A backup camera mirror installation | FerrariChat

A backup camera mirror installation

Discussion in '360/430' started by tomconte, Mar 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    I thought I'd write something about installing the Master Tailgaters "Sleek" rearview mirror in my 360 Spider.

It's mostly a job of routing wires. Here's a guide for how to take the A pillar trim off:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/142200712/
    The top interior trim is held on only by the visors and two screws inside the dome light.
    Then you can easily route the wire down. I tapped into the radio harness for the power.

The rearview mirror comes with a standard (US automakers) mount.
    After some searching, I discovered this part that, although it's made by a different company, replaces the existing mount with a Ferrari-friendly mount:
    Gazer MB014 Replacement Pad for Car Rear View Mirror
    With that, it's plug and play.

Yes the mirror is wider than stock, but that actually helps the rear view.
    The no-button-bulge design of the Master Tailgaters Sleek is much less offensive than others:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BruceC likes this.
  2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    This is one mod that I've been itching to pull off. Couldn't find the right mirror so I was contemplating buying one and having a glass shop "modify" it to fit the housing to have something looking OEM. Can you shoot a couple more pics showing overall image. Also, where did you pull power from?

3. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    I would love to do this mod with an auto dimming homelink mirror

4. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Ghostdiver likes this.
  5. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    I had previously installed a reverse camera (the Boyo VTL405TJ Ultra Slim Bar Type License Plate Camera, very happy with it) and routed its wiring to my (then) stereo head unit. Thus I routed the wiring for the Master Tailgaters mirror to the stereo section and spliced into switched power.

If you're curious, you can read about my prior head unit here.

I decided to go back to the stock becker unit, however, with a Yatour bluetooth interface.

Ghostdiver likes this.
  6. @CTEVN

@CTEVN Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2020
    @tomconte couple questions:

1) does the yatour BT let you use the radio's buttons to change songs?

2) do you still have your old Kienzle Mcr 1031, if so would you be interested in selling it?

7. abahbout

abahbout Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Foster City, CA
    Full Name:
    Arie Bahbout
    Very nice. I wish ii would have search on ferrari chat earlier. I ended up purchasing a Vantop H610 and ven though it does not replace the existing mirror, I like the fit and the 2K camera. Can someone tell me where to plug the power to the camera on the reverse connector?
    Thanks.
    Arie
    2014 F360 yellow spider

8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Does it go into rear view camera mode when you select reverse or you have to do it manually?
    Asking to find out if there is a reverse signal wire inside the cabin.

9. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    It detects reverse and then switches on the display.

But listen: have your dealer or a competent auto glass shop install the (supplied) mount nub. I didn't, used and adapter and it shook so much on the highway that I couldn't see clearly behind me. Removing the factory nub and then putting on the supplied nub solved that.

Love it, by the way. It's larger than the OEM mirror and thus the rear view is better in my spider.