And so it begins, car value crash... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

And so it begins, car value crash...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 09Scuderia, Apr 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DW68

DW68 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    D Wilson
    Ran out of time....add to this that some manufacturers are very, very tight on funds so they simply cannot throw money at the new car market. If they did, then they could cause used prices to drop to respond to this.
    (It is clear since the last recession that the monies they were making has been absorbed by R&D for wherever they see power trains going and their own operations ran with little or no profits and that's even after factoring in the way they rinse their own networks for every shred of profit they can. There was a time both Dealer, Distributor and Manufacturer all had a slice to live off but it has migrated up the food chain to the Manufacturer who has often pre spent it) Dealers need that prime used stock to pay the bills and their bigger operations have become dependent on it, as they chase to maintain stock they will maintain values of good units in doing so.

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    And old joke from the car business:

A customer says to the salesman: "We're here for the 0% financing. Can you do any better?"

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I agree with this . I just bought a used 2020 PISTA (with200 miles) the advertised price was about 45k more than I paid through a Ferrari Dealer .. ...

4. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Can you tell us the price you paid relative to MSRP?

5. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I think it is way to early to determine whether there will be a crash in the exotic & classic car market. The last crash of the early nineties was two years in the making, it did not happen overnight and financial conditions were very different

The dealers I speak to have actually had a very decent two months, with plenty of new and used cars sold in March and April as even “closed” dealerships continued to operate. The outbreak of the crisis saw a few cancellations, resulting in 812 GTS and SF90 build slots becoming available, but nothing particularly worrisome. Also car financing here in Switzerland has tightened a little bit with some deals being turned down, but none of this looks like a major crisis.

Crises like these erode buying power from the bottom up and given low levels of interest rates it will take a lot for the entire market to crash. The market for “entry” classics is already in recession. However the top end of the exotic/classic car market is driven by wealth and liquidity, not global employment and wage growth. Liquidity is ample and stock markets have weathered the pandemic remarkably well (almost too well), so it is hard to expect an impact on that part of the market in the short term.

Naturally the current situation will probably mean further price stagnation driving away people who played in the exotic car market expecting zero depreciation and some of those who view collector cars purely as financial investments to be stashed away in expectation of a windfall, but that is not necessarily a bad thing for most of us.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    just a little below MSRP ..

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i had the same reaction - pista is a great great car.....worth $500k + ? not for me.
    at that price point and even below, there are many more interesting cars to choose from in the vintage section that can be enjoyed without needing to risk your license to do so. i wont be getting a pista at that price, but i certainly hope those who own them already enjoy them to the max coz depreciation is coming for you.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and a flappy paddle 575 sells for $160k on bat........................

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What? 160k? Was there somthing speacial about it? Famous owner, delivery miles, original air in the tires etc..

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Original owner wanted it back and made it happen. Sentimental value.

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Original owner was former racing driver and race team owner Bobby Rahal - So I think he could afford it and who doesn't like a car you previously owned in many cases...

Robb

12. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    That place is a cult. Can't handle it.

ChipG and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    It takes 2 to tango though, who was the other bidder going nuts over it?

14. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Probably the sellers shill account to fake bid it up

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i saw

that car would have sat on ebay for months at 100k

ChipG likes this.
  16. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Bobby won the Indy 500 in 1986!

Jakuzzi and Robb like this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Sometimes we place too much emphasis on dollars and not enough on emotional content, good for him getting back something important to him...life is short.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    For sure. And Mr. Rahal wouldn't even notice the extra cost.

19. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I’ve met him a few times at local events and he has always been extremely friendly. Several years ago at the fall vintage races at Road America he let my son look around his collection of cars in the paddock. One of Rahal’s paddock mates let my son sit in the Devin he was driving. Great guy.

Boomhauer, ewright, Tamahal and 2 others like this.
  20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The assumptions that the market crashed isn’t true for all cars. Superb examples are still desired.

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Maybe it’s also because lockdown has made us reassess our lives. Spend time doing the things you love (being with family, driving cars) instead of endlessly chasing or worrying about the next $. That’s for those fortunate enough to have reserves in the bank, I’m not being callous.
    and if you do have a reassessment of your priorities and you love cars, you’re going to be looking at the market. I know I am more inclined to buy another car now than I was 3 months ago. Even though I am no wealthier.

flat_plane_eddie and Thecadster like this.
  23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I agree..however there is the opposite effect. Where people (even very wealthy people) realize they are working for thier possessions. I know quite a few collectors who are actively seeking to unload the needless cost of a large collection and just focusing on aquiring 2 or 3 prime collector peices..

PTG1, Themaven, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.