355 - Portable Lift | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Portable Lift

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, May 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    My scissor lift is on the floor and I just simply park my car over it. Easy....
    Its very convenient whenever you need to do any jobs on the car, its there ready to lift.
    I even lifted the car up when I was polishing it and cleaning the interior so that I didn't have to bend over so it was much better for my back.
    I'm also about to replace the tyres, so I'll simply lift the car and take the wheels to the tyre shop so some greasy pimply little tyre shop employee doesn't drive my car.....
    Lost of advantages to having a lift which is there ready to go...

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I must apologize I was referring to the Quickjacks in my original post and not the Maxjacks as those have to be bolted into the floor and the garage floor is at an incline. It does not make sense for me to drill into or cut into the concrete as I will be moving in a couple of years. Nor do I have any room to simply "drive over" a scissor lift. That leaves me with the Quickjack, which is my least preferred option. There is no way an engine out can be done with those I am sure, but is there a way to support the sub-frame with it? Is there a particular model to get that works best with the car?

3. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I think you'll struggle trying to do it on an incline to be honest.
    The scissor lift I have is indeed very very heavy, although it can be moved around its too heavy to stand up against the wall.
    Anything with enough structural integrity to lift the car safely and steady is simply going to be quite heavy sadly.
    I dont think the quick-jack will lift the car high enough, but its worth measuring to make sure because I am sure I have seen pictures of someone doing an engine out on a Testarossa using quick jacks...
    You can't beat the scissor lift though, best lifting device I have ever bought, shame you can't make that work for you!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

PaulK likes this.
  4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I plan to have a lift when I move in a few years. I put the car before the house! ;)

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Bendpak makes a quick type jack that is low rise that is for trucks that would probably work if you removed the bumper. You can get 30-32 inches with blocks. Pretty sure I mentioned that in post #2.

6. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    You've got your priorities right!!

PaulK likes this.
  7. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Seems like you could use a quick jack for an engine out. Once raised to max height, put jack stands under the car, or ramps/blocks under the wheels then lower it; then place blocks on the quick jack and raise back up.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's genius. Issue will be finding a place for the jack stands for the front with the lift there. I'm sure there is a solution. Like wheel ramps under all 4 wheels instead of jack stands.

This is high enough, but if you do what Quinn mentioned, you can go to 35-40. Plus leave the jack stands there for extra security.
    https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/low-rise-scissor-lifts/lr-10000/
    Lifting Height + Blocks: 31.5” (800 mm)

9. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Why make it complicated, it's doable with jackstands, just look at this guy if you haven't already..

PaulK and dvb247 like this.
  10. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Screw that for a joke, I'm too old for all that hoo haa, squirming around on the floor and so forth........But it is possible.

dvb247 likes this.
  11. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Here is another guy with jacks and engine out.