Looking for new bike | FerrariChat

Looking for new bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by PaulC, May 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have owned a couple fo Bmw and Triumph sport touring bikes off and on for the last 20 years. I am currently looking at a Triumph Thruxton, Ducati Multistrada, and a Bmw F800R. I know they are all different, I will likely be riding with my kids and nothing long distance. I have not spent time on any of these, if anyone can offer advice and/or personal experience, thank you in advance.

2. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It sounds like you already know what you're doing based on what you've owned. I've got a BMW r1200RT. I'll add a couple of thoughts. I love Thruxtons but it's a very short distance bike for me. 30 miles here or there. I really like Mulistradas but I've only ridden two. I'm 5' 10 and they've all seemed tall to me but fantastic to ride and decent wind protection. Buy the Triumph for vibe and the Ducati if you're going somewhere. Can't go wrong.

boxerman likes this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great advice above.
    Ive always been partial to Thruxtons but comfort is more like a mid 80's suzuki sportbike. The Ducati and BMw are completly different machines to a thruxton, but they do tend towards the practical side of style and have all day confort and work for older bones, a multistrada is hard to beat as an all rounder.

You might also want to considder a ducati supersport. By all counts its a really great road bike, the type of sportbike built for adults who ride, with more than enough performance you'll ever use on road, it can do a trackday easily and even some touring. Really the synthesis of what can be dome with todays sportbike tech in a somewhat logical road package. Unlike a multistrada it looks great. In my book for a day ride fun bike, looks and vibe should be part of the equation.

If youre focussed on the thruxton due to style and vibes theres also the BMW R9T which can also be bought low mileage used. Its a very classic styled bike, an evocative BMW, light feeling good handling etc. I would also look at the Indian FTR 1200, they finaly built the logical tracker style bike that works. Great styling, big enough bike for the open road, more than enough go, and its handles.

I think a big consideration would be where are you riding, what types of roads, highway/backroad mix mostly one or the other, and distances.
    Youre coming from BMW and sport touring bikes, so used to a bit of reasonable comfort and getting off a bike with sore back neck and wrists is not much fun unless you live right near a great mountain road.
    If I were riding regularily and a truxton were my only bike, that would be a big question mark.

If I had one bike to do it all, highway, light touring, day trips some backroad probably a multistrada, supersport.
    If it were minimal highway and backroads Thruxton and hypomotard.
    FTR and R9T probably splits the difference of all of the above.

Idealy you need a Truxton a Rocket a hypomotard and a BMW Rt to cover all the bases.
    Hypomotard is the most fun bike Ive ridden, and all of a piece, great for urban work and backroads.

Frankly I'd throw caution to the wind and get a Rocket or a FTR 1200.

Youll note I didnt touch the BMW F800, it works but why, day Bikes should be like ferraris, really evocative.

BoulderFCar and PaulC like this.
  4. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I rode the Thruxton and the Multistrada today and decided on the Thruxton. I have ridden the R9T before and I do like it but the Thruxton feels lighter and more nimble. Most of my riding will be in the Hill Country, not far from the house, and with my 11 or 13 year old on the back. I decided to go with the Thruxton. The Multistrada is an awesome bike but my long riding days are over until the kids are much older.
    Thank you for the input. It was helpful

Wade likes this.
  5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great choice. Just a cool bike. Get on the Lucky Brands website and look at their vintage triumph tee shirts. Perfect match for the whole vibe. congrats.

Wade likes this.
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Great choice for a very cool bike.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    texas hill country on my list of places to go.
    Perhaps you can advise me on where to go

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My long time riding friend just moved from South Congress in Austin to the river in Kerrville.....Just let me know, I have maps!

Or Google Road Runner magazines Texas Hill Country "Shamrock Tour"

Ducati club uses the Three Sisters of course, but those are pretty hard core if going "Ducati fast"...

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The long running "Harvest Classic" is the ultimate Hill Country vibed vintage scooter scene,,,,he will finish his Ariel Square 4 soon and do that, in Luckenbach, in October

11. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Picked up the Thruxton last night. Hopefully the it stays dry Friday night and I can get out Saturday morning.
    As for Hill Country, Willow Loop and Three Sisters are always fun. Around San Antonio, the ride up Scenic Loop and 1376 to Luckenbach is good as well. Most of the rides will be with my wife or kids so I try to keep them short. If I am going over 150 miles my wife will fall asleep on the back of the bike.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've not seen one in that color combo. Very nice.