Ferrari 456 Door Adjustment / Striker Wear | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 Door Adjustment / Striker Wear

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by wiscobadger, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wiscobadger

wiscobadger Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 20, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Cory Eastman
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Looking at the wear, it almost seems like the door is trying to latch onto the forward edge of the striker plate rather than on the thinner section?

I see that there are no shims in the parts manual to move the striker plate fore/aft. How is the up/down alignment of the door? Just wondering if hinge wear would cause misalignment like this?

3. wiscobadger

wiscobadger Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 20, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Cory Eastman
    Thanks for the response, checking the up/down alignment was a good thought. It does look like the door is a little low. Can it be moved slightly toward the rear and slightly up at the hinge? Would seem like that would allow it to hit the striker properly again and probably pull it closer to the body?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #4 Qavion, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Can you put a bit of masking tape on that thicker section of the striker plate, close the door and see if the masking tape is damaged, just to confirm that the door is hitting that leading edge thicker section of the striker plate? (EDIT: Conpare the condition of the passenger door to see if that's the same. It's likely to have less wear)

Looking at your up/down alignment photo, I'm not so convinced that door sag would be responsible for the striker plate damage shown in your photo. It would depend on the length of the door and how low the striker plate is in relation to the top hinge. Is there a noticeable difference in door gap at the top of the door compared to the bottom of the door?

I didn't check the parts manual to see if shims are fitted to the hinges.

5. wiscobadger

wiscobadger Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 20, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Cory Eastman
    The gap on the bottom is similar to the gap up top. Maybe slightly more, but I'd say close.

The tape experiment seemed to reflect the wear that is showing on the thicker section of the striker.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    By "thicker part", I meant this section:

I thought the door might be trying to partially latch onto the thicker part shown by the arrow. Looking at the visible tape damage,however, the door seems to be latching onto the normal thinner neck part.

Why is the plastic damaged and what are causing those scratches (above the arrow)?

Sorry, I have no idea where to go from here.

7. wiscobadger

wiscobadger Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 20, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Cory Eastman
    Just an update since it always bothers me to see threads with no resolution. Was able to get this fixed by a combination of door and striker adjustment. I didn't think there was any movement possible on the striker, but once I removed it found I could nudge it just enough.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    How did you adjust the door.

9. wiscobadger

wiscobadger Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 20, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Cory Eastman
    Door adjustment was done by my body shop. Not entirely sure what they did to move it up just a bit.