Fabspeed and other tuners: why are manual conversion ECUs off the table? | FerrariChat

Fabspeed and other tuners: why are manual conversion ECUs off the table?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    So this company European Auto Group in Texas tried, and failed, to manual swap a 458. They switched their brag video to private, and moved on to a Supra swap like the 458 project never happened. Since we know they got the transmission physically in the car, the problem had to be programming the ECU.

Many people have said this is a nigh on impossible ask. But the details of why that is are a bit murky. Reading an article about EAG's first project, a 430 Scuderia swap (which was a partial success in that it did drive, minus all driver aids/manettino function) they mentioned that they had to actually dismantle the ECU itself and move the pins around. Furthermore, the engine does a lot of ignition changes during shifts that would cause problems in a manual.

I am of the opinion that the F12's engine may be the greatest power plant ever put in a car. Pulling a 599 F1 transmission and converting it back to manual (which has been done) and putting that in an F12 would make for an amazing street car. Yes, it would be "slower" at the track, but on the road it would be a lot of fun I think.

So my question is this: why is programming the Ferrari's ECU's so difficult, and what would it take to accomplish the task were someone to take it on?

Lastly, as an addendum, if someone wanted to use the engine in a swap and thus only needed the ECU to run the engine and nothing else, could you not simply start with a blank ECU and program the timing/ignition and other engine functions from scratch?

Thanks in advance, I know this is a complex question.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No..it would not make a good street car. You would instantly turn a fast car into a slow car and a mere shadow of what it could be. I love a 3 pedal car..but damn these DCT gearboxes are on another level. You wanna shift gears? Buy a 360 6 speed.. you wanna go fast..the latest is the greatest..like it or not.

Caphill, Gh21631, tres55 and 3 others like this.
  3. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Well OF COURSE a Certified Ferrari Technician is going to say that. Customization is the BANE of the purists, collectors and professionals such as yourself.

The problem is, you've never driven a manual F12, so you can't know what it would be like to drive. Instantaneous gear shifts may be what you want in a driving experience, but to someone else the paddles and invisible robots actually driving the car may make it feel more like a video game than a visceral hands on interaction.

I won't mistake my tastes for yours, so do me the honor of not mistaking yours for mine.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Why so testy? Did you not ask a question? The manual swaps have been beaten to death on this forum. I'm a manual fan in and out, I have a gated 360, and 4 other manual cars.... but that company also swapped a Scuderia, and in turn, negatively affected the performance of it. These cars are designed for speed, and with these new dual clutch systems, a manual gearbox will never be able to compete. Anything can be done with enough time and money, but whether its worth it or not is a whole other issue.

thorn likes this.
  5. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    The cars as they come from the factory are so integrated with traction control, e diffs, gearbox, abs, engine performance, etc. that changing to a manual would be extremely difficult. The driver aids allow mere mortals to use a lot of the power and torque available from the motor, screwing this up with a conversion may make the car unpleasant to drive just because it is a poorly controlled pig.

The motor could be tuned with a standalone ecu and manual gearbox, and could be plenty of fun, but hardware and software solutions maybe required to replace the factory set ups. Nothing is impossible but, it would be hard work. Would be fun to do in a race car where it could be set up properly for the track, but a road car would be a bit frightening, and if not done properly the cars value would be lost, which may or may not be a consideration.

Historically, 200 to 300kW power outputs were high performance until the driver aids progressively got better and better and engine outputs were steadily increased as the technology improved.

6. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    "It's more fun to drive a manual car 'slowly', than to play a video game fast".... or something like that.

Without the engagement that a manual gives, I'm not the market for a 458 or newer, despite "faster and more powerful". I'm good with that.

Jb-Slow and Golden Steed like this.
  7. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I asked a question and got snark in response. But I'm the one who's testy? Come on.

If someone in 1960 asks "what would it take to get us to the moon" and an engineer responded "why would you want to got to the moon, it's made of green cheese" would your consider that a reasonable reply? Probably not. I'd say my reply was more than reasonable.

I come from muscle. Chevy and Ford land. Getting every last drop out of the horsepower isn't really what drives us. Fun factor is. In our world dudes will drive a supercharged LS swapped Miata. Is it maximizing the engineering potential of the MX platform NO. But it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

And I'm not a track guy, so I don't even care about that aspect. Is it fun to race around on So Cal streets, that's my primary criterion. I think a stick F12 would be a blast to drive. Moreover, the only reason Ferrari doesn't make one is that demand dropped out. If folks were still buying manuals, there would still be manuals produced, regardless of how powerful the engine was or what driver aids were available.

I respect the dudes who want peak possible performance and tech wizardry. I'm not here to trash DCTs or anything of the sort. I just don't take it all that seriously, and fun is a stronger motivator for me. I'm not trying to shave .000004 of a second off my lap time. But more power to all of you that do.

