and still thrilled with it! I like car play and find the Hi-power sound system respectable for a drop top.
    Enjoy the ride!

whatheheck likes this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Steve!

Enjoy yours as well.

I will be doing some minor upgrades to mine and I will share them here in case anyone is interested.

Dan

SLViper1 likes this.
  7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Vic!

And thanks for the great info about not worrying about the clutch on the Cali T.
    Yes, I follow the manual, I always wait until the oil temp is at 160F before I push the car hard.
    Happy to know I dont have to baby the clutch on the Cali T. Game on!

I agree with you on steering wheel. I have been driving the car now for 2 days and its difficult to get used to not having a turn signal stalk, difficult to figure out how to turn high beams on and off, and windshield wiper switch Im sure but I have not used it yet but that would be difficult too.

CarPlay option is nice, I use it 100% of the time as I no longer have to mount my phone on the windshield to use Waze app. Nice to also ask Siri anytime whenever Im curious about something. It's definitely an over priced option though.

I like a good stereo system so one of the must have is the HiFi High Power SNDB option.

My first impression was - it's good enough / decent.
    Just like any stock stereo I've heard before = dull sounding / lifeless at low volume, pretty good sound at medium volume, harsh sounding at high volume.
    I have my EQ set at max treble and sound is still lifeless at medium volume. Dull.....
    My mid is set at about 60%.
    I have bass set at about 85%.

Pros: JBL amp is very powerful. Good enough bass that I dont have to add a subwoofer.
    Cons: Tweeters. Again, dull sounding at low volume and harsh sounding at high volume.
    Even at medium volume we miss hearing the fine crystal clear silky smooth highs / clarity we all enjoy hearing.

So first order of business to improve the sound quality is to upgrade the tweeters.
    I ordered some Focal tweeters from Crutchfield. I will install them soon and will post my review here in case anyone is interested.

Rear speaker access: Very easy, pop up the grill, 4" midrange is there and the 1" tweets. 3 screws. Super easy one to one swap out.

Dash board speakers (Left mid, Center mid, Center Tweet, Right Midrange).
    I looked it up on the Workshop manual and its supposed to just pop up. For the life of me that grill screen just wont give and let go!
    If anyone has any info on how to remove the grill screen on the upper dashboard speakers please share.

Thanks!
    Dan

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    By the way, I created a separate post asking if anyone has a copy of the Workshop Manual and I would be willing to chip in for the cost. ($399.00 in eBay)
    Crickets..................so I went ahead and bought one.

I purchased a Cali T workshop manual from an eBay seller last week. Just like any other WSM I've seen, it's good enough, it still lacks the step by step details....
    If anyone wants a copy kindly PM me.

Dan

9. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Dan,

Congrats on the California T! That is a beautiful color combination. I love the cuoio interior. Great car! I'm trying to find one for myself now.

John

whatheheck likes this.
  10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm really interested to hear if it's as easy as it sounds here to swap out the speakers. I agree they're lackluster. I added a sub and it's decent for stock now but I'd love to hear confirmation which speakers are as easy to swap as popping the grills and quick R&R.

whatheheck likes this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks John!

Feel free to reach out to me if I can help you in any way.

Dan

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The rear speakers are easy to swap out as all you do is pop out the grill, remove the OE midrange and tweeter and install your choice of speaker drivers.

The doors are doable as I've done it on my 360 and F430 but they are not as easy as the rear speakers on a Cali T.
    The door panels will have to be removed.

The dashboard speakers (there are 4 of them) I dont know yet if they will be easy to do as I having a difficult time popping up the speaker grills. They just wont give and I am not sure if they are screw held or tabs / friction held.
    If I can just pop out the dashboard speaker grills so I can see the speakers then and I can see if the screws are visible then they should be another easy 1 to 1 swap out.

I will share here what I learn.

Dan

Piper and SLViper1 like this.
  13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Interested to hear the results you get swapping out the tweeters. Most important thing for anybody seeking decent sound out of the factory high power system is to turn off the "Quantum Logic" setting under options for the sound source you're listening to. If you set the fader back to just the rear speakers you can hear that they are adding nothing at all to the overall sound of the car ... not sure that higher quality speakers in those enclosures will make much difference, but who knows. Maybe they do more when the roof is down, I usually have the roof closed if I'm going to listen to the audio. I, too, found that a subwoofer would not be needed, plenty of bass in my car with the QL off and the fader set all the way to the front speakers. I'm hearing enough treble from the tweeters with the treble control backed off slightly, but it's very dependent on source material, and who knows, someone might have sizzled the original tweeters in your car. I usually put on something by Steely Dan to dial in my car systems ; )

Have never heard the non high-power system in the T but if it's anything like the standard system in the Cali 30 it's probably pretty awful.

whatheheck likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Drive it like you stole it. No comparison between the DCT and old F1. Floor it off the line or play with the launch control, it'll be fine. The life of the clutch is as long as the life of the engine. Don't worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing info Vic.

I'm still experimenting with my EQ settings. I've only had my car for 3 days. Will do some more tweaking as I drive it and use the stereo more often.
    All I know from my own ears is I am missing the clarity I am used listening to from a set of high quality tweeters. Silky smooth highs I love.

