California Pre Purchase Checklist | FerrariChat

California Pre Purchase Checklist

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by whatheheck, May 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I created one for F430 and now that my F430 is sold I am now shopping for a Cali T.

I searched and did not find a private PPI checklist.
    I also saw some posts asking what questions they should ask the dealer or private owner. So I created the attached.

Let me know if I miss or should add anything.

Thanks everyone.

Dan

Attached Files:

Justicepool, tomc and flash32 like this.
  2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Build sheet and door dings appears to be repeated? Check if Passenger airbag recall has been completed. (Most haven’t) Also Apple Car Play was a $4200 option. I enjoy using it!
    I also sold a 430 spider and picked up my Cali T last December.

3. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
  4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Fixed, added. Thanks.

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here's latest rev.

Also found a sample build sheet that contains most of the available options.

And found the Ferrari description of what Hi-Fi High Power stereo system option is which I understand is another disappointing stereo system for what they charge for it.

Attached Files:

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Of course, given what Ferrari charges for options almost anything can be a disappointment, but my Cali T has the upgraded stereo option and it is waaaay better than the standard system that was in my California 30 -- that was basically unlistenable. I do not have the CarPlay option.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I just sold my gated 360 spider and am already missing it. I've decided the California will be my next Ferrari. Thanks for starting this thread, this is exactly what I was looking for. On the tire question one may add what is the date code? From my initial research it appears as if some models have issues with the gearbox? Anyone have more information on how to look out for that issue?

whatheheck likes this.
  8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #8 vjd3, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    The most common problem is with the speed sensor, which is buried in the transmission. There are some plastic clips (like giant cable ties) that route the wiring that were found not to be up to the heat inside there, they became brittle over time and abraded the wiring, which caused errors from the sensor. Getrag at some point changed the clips. You used to have to replace the entire transmission at a staggering cost if it failed due to the sensor but now there are Ferrari dealers and some independents that can just open the box and fix it. It's slightly less staggering ;)

[​IMG]

Generally, it's believed that the 2013-14 California 30 is less likely to have issues than the 2009-2012 cars, and it seems to be rarer in the 15-18 California T. The Cali 30 also has different gear ratios which woke up the car from a performance standpoint -- and losing 60 pounds and gaining 30 horsepower is nice, too.

The T added the turbos, a lot of horsepower and torque and it feels significantly faster than the Cali 30, although the Cali 30 sounds better, being normally aspirated.

The Cali 30 is sort of buttressed in its value between the 09-12 cars and the more expensive Cali T -- it has nice improvements, so it's worth the extra money over the 09-12 car, and it has the T above it, so there are three pretty clear levels of car for the California. I had a Cali 30 for three years, and had to part with it (reluctantly), now I have a Cali T and it's a great car, it would be hard for me to go back at this point to the 30 because of the extra power and overall improvements. But the Cali 30 is still a great car and it is what I would recommend if you can swing the extra cash.

tomc, Justicepool and whatheheck like this.
  9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for chiming in and expressing appreciation.
    Similar to you, I just sold my F430 last week and missing it already big time. Nothing like a Ferrari for sure.

Great idea on tire date code. I have added it.
    Although these cars are only about 5 years old so tires shouldnt be that old yet and just need to understand how much wear there is on the tires.
    Added to the list tire date code.

Dan

Justicepool likes this.
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent information.
    Thank you very much for sharing.

Dan

11. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.

Thanks for sharing information on the Cali T and Cali 30. It looks like I will lean towards a 2013+ model in my search. My only problem is that I have become enamored with Rosso Mugello and they seem to be exceedingly rare. I found this one online at a decent price, but was concerned about potential issues with an "early" model:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=543720025

I am absolutely in love with that color combination. I am going to "try" and be patient in my search. It would be a dream to find that color combo with a sport steering wheel and the LED shift indicator.

I did find this 2015:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=539734391

It is not the exact color, but it is in that ruby red/burgundy color that I love. However, no sport steering wheel and I really prefer the darker Cuoio interior color.

John

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Rosso Mugello is an awesome color. Had the pleasure of parking next to an RM Cali @ a local FCA event, on a gorgeous sunny day.
    It's among the best of the "free" Cali colors IMO...T

13. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Dan,

I was thinking about the early California models 2009 - 2015 for checking the date code on the tires.

I hesitated to sell my gated 360, but I simply wasn't driving it as much as I should. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've still got a 911 and thought it would keep me happy. Although I do thoroughly enjoy driving the 911 with the 6 speed and top down, I really really miss my Ferrari. I want one that I won't hesitate to rack up miles on, thus enter the California. I think they are absolutely gorgeous and can't wait to get one.

John

whatheheck likes this.
  14. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    I actually bought my Cali T from the same dealership in November of last year. Fantastic experience. You can work out a good deal with them. Ask for Gil.

whatheheck likes this.
  15. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Andrew what Cali T did you get? You purchased from Marino Performance?

16. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Wow. That car is sexy with Cuoio!

I’m looking for a Cali too so I am adding this color combo to my search!!!

17. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    It was a 2016 Rosso Corsa with Beige Tradizione interior. Pretty much full loaded. And yes I got from Marino Performance. You can see a full inventory of their current cars on their website.

Justicepool likes this.
  18. Calicali

Calicali Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    M B
    I ended up purchasing that Mugello California and loving it so far! It's a gorgeous color and the car seems to be in great shape.

BLAMPEE and Justicepool like this.
  19. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    '
    The 2011 from Marino Performance? It is a gorgeous car!

Andrew Pour and jag-oo-r like this.
  20. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I came to this thread to see if there was an update from Dan. ?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

21. Calicali

Calicali Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    M B
    Yes! Very happy with it. My first Ferrari :)

Justicepool likes this.
  22. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Congratulations! It is a gorgeous car. I found it too early in my search process before I was comfortable I knew enough to move forward on one.

23. Calicali

Calicali Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    M B
    Thank you. I was very nervous as I had never seen the color in person, and bought the car from across the country. But it all worked out. Good luck with your search!

24. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I fell in love with that color because of your car. That color combination is now my dream combo! I reviewed the service record of that 2011 and it had some of the problems suffered in early models....but....they had all been corrected by Ferrari service so you should be good to go for years. Hope it was as beautiful in person!

25. Calicali

Calicali Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    M B
    Yes, I reviewed the same records and spent a lot of money getting it thoroughly inspected. But I was on the fence for days. Ultimately decided to roll the dice. Fingers crossed it doesn't give me any troubles!