FERRARI OIL CHANGE POLICY | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FERRARI OIL CHANGE POLICY

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ajr550, Mar 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Karting

Nov 4, 2006
    Yes, left, rear side of engine under a plastic shroud.

otakki likes this.
  2. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Yup.

Could be worse, with my GT3 RS there is no dipstick & the oil fill is on the dash. The difference between MAX and MIN is about 250 ml. You get an oil warning light after 1 day on the track. Then you guesstimate how much to add.

The specs on the 812 is 1.35 L between MAX and MIN.

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Is there a Ferrari without a stick?

4. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    How long has Ferrari been recommending Quaker state at there oil change intervals..

vraa likes this.
  5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Quaker State?! I thought it'll need to be Shell synthetic. I prefer Mobil 1 0W-40.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Uh, never... but DID make me laugh out loud..

S

7. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Just had my annual on my FF at Ferrari FtLauderdale and they used Quaker state..

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    For a while they were suggesting it, less than five years, it's all about sponsorships

9. steven t evans

Jul 24, 2020
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Evans
    The best oil out there now is API SN PLUS PLUS helps prevent LSPI Pistons do not like LSPI

10. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Was the conversation earlier suggesting that dealers are not changing the oil annually at the annual maintenance interval? Only if the software says to????

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    correct

12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    After the 7-years free maintenance period is over and you are paying for services a la carte, I am sure the oil will be changed annually regardless of what the software says.;)

13. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Isn’t that sort of insane? Who wouldn’t expect the oil changed annually on these cars?

14. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    Some people are driving a few hundred miles a year only so why changing the oil?

Sent from my SM-G981B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Ok so the oil isn't changed in year 1 because the car has done 400 miles, its not changed in year two because the car has done 800 miles, at what point in 7 years does the oil get changed if the car does low miles considering that oil degrades over time.

16. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Because it is one year old and should be. It’s not just driven miles that matters. I’m not sure why one would do that even as recommended on a low grade sedan annually but not on a $300k plus or more supercar on the most part of the vehicle.

17. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    There is always a grey between black & white.
    I don't think and never heard that engine oil is getting bad after one year otherwise there would be an expiry date on the can.
    But I think they are changing the oil after 2 years low milage because they skipped it last time already...

Sent from my SM-G981B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Ok well let’s see what others say here as I would never let oil sit using a car for 400 miles on my Lamborghinis. Much less a Cayenne or similar. I seriously doubt anyone here is going without oil changes at a minimum annually.

19. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Doesn't it matter that this is the first oil change in a brand new engine for the OP? Seems crazy that you would not swap it after a year no matter the miles

Dubaicity and gliazzurri like this.
  20. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Absolutely 1000000000%!!!
    And for those not changing it based on mileage I guess you aren’t changing brake fluid much either if you don’t drive it because you aren’t using the brakes? These are degradable and consumable fluids that have to be cycled over time. The decay and become spoiled over time by combustion or engine particles or with water or other contaminants.

21. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^There is another thread on this board about 812 oil consumption and the consensus seems that most of these engines burn some oil. If this is the case you would think the first oil change for a high perf V12 should be really important and not neglected!

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Exactly my thoughts. Over the summer, long before the oil consumption thread, I paid out of pocket to have the oil changed. I think it was around $700. Seems foolish to spend almost $500,000 on a car, and worry about the $700 for fluids. Of course, my heartburn was in not being made aware of this change in policy regarding what the 7 years of maintenance covers. I consider this to be piss poor customer service on the part of Ferrari. Frankly, it’s a blatant, and altogether outrageous, money grab. And that it was handled in clandestine fashion is all the more insulting.

SeattleStew likes this.
  23. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Does modern oil really degrade over time?

Do a blackstone analysis, there are also other companies that do oil analysis

If anyone wants to see the future of Ferrari just look at RACE

We're just wallets to Ferrari now......

24. BusterX

BusterX Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Due to some family connections, I had access to some senior engineering types at one of the world's largest lubricant producers. Their comment was that consumer sentiment is way, way behind modern lubricant technology. In general, modern synthetic oils are good for many multiples of what people think.

Dubaicity likes this.
  25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think Enzo looked at clients as wallets....