360 - HVAC "clunk" | FerrariChat

360 HVAC "clunk"

Discussion in '360/430' started by mfennell70, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    When I start my car and turn on the climate control, there's a 'clunk' as something in the HVAC unit opens or closes. I could have sworn I saw a reference to a fix once but my FerrariChat/Google search fu is failing me.

I'm pulling my dash to replace the defrost vents with aluminum so I'll have access.

Thanks for any pointers!

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I think that clunk is the magnetic clutch, for the a/c compressor, engaging.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have that too. Never gave it a second thought until now, ha. It comes from behind the dash, not the back, if it's the same one I am thinking of. I think it's normal and has never affected the operation of the HVAC.

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Pretty sure it’s an Hvac flap changing positions. Mine does too

E60 M5 likes this.
  5. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Mine does this also. When I first got my 360 I thought it snapped with the noise I heard but it works 100% so got use to it. :D

6. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Ye, same here. Its quite loud "clunk" tbh. Kind of plastic flap opening sound.

7. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    There are a series of motors called flapper motors in the heater box behind the centre console. Often on start-up, the recirculate motor opens and closes a flap which is at the base of the heater box and is pretty audible.

The part circled in yellow is the recirculate flap and the flapper motor is in red. If it runs for more than a few seconds, make sure the plastic rod that connects to the flap hasn't broken which can cause the motor to run excessively.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    So, a case of "they all do that" then? I was so damn sure I had heard of a 'fix'. It's funny, I've owned the car for nearly 10 years but can't recall if it's always made the noise or not.

Thanks guys.