We are all different and we each have our preference. Like I tell everybody - different strokes for different folks.
    Do whatever makes you happy & whatever puts a smile on your face.
    Your car, enjoy it, tailor it to your liking.

I will share here what I learn.

Here's a photo of the rear speakers.
    If you want to see what they look like its simple.
    Pop up the speaker grill from the bottom using plastic pry tool and there they are.
    |
    I tried already, I removed the screws. Mids and tweets pop out with quick disconnect connectors.

I learned that the rear speakers are 4", 4 Ohms and it is the same size used by BMW and BavAuto Sound, except the cone on ours is made of Kevlar.
    I have a spare BavAuto 4" speaker when I had my BMW M4, I will try it and see if it produces a better sound than OE. Physically its plug and play. Connectors are different but no big deal, easy to add a connector disconnect.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vjd3 and Justicepool like this.
  16. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Amusingly, and perhaps aptly, Ricambi lists the rear 4" driver as a "twiddler" and it's $252 for the driver. The tweeter is $133. The back tweeter looks to be the same part as the front tweeter.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/california-group/california-t/audio-speaker-system.html?mode=split

The 16 channel amp is in the back of the car according to the diagram and it's a staggering $5500 ... doesn't look like there are any crossovers in the factory speaker modules as you often see with Focal components, so it must be handled at the amp. What I did like about the Focals when I put them in an older 911 was you could adjust the tweeter level to taste at the crossover panel. No price given on the Becker head unit but I think it's ridiculously expensive. But of course it does come with the horsey ;)

whatheheck likes this.
  17. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Congrats on the new FCar, Dan! Great color combo. Classy. Enjoy her in good health. Looking forward to seeing her this summer.

whatheheck likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info Vic.

Amazing what Ferrari charges for these things.......................

I played around with audio settings today in my garage (I'm recently retired so I have time now to play : )

I adjusted the faders to rear only. What a huge disappointment with only the rear speakers working............
    I swear a $19.95 Kraco stereo sound much better. So muddy sounding. Horrible........
    I'm not sure if the horrible sound quality is from the head unit, from the JBL amp or because of the speakers used.

I will record an audio of before and after speaker replacement soon and share it here.

So I thought I'd go with the easiest first - the rear speakers.
    As I mentioned I ordered some Focal tweets for the rears so I will start with that and see if sound quality improves.
    It's supposed to arrive on Friday so I will get right on it.

Then I will try replacing the midrange and see if that makes the sound quality even better.
    And that should take care of the rears.
    Front speakers will be next project.

I just realized I am going off topic (sorry) so I will start a new thread soon.

Dan

Justicepool likes this.
  19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Frank!

Great to hear from you buddy.

Hopefully this covid stuff goes away soon.
    Next time you visit Seattle let me know. Lunch or dinner is on me this time.

Dan

Raconteur likes this.
  20. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Ah.... here's the thread I've been missing!

Beautiful car, Dan; truly. I'm excited to see what you do with it.

How's the engine / exhaust sound? Coming from your incredible sounding f430, does it disappoint? Or is it entirely different but still satisfying?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Dan!

Loving my new car.
    It doesnt sound like the F430 with the Kline Exhaust (awesome Formula 1 sound) but its a different kind of sound. Satisfying & puts a smile on my face.
    I may get an exhaust valve controller or unplug the exhaust hoses and see if I like it.
    I read threads here that exhaust sounds much better with the hoses unplugged.

I will post a review here on my 2016 Cali T after a month of ownership.

For now, after 3 days of ownership:

Pros:
    • Outstanding looks and body style. Get lots of attention that its almost embarrassing....
    • Amazing power and torque (553hp and 557 /bs/ft torque). And max torque available on 7th gear. Blows my mind.
    • Much better build quality. Leather is super nice.
    • Gear selector button on the center console is very easy to push to engage. Light touch.
    • I like the CarPlay, Heated Seats and HiFi Option is good.
    Dislikes:
    • For the amount of money they charge for the options the Infotainment / Stereo System could be better.
    • Center console gear selector push button switch panel lights are way too dim.
    • Turn signal sound is way too low. I cant hear it.
    Upgrades I've done already:
    • Replaced dome lights, map lights, door lights and trunk lights with LED's. Much brighter now and the bulbs dont get hot.
    • I installed switched 12V power wire for Dashcam and Valentine 1 radar detector. Dashcam installed. V1 almost done.
    • Replaced side markers yellow lens to clear lens. Im not a fan of yellow.
    Next:
    • Upgrade speakers of stereo system.
    • Install front view and back up camera.
    • Etc.

More coming.......Will post DIY info here soon in case anyone is interested.

Dan

22. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I'll enjoy following.

whatheheck likes this.
  23. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    So Dan I would love a copy of shop manual. How about a hundred bucks for your time . Thanks What do you think ? James

whatheheck likes this.
  24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi James,

I think that is very kind and generous of you. Thank you!

Kindly eMail me at [email protected] so I can send you a link to my dropbox server.

Kindly use the same eMail address for either PayPal or Zelle.

Thanks again!

Dan