Annual maintenance $$ cost for Dino? | FerrariChat

Annual maintenance $$ cost for Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Husker, Dec 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I currently own a 348ts. The annual repairs and maintenance are practically nill, aside from fluid changes and that 30K service every 5 to 7 years.

On the Dino...how much $$ does it take annually to keep a nice one in good working order? Are they reliable? Do they require constant attention?

Thanks in advance for your responses, Dino owners.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

After a major engine service (rebuild) I've had very little maintenance cost the 1st year. Maybe $500.00. (put about 3K miles on it this summer.)

Oil change, checkup at 500 and 2500 miles to make sure all is well. But, it is my understanding that I'll need to keep a close eye on the valves, get them checked/adjusted every 10K.

On the upside, the Dino has a chain for the cams, so the broken belt fear is not an issue.

Tune up can be tricky. We're still tweaking it to get it to run really right.

Gearbox is a little more fragile in 2nd gear. And a fix of the synchro in 2nd only serves to make you want to fix it every 10K miles or so.

Most articles I've read feel that except for parts costs, the Dino can be just as expensive to maintain as a vintage V-12 F car. Only saving grace is you need half as many engine parts for a rebuild.

Having said that. You also have to remember these are 30+ year old cars. Stuff is gonna break on them that won't on a newer car, just because they are older. Also more susceptable to rust. Some parts are made of pure unobtainium, and cost major $$$ to get, or have to be fabricated from scratch. Try finding a window frame piece, or some of the parts for the distributor. I have 8 or 9 places I call to try and find parts.

Do you want a car that needs ot be tinkered with? And that needs you to be passionate about it yo keep it in top shape?

To sum up. Parts can be scarce, and very expensive. Running cost seems to be in line with other classic F cars. Insurance is cheaper, you can get excellent coverage from a classic insurer for less than $300 a year. The car is a hoot to drive, unbelievable in the turns, and IMO, one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

They are affordable to buy, not scarce and running up at mach 10 like the 250's and 330's, so that helps to mitigate some of the other costs.

Where else can you get this much fun and beauty in a car for under $80K?

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Very helpful post, Dave! I agree that it is one of the most beautiful cars out there. How long have you had yours? Where did you find it? How many miles are on it?

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#4 dm_n_stuff, Dec 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A little over a year.

I walked in to Algar Ferrari about a year ago and starting talking about my wanting to find a Dino that was affordable with the owner of the dealership.

Imagine my surprise when he said to me, "Leave me your number, if I find something I'll give you a call."

I figured I'd never hear from him, but less than a week later he called me and told me to get over there, that they had one that he had just brought in. I live a mile from the dealer.

So I hustled down. He told me he had a couple of other folks who wanted the car, but that I had first refusal rights. We worked out a price, subject to a PPI. We settled on $62K for the car, did the PPI, and the car needed $20+K worth of work.

Bob negotiated with the owner, we landed on a price after the ppi, and they did the work at Algar. End result, everyone, except the previous owner who had let the car get run down, went away happy.

There is a nice blue one at Algar right now. GTS, US Spec, good shape, if you'd like details, PM me.

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jedi and UroTrash like this.
  5. Powerm99

Powerm99 Rookie

Feb 4, 2019
    Amazing thread from 2004; well bought Dave.

NYC Fred likes this.
  6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Dave, in all likelihood, the blue Dino in your post is my Dino, 04808. It was sold by Algar in late 1973, but not delivered until April of 1974. Ironically enough, it has been at Algar since last December, for fluid service and various repairs. It was quite a surprise to see that picture of a car that I have owned since 1976! Thank you! Fred

7. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My mistake, Dave. The blue GTS in your post must be my GT's open-top twin! I wonder where it is now? Fred

8. Powerm99

Powerm99 Rookie

Feb 4, 2019
    @2GT any interest in selling your Dino; if it looks like the one in the photo then it must be in great condition?

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    You need to disclose whether you are an actual buyer or an aspiring broker?

10. Powerm99

Powerm99 Rookie

Feb 4, 2019
    Real buyer here, trying to find a legit, not story Dino. Seems hard to find these days.

11. Powerm99

Powerm99 Rookie

Feb 4, 2019
    @375+ do you have Dino for sale?

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Might be worth to pay for subscription and place a "wanted" ad in classifieds...

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Nothing for sale, sorry.

14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    To the original question, the answer is inexpensive for general maintenance. But, many times you will be restoring 50 yr old mechanicals. So it depends on what has been done to your specific car and your personal abilities at fixing things. They are a true joy to own.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So nobody wishes to address real maintenance concerns/costs, which usually on ANY car, new or vintage, depends on usage, i.e. annual mileage ? :confused:
    Do you plan to drive enough to go through a set of tires in a year ? Two ? Three ? Brakes ? Even if driven as little as 2-3 thousand miles annually, it is good to replace all fluids, filters, etc at least once a year, rubber based/-type consumables, i.e. belts, bushings, hoses (esp, brake & fuel), tires, etc every 5 or so years...

16. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    It's a 300 thousand dollar car - insurance will cost a few bucks.

17. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
  18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Great job! It has been my experience in SoCal that it’s really difficult to find someone really competent, knowledgeable, passionate AND affordable to work on a Dino that you can really trust. The Dino is actually a pretty simple, reliable and robust vehicle. I find most just take shortcuts and don’t really test a car thoroughly. They leave it to the owner to test it on a long drive which usually ends up with some issues. Dino’s are not like new cars or even vintage Porsches. There’s a lot of tricks and knowledge to make them really perform and work well. The problem is, most mechanics won’t or don’t have the knowledge anymore. I find the best is DIY along with some knowledgable Dino friends. This of course is the most affordable but also gives you the most confidence out on the road to either repair your Dino yourself or be better prepared to find someone. These are old cars. Even if your Dino has been 100% restored, there’s always a chance something will fail. My total maintenance costs have been really low. I’m still learning and depending on a few experience friends. It’s a great journey though and I love my Dino!

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    My exact experience on this side of the country too.

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    for what its worth if you are really in the market for a DINO you should start a thread or an ad on this ferrarichat.. I did so in 2012 and was able to find a very nice Dino exactly like I was looking for in less than 30 days and many of the people on this thread provided assistance .. This is a great site for that kind of thing some of the most knowledgeable Dino people in the world are on this site...

Sergio Tavares and 375+ like this.
  21. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    The Dino engine is very solid, chain drive cams mean only fluid changes, valve lash inspection every 30k Km. Change to modern ignition and spark plug should result in 15 Km before change. The most important is to look for oil drip.

22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Most importantly I would also check camshaft valve shim clearances every 3000-4000 miles

23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F

To make sure it is indeed dripping? :)

To the OP: about half of what it costs to keep a V-12 Ferrari running!

Matt

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    They all drip. If they don't it means they are out of oil :)

Jamie H and Sergio Tavares like this.
  25. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Here I must politely and respectfully disagree. Dinos do not drip oil, in my experience. Unless you let them.

Whenever I see even one drop of oil on the garage floor, I chase it down and fix what is causing the leak. Or, I terrorize my good friend the Dino mechanic until he or we together find the source of the leak.

My Dino does not drip oil. Knock on wood (hitting my forehead now).

Sergio Tavares likes this.