This is the reality that I'm just going to have to accept. There's no real impetus behind manual swaps in Ferrari circles. Of course, you could put a Voodoo engine in a Portofino, but that would be sacrilegious. If manual swapping an F12 would make me a heretic, building a Fordrrari would get me burned at the stake. .

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You cannot covert a DCT into a manual shift it's impossible to do. You would have to engineer a completely new gearbox and drivetrain control system. If you want to spend that kind of money..that's up to you. You may have to accept the manually shifted car is pretty much dead in the super car market. And I don't say that because in a Ferrari tech..I say that because it's TRUE.

My heart belongs to the old girls..308/328/TR/512bb etc..but the reality is..none of these old birds hold a performance candle to anything produced from 2005 onward.. none. Do as you will..and enjoy yourself.. that's what it's about at the end of the day..

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Who said anything about converting a DCT into a manual? I certainly didn't. I said converting the car to manual, by means of REPLACING the DCT with an older transmission. I made that quite clear in the original post. The old F1 transmission from the 599 can indeed be converted to manual. It's been done already on the 575. It's that conversion which would be the basis of converting the car to manual.

Swapping gearboxes leaves the issue of the engine's brain and reteaching it how to behave under manual control. That is ENTIRELY possible, it's just a question of how to do it.

Sometimes when you do a thing just for the sake of doing it, an amazing thing happens. Something new and wonderful is discovered and it becomes iconic. Whether or not this conversion is worth doing comes largely down to what it would take to teach the F12's computers how to shift manually or (failing that) dumping the driver aids altogether and programming a blank ECU from scratch.

Is it worth it if the project alone cost a million dollars? No. But 100k? Probably.

kes7u likes this.
  10. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    European Auto Group has started their Lamborghini Huracan manual conversion project.

11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    To each their own...and as a die hard lover of the third pedal, I don't understand why one would want a modern, fast revving, mental horsepower exotic with a slow and clunky manual.

I think they stopped making them at, or around, the right time. Mid 2000s was when DCT tech really started showing what it was capable of.

Again, in my opinion, if you want a fast manual car, buy one that came with it then modify it to keep up with modern performance levels....not the other way around.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 430 with a manual is horrible to drive. The car just does not work. The 599 with the manual was horrible to drive..although much better then the 430.

The cars are not in anyway designed for a manual gearbox. To do it would be a complete reversal and a complete waste of money and time. It would in zero way be an enjoyable car to drive or own. Get over the fact the manually shifted gearbox is gone..deal with it or stick to owning old cars..like me..

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I love manuals; they're all I've ever owned.

But if you can shift a manual to a speed that it's only approximately .000004 difference from a DCT ... te salut.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Golden Steed likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Harry Metcalfe certainly disagrees with you, and most of us will defer to his judgement.....

Having said that, I think these conversions of complex electronic cars are stupid.

They will never be a seamless conversion.

I recently bought a 2005 Ford GT....the engine is in the right place, the transmission is wonderful, it's always the best looking car on the road, there are a world of performance upgrades available, and the car is just a damn great drive at any speed. Even the footwell is big enough for my size 13 feet without needing to resort to racing shoes.

Otherwise, a Porsche GT3 is a great modern manual transmission car.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They took the rest of the Ferrari away from the engine..very different.

Auraraptor likes this.
  17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    All cars mentioned were designed from the start with a manual gearbox in mind..massive differance.

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ROFL, dude drive a manual 599, you’ll understand what the folks here are saying. God, at first I thought you were a good faith contrarian. I’m starting see you boi.

19. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Why would it be an issue?
    A dct car when shifting gear tells the ecu to cut etc

How would the car even know a gear is changed?

Just need ecu to think a dct box is there when its not ??

20. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    You can make anything run anyway you want with a standalone setup, it's just the labor to program it that adds up. They may have had issues trying to reuse the factory computers and getting them to function differently than their designed use. Standalones are much more versatile in that way.

Anyhoo, I applaud your idea, manual swap everything and make drivers drive again.

21. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I have only bought manual sports cars, and for the foreseeable future, will continue to do so, but I don’t think it’s worth the time, money, effort to convert an f12. At the end of the day u will have a Frankenstein with a bunch of ecu glitches that very few people will be qualified or willing to attempt to fix. If u want a modern tire melter in 6mt, get a viper or c7 zr1…or 997gt2 rs if u can find one and willing to part with lots of cash

22. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Viper is definitely an interesting idea, although from a driver's standpoint you couldn't get a sports car that's further away from a Ferrari.

Precision vs brute force.

23. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Agreed, there is nothing quite like a gated v12 Ferrari! That’s why when I got the opportunity to buy an off-market gated 575, I just wired the money, no ppi, never saw it in person. Best gamble I ever made!

Golden Steed likes this.