458 - What is your daily driver? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

458 What is your daily driver?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by eskanday, May 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The 2014 S4 is an amazing car. Supercharged and is one of the best handling cars in the twisties l have ever driven. Two guys at the Audi dealership want to buy it. 50k miles. Runs great. Floored in second gear pins you back. :)

joeyfrost likes this.
  2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Giulia QV and 458 together is craziness, I pinch myself that I'm so blessed. I hear you - I tried a few cars including the new Vantage and they were great but weren't enough compared to the Giulia to be worth the money.

Yet the 458 is another level - lower, louder, smoother power curve, but similar sharp steering and playful demeanor. When you test drive the one you're inevitably going to buy, make sure to the the tires warm and try the Race setting.

But yeah, it's a sporty lineup. Now that I basically daily the 458, some days I wish I had a truck or a Bentley for some cozy cruising.

3. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Another legend here!

ryalex likes this.
  4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Andynyc, Boomhauer, eskanday and 3 others like this.
  5. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I'm really interested how both 458 and 570 compare to you? I'm thinking of getting a 570 gt as DD or 488.

Thanks!

6. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I considered a 2017 570 GT a year ago and after reading so many things about electrical issues with these cars coupled with the fact that I don’t live in a city with a McLaren dealership, I didn’t feel comfortable buying it. We have a great first class repair facility here in Nashville with great mechanics that have all the computers and diagnostic tools for most McLarens, Ferrari’s and Lambos and one of the mechanics told me that there are some electrical issues on the early cars that actually are impossible to resolve. I felt that if I happened to be one of the unlucky ones, I would be transporting my car with a certain frequency to an authorized dealer. McLaren customer service and parts fulfillment has had some bad reviews by customers and I have heard that they are financially strapped right now. Go to YouTube and look up Jayemm. He is in England and has done some in depth analysis on McLaren. I absolutely love the 570 series cars. The look, the engine, the cool interior are so appealing but I went for 458 instead. I am glad that I did.

7. buckwheat

buckwheat Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Full Name:
    M. Stephen Martin
    I drove my 488GTB 45,123 miles during the first 22.5 months of ownership. I recommend it.

8. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Like the OP, I have a 2014 Tesla that I’ve put 104,000 miles on. It’ll go to my 16 year old daughter now and my 911 (991.1 manual) 4S will become my daily. The 458 for weekend mountain drives. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

BSheppard, Loxo, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Nice first post. Obviously, too busy driving to bother posting here. Bravo! Welcome.

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nice love to see these cars used!

SECRET likes this.
  11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    As you can imagine one would say, they are very different.

458 Italia/458 Speciale
    The Speciale, unique, has a very raw/barebones yet incredibly special feel to it. Perhaps because it is always on the tender, covered, and the interior makes you feel the width of the car more (your passenger seat feels much further away than a conventional car or the McLaren). It ends up being a bit more like that one perpetual calendar watch you have in your collection that needs to be on the watch winder or else it's a pain in the ass to set before using.

Something about using the Speciale didn't ever feel routine, even when I drove it to work for an entire week. The key was more gently cared for as it's painted and can chip/scratch easily. Before use, the car needs to be uncovered, and the tender needs to be removed (much more convenient on newer Ferraris). You had to plan to use the Ferrari. At least that was the case for me.

When you actually get on the road, all eyes are on the Speciale. Personal biases aside, it is such a beloved design that really made so many fans, customers, and even journalist fall in love with Ferrari even more than they had with the 458 Italia. If you daily drive a 458, especially a Speciale, you're doing something that most car enthusiasts out there would only dream of!

McLaren 570S
    The McLaren on the other hand is a whole different type of car. It's just ready to go at a moments notice. It has its battery life gauge to tell you how many more days of sitting around it can handle before it needs a charge. Therefore, almost never on the tender. From an outsiders perspective, the McLaren has a bit more of a mystique to it, in my opinion. It's a really unique design language, the door handles are nearly invisible so when you open the doors, it's like effortless magic, and a lot of people will approach asking what it is [still]. It's truly the "approachable" looking supercar for some reason.

As far as daily driving goes, the 570S is a great balance between supercar looks/feel vs everyday usability. That said, it's pretty lackluster in power below 3500rpm -- it feels like a high strung, low torque N/A car where the turbo was added after the fact. That is, simultaneously, a good and bad thing.

