C8 CORVETTE | Page 17 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki, k wright, TheMayor and 3 others like this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  3. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Hey! I'm no lard ass but I hate having to climb over a wide sill.Only your dog will enjoy jumping in the car. The worse I have been in is the saleen s7. Having to crawl out is not cool.

anunakki likes this.
  4. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    So, we are all going to need the data on that wheel and tire size because that is perfect for this car.

anunakki and jm2 like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #405 jm2, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Vossenwheels.com.
    Not sure of the size
    Vossen EVO5R

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

But it's not black, yippee! I'm not a fan of grey/black rims.

jm2 likes this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    My position on black wheels is well known around these parts.
    But if someone likes ‘em, whatever.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The C8 is lighter than Audi R8 and 100lb more than a FordGT. All those airbags etc are heavy. The C8 will be near 3800 with me in the car. My 2019 mustang GT racecar is not fully gutted due to class rules but was 3800lbs added in 150lbs of steel rollcage gutted out 90% of the interior and now weigh 3600 off the track with me in the car! All that safety padding, 20 way power seats, stereo and screens, 7 anti theft antennas, and all the rest add tons of weight. You want a decent seat unlike all the hate the light C5Z06 seat got you are going to add 50lbs! You want to quiet that big V8 behind your head and keep the interior cool you are going to get 25lbs of insulation. There is no free lunch and the C8 isn't a GT chassis but tuned to feel like one while providing sportscar performance. That level of NVH control costs you weight too!

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    jm2 likes this.
  10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Keep the pics and discussion coming. Some of us are now unemployed and sitting around reading !

11. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Getting mine setup for track duty. Setting to GM spec is quite the job, about 4 hours just to get in place (involves unbolting control arms, etc.), then one has to finish alignment. Also, have to add 2 qts to the transmission fluid.

Will have it at VIR this weekend- praying for decent weather, we have been getting lots of rain lately. Sitting at just over 1200 miles, need to get it over 1500 before track use, per GM.

Owner’s manual has specific settings and recommendations - I had to point my dealer to the info.... fingers crossed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

pic for interest: uphill esses from the condos.

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    what's that about, could you explain? thanks
    You seem pretty serious about track set-up - do you have track-only wheels and tires?
    Do you still have a 600LT?
    Looking forward to your track adventure! :)

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    For what it's worth when I ordered my 15 ZO6 Auto . I changed my Interior from a 1 to a 2, added a carbon fiber dash & changed the Exterior Color approx 2 weeks after acceptance without any problem except lost my position in line whatever that meant. My car turned out to be the very first Auto Z06 Commercially made.

14. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Not serious, just laborious. Moving washers, etc.
    They recommend you move back, which I won’t do. My tires won’t wear out on the street, before I destroy them on track.

Sold 600LT- the cost to run on track was eye watering. Thing was a beast.

BJK likes this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Sooo, you're going to run stock wheels/tires? (cuz they probably make the biggest difference on track, right?)

16. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yeah, I’m not looking for time, just fun (I get competitive when racing). Set up is to prevent cording tires prematurely. When I get a Z06, I will probably go for a set light weight wheels.

BJK likes this.
  17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Please report on your trackday! Few have tracked these cars

of2worlds, boxerman and sainthoo like this.
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    You guys gotta check out this vid series, Hypercar Invitational, (3 so far) on track (a cold Road Atlanta) with Randy Pobst testing owners cars. CGT, Huarya BC, LaF, P1 and 918
    https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/huayra-bc-is-faster-than-the-holy-trinity.622600/

"Hypercar Invitational was born out of the idea of bringing a group of gearhead friends together to share the experience of driving hypercars. We wanted to make this relatable to more people's driving,
    so we invited both amateur and professional drivers together to share and compare their different perspectives. At the end of the day, we then gather and discuss our various perspectives in a non-scripted, laid back atmosphere.
    This became, Hypercar Invitational."

sainthoo likes this.
  19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ok so theres lots of ways to loose weight for the z06 version then,just in seats alone.

R8 was never anything anyone considered going near the track in and it took untill the performante for the lambo version to be considered.

Agreed the new ford Gt is also too heavy. But that trick suspension has got to be heavy in and of itself..

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I keep hearing that about Maclren.
    What was involved in runnign the 600lt on track?
    It will be very interesting to hear your compro to the vette.

BJK likes this.
  21. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I didn’t actually add it all up, so forgive me a bit of self preservation- ballpark $8K for 1 day (pre and post inspection, transport to and from dealer, alignment, tires, brake pads).

Having said that- ludicrous speed and capability. McLaren are the pinnacle right now. Back straight at VIR, cresting that hill about 3/4 of the way down the straight, doing >180. I was coasting from there into braking zone. Could have done 190+ into braking zone. Walked a GT2 RS. It never even broke a sweat, could have done it for days if I had the tires/brake pads. They are lightweight and powerful. Just can’t fight physics at those speeds, tires and brake pads are not going to last.

For the love of all that is Holy, what will a 765 do?

of2worlds likes this.
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Just can’t fight physics at that weight, tires and brake pads are not going to last. :) Your C8 is around 400 lbs? heavier. :eek: (of course it's also about $200k? cheaper)

23. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I would guess more like 600-700# more (C8 at 3700-3800, 600 LT 3100ish). I need to eat more lettuce to close that gap.

of2worlds and BJK like this.
  24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    In general, are rear engine cars easier on front pads, or no diff where the weight is with braking?

25. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in, but the rear brake pads and rotors are bigger on the C8, because they will contribute more. Not sure how much that will really save the front pads at the end of the day.