Alternator Belt Replacment | FerrariChat

Alternator Belt Replacment

Discussion in '308/328' started by Hotzos, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    I have a 1985 QV with the two belt set up. Any advice on how to replace the alternator belt? I was able to loosen the two bolts but the alternator can't move it far up enough to allow me to slip the old belt off. Do you have to remove the top bolt to give it that additional travel room? Or, am i missing something?

Appreciate the guidance. Thank you all very much.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Two belt set up means you have the belt driving the alternator and water pump ?

3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If its an 85, it should have 3 belts. I alternator, 1 Ac and 1 water pump.
    As to what it takes to change it, I think you have to remove one of the long bolts on the alternator. I seem to recall the factory installs the long bolt in a manner that makes it more difficult and folks usually reverse it to make the job easier in the future. It's been a while since I have done it. Maybe this will ring a bell with someone.I don't think you can loosen 1 bolt and remove the belt.

4. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    Correct, i have 3 belts in total (when i said two belts i meant one for alternator and one for water pump). For the alternator, i did loosen two bolts and i can get the alternator to move. The issue is i can't get it to rotate upward enough to create enough slack to remove the old belt - indicating i will not be able to install a new belt. Wondering if removing the alternator bolt on the slider bracket will give me just enough additional rotation to give me the additional slack i need. Or, is there a different way to do it. Hope my description makes sense. So, @ferrariowner your point about removing one bolt then makes sense.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ok, for future reference: 1 belt for the water, 1 for the alt, and 1 for the AC is a THREE belt set-up.

You don't need to actually remove any bolts. Loosen the one at the base, and the other at the upper bracket. Does the alt now rotate up?

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Cut the old belt off.
    Put the new one almost on, rotate the pulley such that it goes on the rest of the way.
    If needed to, buy the next size up.

7. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    @thorn - got it. Yes, it rotates up. Will try to rotate the new belt on.

@yelcab - yes, will cut the old one off and follow yours and thorn's advice to rotate the new one on.

Thanks so much

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't recall having to exceed the travel of the alternator sliding bracket slot, but the top bolt removal might do it.
    I have the early two belt pulleys though..

As mentioned, the bottom pivot bolt is so long it hits the tank before coming out!!
    Your old belt is still mounted?
    Why are you changing it?

Polybelts last forever, or until they slip one time...LOL!

9. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    The belt looks old (although the last major was only 3 years ago but the car was barely driven). I only acquired it last December so i am on a mission to change every belt and hose to reduce my chances of failure during long drives in the hills.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Your science is tight...…:D

11. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I was able to remove the old belt and install the new one. It was quite the challenge getting the alternator belt tight. I removed the shielding and that created more room. Also, i cut a 17mm wrench to make it fit in the tight space. Pretty fun Saturday i must say.

FrannyB likes this.