It's good because you do not constantly feel like you have tons of power beckoning you to drive faster. You really feel like you need to decide to drive fast by pushing it harder beyond a threshold to get into boost. As a daily this is a wonderful quality as you get the small sense that it's something special even during little moments like you pop open the door to get in & out. The 570S interior feels like a cockpit vs the 458/488 feels like wide supercar.

The bad... sound + low end power leaves something to be desired when you've finished the work week on Friday, and you're cruising home. That doesn't turn me off enough that I wouldn't suggest the 570S, but I will admit, I've contemplated a 720S as a daily recently.

Key things about me that may not apply to you:

· I have a very short commute, so my drive involves zero freeway miles or twisties. There are quite a few stop lights though.

· To and from work (during non-COVID times), I do not normally need to bring much with me. On weekends, I may bring home the laptop in a small messenger.

· I almost never have unexpected grocery or shopping trips that require me to have immediate storage available. 570S storage is pretty decent. I've never felt like I needed the extra storage from the GT.
    With all that said, I would highly suggest checking out a 570S alongside a GT. The ride is compliant enough to be a daily driver, and it definitely has that extra bit of special supercar look and feel to it. The 570GT wasn't quite my cup of tea at the time. If I did it again, I would have waited 1 month and gotten a 570S Spider!

06viper and pninja005 like this.
  12. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    I have a macan gts and an old tj wrangler but drive 458 daily

Need4Spd and m5shiv like this.
  13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
  14. Spider68

Spider68 Karting

Aug 21, 2010
    Switzerland
    Mine are a Cayenne Turbo and a 911 Turbo S convertible

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk Pro

15. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    FourFiveGreat, Schultz, Loxo and 3 others like this.
  16. Gn_

Gn_ Rookie

Oct 16, 2018
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gn
  17. eurocg

eurocg Karting

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Full Name:
    C
    '15 Range Rover SVR as the daily .... '15 Aston Martin GT Manual to keep me fresh .... and of course my favorite, '13 458 Spider

On the lookout for an f12

Attached Files:

FourFiveGreat, Loxo, SECRET and 2 others like this.
  18. gsxr_fvr

gsxr_fvr Karting

Nov 24, 2016
    Toronto, Ontario
    Perfect Garage & Stable.

Tamahal and Way2fast like this.
  19. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Thank you !!!

20. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Out of interest what width are those garage openings, I'm building two garages to house my f cars in my new house and need to work out opening widths. At the moment my current garage has a massive door around 7 meters wide but I'm moving from here so need to make sure I won't be scraping the mirrors on the way in and I don't want to put them in then have to break them out again

21. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Where I live, we don't have huge lots, so I don't have a huge estate. Bear that in mind as you read this.

We have a 22' wide 2 car garage from foundation footing to footing. We have a 18' wide door (widened from a 16' that was there when we bought the house). I park a full size Range Rover and a McLaren 570S inside. I generally have stuff on the walls, but literally do not use the space between the car and sidewalls at all.

I park the Range over backwards so the driver's door is facing the McLaren. And the McLaren goes straight in.

To get a comfortable drivers door swing for both cars the cars really need to HUG the door opening. Luckily, my wife and I are pretty good with this and haven't had any issues.

If I were to build the garage from the ground up for a 2 car, I would have preferred a 20' garage door with a 30' interior width.

22. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Cheers dude I want to make sure I'm not close on any side, my cousin took the whole side or his maserati out on a garage once and my old neighbour my took out a Bentley on his side wall and I never saw that car again, I saw it happen and it was so painful to watch he's not a great driver but still I don't want to take any risks with my cars. We are in London so don't have huge space either until I get get to the main residence, then I'll have space again but it will take ages to build back up once the bulldozers come in hopefully construction starts in 3 to 4 months but this covid is slowing down other projects so only time will tell

23. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    Loxo, SECRET and PTG1 like this.
  24. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'll see what the max is I can get in on these garages, if its really tight I might have to knock 2 into 1 but hopefully it will be OK

25. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    8.5" is max legal width for a vehicle in the US barring special permit. An 8' door can be done for most vehicles, but not ideal. 10' is better, but 12' is better than that. With 12' one can nose a car in and still comfortably walk around either side of it as needed.

PTG1 likes this.