355 - Exhaust Manifold Replacement | FerrariChat

355 Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Everyone,

You'll have to bear with me as I store my car away from where I live. I need to replace the exhaust manifolds and have purchased the Tubi headers already. I also purchased new manifold gaskets and copper nuts to attach to the studs on the engine.

It looks like I will have to disconnect the oil lines- is that correct? So I'll have to change the oil again, right?

2. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Haven't done headers without engine out, but because of the way it's packaged, I bet you will have to remove the oil tank, and therefore yes, plan on changing the oil. Here's what it looks like out of the body. Image Unavailable, Please Login

PaulK likes this.
  3. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    I just installed my Tubis last night in fact (with the engine out). Basically everything about changing the manifolds with the engine in is going to be more difficult. Even with the engine out (but in the subframe) you need to lift the engine up a bit in order to clear the studs on the rear most cylinders (4 and 5) as the manifold wont pass between the upright of the sub-frame and the exhaust bolt studs on the cylinder head. Or conversely remove the studs from the cylinder head, which comes with it a new list of headaches. (disclaimer: mine is a M2.7, maybe there is a difference with M5.2 as the manifolds are slightly different is shape, I can't confirm)
    I had heard several people mention that it is a real pain to do with the engine in, and I would believe it.
    If it is not mandatory to change them now, I would wait till the next engine out. The manifolds are so pretty that you can leave them in the living room until you install them on the car.

Qavion and PaulK like this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I have done it twice with engine in. It’s a bit of a stuff around but you don’t have to totally remove oil tank. Just have it loose. The oil radiator lower oil line is removed so you lose no more than 1 liter of oil. So just top it up.

Jackie and bill and PaulK like this.
  5. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    @Elliott, did you not have an issue with clearance between the subframe upright and the manifold studs on the back cylinders? I felt like I tried every combo before finally pulling out the engine hoist again to lift the engine off the subframe (about 3 inches or so). Seems like it would be a real chore with the engine in, but maybe I missed something.

PaulK likes this.
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I was going to add that is the only real hiccup. The clearance is very minimal. The Tubi headers make things harder too as the heatshield makes for even less clearance. But I have completed this on a 5.2 and 2.7 car. I removed the heat shield on the axle boot covers and it’s a matter of orientating the header until you get the clearance. It’s totally doable I even did it on jack stands no lift once. It’s not the most fun job but yes it’s able to be done. And you will love the headers once installed!

PaulK likes this.
  7. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Got it, I reverted to lifting the engine as it was easy since the engine was out. Had it been in the car, I probably would have tried harder to find a way to clear the manifold studs.
    In any case, to the OP, good choice on getting the Tubis!

8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I also removed the oil radiator and the radiator fans on both sides for clearance.

PaulK and tbakowsky like this.
  9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That is CLEAN!!

Thanks everyone. It does not look like a fun job at all, but it must be done. I believe my drivers side manifold is cracked. I do not want to drive the car until I fix it. Removing the heat shield for the CV boots is a good idea and I was wondering about how much oil loss would there be- I just had the dealer change the oil last year before it went into storage so the oil is super fresh and also with it being Pakelo Krypton XT 5W-40, super expensive. It is quite fortunate that I have a spare litre of it.

10. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Pakelo Krypton XT 5W-40
    Wow, finally something that you can't find on eBay or Amazon. Did find their homepage though.:)

PaulK likes this.