One off Ferrari 308 GT Rainbow | FerrariChat

One off Ferrari 308 GT Rainbow

Discussion in '308/328' started by miketuason, May 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Yep.

Its been in magazines since I was a kid.

readplays likes this.
  2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I always thought the targa roof was especially clever

miketuason likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh yes....note from the specs that has a full 255HP version of our engine.

This was a continuation in my mind of the FIAT X1/9 school of thought, by Bertone.
    It remains as a footnote to History, as about that time the curtain opened on the Pininfarina GTB/S.

It also resembles the GT4, a little.
    Even the Lancia Stratos??

So while it looks crazy to modern view, it was not as odd as you'd think, at the time.

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Designer on drugs?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- which make Pininfarina's 308GTB design look even more beautiful when introduced ;)

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Same for me; seen in almost any/every book about the 308. Surprised our own Mike didn't see it before.
    As an aside, the pics seems to have been taken at "Château de Chantilly" (Département de l'Oise, north of Paris, close to)

Rgds

readplays and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  7. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    One-off by Bertone on the 308 GT4 frame and powertrain.

readplays likes this.
  8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Funny that you mention Stratos as I was thinking the same as I was looking through the pictures.

9. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Looks like a larger and improved X19

Saabguy and Rosey like this.
  10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't see a Stratos, at all.

I do see a Fiat X1/9.

Saabguy and Rosey like this.
  11. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    There’s a reason they only made 1...

12. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Design by Marcello Gandini. Same as for Lancia Stratos,308 GT4, Fiat X1/9, Citroen BX, Lamborghini Miura , Lamborghini Bravo, Lamborghini Countach, Alfa Romeo Carabo and many other dream cars

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yep. Legendary Italian designer and still living.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hell looking at that last rear view, I can squint and see a Cadillac Allante!!

Trunk profile and roof line.....
    Time for bed......LOL!

15. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Wow - the 3/4 rear view is stunning - I can visualize it an SYD MEAD futuristic world!

I am shocked that as a teenage owner of a 1976 X1/9, I don't remember it in a magazine!

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's quite charming, in a vintage retro way... but that "rainbow" decal on the back... horrifying.

17. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Here are some of the beauty shots from the era, using the astronaut / jet fighter pilot theme. The interior shot shows gauge layout that is heavily leveraged from the 308 GT4

Attached Files:

morcal and miketuason like this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    NoGoSlow likes this.
  19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree.

This has been in my memory since the 80s.

Matt

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Who owns it now?

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Probably in a museum somewhere.

22. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Fortunately, no I haven't. It is not sexy like most F cars, it looks like a kids transformer toy.

Doug

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It's from 1976 - When curves were the past, and everything in the future was going to angular and wedged shape (think Lamborghini Countach/Lotus Esprit S1/Fiat X1/9/Aston Martin Lagonda).

People are looking at it in horror today, and mocking it's appearance, because they're looking at it out of the context of when it was made.

If we look back to the fashions of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's, in general, they look ridiculous now (Teddy boy suits & crepe shoes, winkle picker shoes, kipper ties, flared trousers/bell bottoms, "power suits" with huge shoulder pads, puffball skirts, "Miami Vice" style suits with the jacket sleeves rolled up, shell suits etc., etc., etc.), but in period, they were all seen as being cool.

Take a look at the car on which the Rainbow is based on: The Ferrari 308 GT4.

When it came out in the 70's, it was hailed as being a great looking car, with a nod to the future, rather than rehashing the past. Within a very short time though, it lost favour, and became one of the most disliked Ferrari's of all time. In the late 80's/early 90's the 308 GT4 was the bargain basement Ferrari, with used prices dropping down into the same sort of area as a four door Ford family saloon. The problem?: It aged incredibly badly at the time!

It turned out that the future wasn't all angular, and sharp wedged shaped - People wanted curves, as demonstrated by the instant and continuing love for the 308/328 GTB/GTS series. Ferrari realised they needed a four seater that was curvier than the 308 GT4, and went to Pininfarina to create the Mondial (still not the greatest design ever, but it didn't "age badly" in the way that the 308 GT4 did).

The 348 suffered a similar fate to the 308 GT4. When it first came out, people loved the look, it was an evolution of the 80's Testarossa look, and hinted at a very stylised future, rather than just rehashing the past again. But as with the 308 GT4, the love was short lived. The overly detailed slats and grilles styling aged very quickly (albeit not quite as badly as the 308 GT4 did, in part because the 348 possessed curves), and the 348 became a bargain basement Ferrari, still unloved by many to this day. Again, Ferrari realised that their customers wanted their Ferrari's to look less futuristic, and be a bit more traditional, and so the door slats were dropped, and the rear light grille and rectangular tail lights were dropped. Unhindered intakes replaced the door slats,four round tail lights replaced the rectangular lights, and the nose of the car was given a slightly more rounded appearance, creating the F355. Look closely though, and you will realise that the design of the F355 is basically just a facelift of the 348 design.

Something strange though, has happened to both the 308 GT4 and the 348 - Suddenly, they have a retro-cool to them.

People (not everyone, but a lot more than there used to be), are starting to look at them and think: "Actually, that's a better looking car than I thought it was!"

The fanbase for both cars is growing, year on year, and the values of both are starting to climb (in the UK right now, the 308 GT4 sells for a higher price than almost all of the Mondial's, and 348's are priced higher than some of the 360's for sale!)

So the Ferrari Rainbow: In some ways it's a bit of 1970's Bertone futuristic folley, but it was deemed cool in it's day (for a short while at least), and whilst it's unlikely to make a "cool-look comeback" in the manner of the 308 GT4 & 348, it should really be viewed in the context of when it was made - at a time when flares/bell bottoms were deemed to be cool!

Pero, JCR and Rosey like this.
  24. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Have not seen nor thought about the Rainbow in a very long time, but if memory serves, it was offered through Hammacher Schlemmer and the price tag was a cool $250k....that's going completely off of 30, 40 year-old memories, could be off on the price.