How to Adjust Tightness of Front Wheel Bearings on a 308 | FerrariChat

How to Adjust Tightness of Front Wheel Bearings on a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    When I grasp the top of my front tire and push the wheel in and out, I can feel a little bit of movement and can hear the rollers sliding on the bearing race.

I recently replaced my front wheel bearings and worry now that the races were not fully seated when I adjusted the tightness and now have excessive looseness. However, I don’t know what is acceptable.

Should there be this movement? How much is tolerable?

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Tapered bearings require a preload. Assuming the bearings were seated correctly, torque the bearing nut to 18 lbs. Then loosen, retorque to 11 ft/lbs. Then lock the nut.

Axial play should be a minimum (or exactly) .06 mm. Maximum play is .1 mm

Brian Harper likes this.
  3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi John,

there is a slight discepancy. If there's preload there won't be any play. I adjust mine by torquening the nut to 18 lbs, and then loosen it till I can slide the washer below with the help of a screwdriver.
    A -tiny- bit of tactile movement of the wheel is o.k. And the WSM spec of max. 0.1mm bearing play IS perceptible when grasping and wiggling the wheel on its outer edge. I prefer that over a preloaded bearing, but I would worry about hearing the rollers on a new bearing.

Best from Germany
    Martin

thorn likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My instincts tell me we're approaching the final result the same way. To be honest, I didn't even measure the play after installing new bearings and double-torqueing. I'm sure that will send me to technician Hell, but so be it.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It is interesting that you apply a torque to the bearing (i.e. leave no play). Its good to know that this is doesn't cause problems.

I had originally followed the GT4 Workshop Manual directions to leave that play that Martin cites. If I recall correctly, I believe the manual says appropriate play is adjusted by backing the nut off 1/12 turn (half a flat). That is how I did it anyway.

My mistake was not ensuring the races were fully seated. If I were to change the bearings again (which probably won't happen in my lifetime), I would tighten the nut down fully and rotate the wheel a dozen times, tighten again if necessary and rotate some more. This would seat the races. Only then would I set the play. … and the Workshop Manual may actually say to do this. Live and learn.

It sounds like I should readjust my front wheel bearings. This time I will use the "jiggle the washer with a screwdriver" technique. I may try reusing the nuts as I expect tightening will give me room to "rekey" the nuts with new metal.

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Brian - doublecheck me on that. I could not find the bearing method in a 308QV manual (god, I hate those PDF scans... can NEVER find what I'm looking for), so I was going by various notes I've collected over the year from other owners' posts.

The "back off 1/2 turn" method is certainly done on some cars, so make sure you pick the correct procedure. Martin may be correct, and me in error; he certainly knows far more about bearings than I do.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Attached is the salient page from the GT4 Workshop Manual. There is no description of adjusting QV front wheel bearings in the 308QV/328 Workshop Manual.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hitekk likes this.