Selleck exiting the 308 by jumping over the door | FerrariChat

Selleck exiting the 308 by jumping over the door

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The GF has the Hallmark channel on, which is running Magnum PI episodes, i was walking by and saw Selleck get out of the car by putting one hand on the rear roof and one hand on the windshield frame and jump out over the closed door.

But, the scene cut to him just basically jumping out, not stopping the car and then jumping out in one continuous sequence.

Couple comments and questions:

"I" cannot get out on my car like that, sometimes it seems can barely get out the normal way. LOL.

I owned my car when i was 27 YO, i don't think i could have gotten out like that back then, either, the steering wheel is in the way., though i could get in and out a lot faster the normal way 36 years earlier vs now.

Since the scene seems to cut in just as he is jumping out of the car, i would think, either he is pre-crouched on the seat, or floor, (maybe they removed the seat for these scenes), of there is no steering column in the car allowing for the legs to be pulled up quickly,and pivot and jump out.

Would it be possible for tall athletic person to go from sitting in the car, with steering wheel in place,and jump out like that over the closed door? i don't think so IMO.
    Doug

2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Having seen Cirque du Soleil I would say there is someone out there that could do whatever seems physically improbable

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

greg328 likes this.
  3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    You are also worried about breaking turn signal stalks, bending the steering column, etc. Tom (or his stunt double) had no such concerns. They also had stunt cars that they could abuse for scenes like that. With all that and camera angles and editing, nothing will look impossible.

Albert-LP and greg328 like this.
  4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Put both feet on the wheel well above the sill, grab the windshield frame with both hands then pull up while pushing with your legs as you slide up the back of the seat. I just tried it and it works for me but I'm only 5'11" and 178 lbs. Of course I never do it that way for me ingress/egress is one direction - down. I slide down into the seat to get in then roll out onto the ground to get out.

Speaking of Magnum and doors, I don't think his buddy Rick ever used the door but that was the passenger side.

5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I recall an episode where he tossed the targa top off the back as he sped away.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That was TC, not Ric.

Used to drive me nuts.

readplays likes this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A few years ago, I visited friends in PA on my way home from the FCA annual meet in Corning. I was having trouble with the latch on the passenger door, so when I wanted to give their 19-year-old son a ride, I suggested that he just climb over the door. Since the kid was 5'11" and a good athlete, I figured that would be easy for him, and it was. When I got back to GA, I had the door latch attended to; end of problem.

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That was the pilot episode right after he "stole" the Ferrari from under Higgin's watch and I don't think the targa top was ever seen again.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    GTS lack an upper window mullion, so "yes" technically, but it's a good point to kick your switch stalks would totally undo the "cool" factor of the move.

greg328 likes this.
  10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    There's a good word! I don't think any of us are using "mullion" enough... Well done, Alan!

Sent from my SM-N920I using FerrariChat.com mobile app

greg328 likes this.
  11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I thought that too but there was defiantly a scene where he drove the car with a female passenger in the rain so it did come in handy later on.

12. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    and before that when he was picking the door lock, he was saying "work the lock, don't look at the dogs, you looked at the dogs.".....
    Yes, the hammered the crap out of those 308's in Magnum PI, there were some pretty good stunt driving scenes from time to time.....
    Loved the series!!

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    There was that one and one more but I don't recall the scene at the moment.

Rosey likes this.
  14. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    On to hands and knees? A friend of mine got out of the pass side like that recently. Wish i had someone take a vid of it. LOL.

My left leg is pretty stout from getting in and out, I just open the door, put my leg out, pivot a bit and lift myself straight up. I don't even need to hang onto the windshield frame, or mullion, or door.

I stabilize myself by placing my left hand in the bottom of the side scoop in the rear fender.

Doug

15. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Dont try at home

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I even have difficulties getting out the 308 with the door open... :D

And then, even I were an NFL cornerback, I would scratch half the interiors, levers and buttons...

Ciao

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well,

It's an anodized black aluminum mullion,. with the goofiest darn bolt and nut known to mankind, holding the upper corner together!!
    Don't lose it...

The GTBs DO have a full window surround, and after a crash we had to mount a GTS replacement door and move all my system over.....
    Step 1 was to trundle off to the welder, to put in additional brackets of some sort, as the doors were that much "different", which was rather surprising.

Looks like Albert-LP has the answer.
    I believe the seats rails were already deleted in the car that Selleck actually had to drive..