575M Build | Page 5 | FerrariChat

575M Build

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by white out, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    While searching to see if anyone ran a 305/35 front tire, I found a member who ran rears on the front and was very happy. So they will clear with factory 295. But I think I'm going to get silly and just run 305/35 to see if they work because I like a meaty tire. Going to be a bit of a downsize from the Viper's 315 front tires (335 rear).

I don't want to run too wide of a rear on the 575 because I would rather have some wheelspin than shock to the driveline/clutch. But I'm going to be running an 11" rear wheel, so that should give me a decent amount of options.

The suspension is far too stiff for most people in its standard spec (would be great for a track car) and the rear upper perches are very difficult to access for adjusting the dampeners. So I'm working with Fortune to create some variations of the coilover with some options as standard in the kit to make it easy for anyone to install on their car. If you want any details, feel free to message me.

I mocked up my Viper's 13" wide wheel with 335/30 tire and there was a TON of clearance. I was amazed the 575 had that much room.

Yeah, that's why I'm leaning towards 305 R888r over a wider tire. So it can have grip, but allow for some slip.
    The tires on it are useless (340 treadwear), it's like an AMG65 powered car with the traction control off. Rolling into the throttle over 3000rpm in first results in wheelspin. Simply switching over to a stickly tire in OE size would greatly help.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Interesting, do you happen to know if the rears directly bolted on or did they use spacers in the front?

honestly my only concern with tires that wide in the front tram-lining. I’m sure the car is under steering a whole lot less though!

I’m very excited to see how this turns out!!

brogenville likes this.
  3. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    That’s them, profil 5, they’re 3 piece modular. Instead of spacers, you could probably just get the correct inner and outer barrels and have the centers flush on the hub face.

Now I’m thinking hard about making space for a Maranello your 550 with those wheels is definitely encouragement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'll eventually get around to rebarreling them but for the time being, this works. They were originally mounted on a 360. My car had BBS LM's on it with spacers on the rear...after mounting the Profil5's I decided to slap the spacers back on because I like a more flush look.

Highly recommend a 550 for anyone who can swing it. Modern classic in my opinion that keeps getting better with age.

F456M and MRY like this.
  5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I struggle to imagine how bad the tram lining would be on UK roads with 315 tires! Probably do better on us roads though. Nobody seems to be able to lay a wobbly road like the Brits.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

technom3 likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tram lining does not seem to be as much of a problem with modern radial tires and power steering. Some of my old Corvettes with bias plies and no power steering, though, really jerked on your wrists. That was half a century ago, though, in the 60s and early 70s.

F456M likes this.
  7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Here is a quick clip of the sound from behind the car.

tres55, Il Tifoso and JoeTSI like this.
  8. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    That sounds amazing. Looking forward to seeing the performance figures with the new exhaust - I have been debating whether to get aftermarket X-pipes or straight pipes. Worried that straight pipes will be too loud for a street car, but don't want to lose horsepower as the car is already significantly slower than other cars I've had. I was going to go with a Larini X-pipe until I saw your discussion with Taz earlier in this thread, which has me doing some additional research (and waiting to see how your build goes!). Thanks for sharing, Ben

JSP likes this.
  9. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The exhaust alone dropped 1 full second off my 60-130mph (100-200kph) times. But my exhaust is significantly different than any bolt on kit for the 550/575, so don't expect those gains from a 2.25" system or if the car is still utilizing the stock section of pipes around the transmission.

As a general principal, non-merged creates less bass than a merged exhaust (X or H pipe). So for normal driving, keeping the bass low generally prevents car alarms from going off and attention when you're driving normal. Non-merged helps achieve a higher pitch as well. This is why all the exhausts I make for other cars (Murcielago, 458 & GT3) are non-merged. However, the un-equal length of the secondary cat pipes/downpipes of the 550/575 may cause drone with a non-merged design and is the reason for my medusa equal length downpipes.

10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Nick, my experience with non-merged straight pipes on my 550 was the opposite of yours. More bass and MUCH louder overall (enough to wake up my wife in the house, and it would set off nearby car alarms) And as you pointed out, the drone with the straight pipes was unbearable. This was with Quicksilver rear cans.

With the merged X pipe, the car was quieter and didn't set off car alarms and there was no drone.

white out, F456M and technom3 like this.
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Still an art matching pipes with mufflers. Ferrari used a different muffler set when they went to straight pipes on the 575M. My straight pipes and Novitec Supersport mufflers were deafening and did not last too long. Matched pretty well with a 550 still fitted with the center resonator cork, apparently, because the new owner loved them.

bobwass likes this.
  12. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks everyone and sorry Nick for the slight thread hijack. It has been very interesting listening to the different opinions. I'm going to do a bit of experimenting with different configurations. Optimally, I want it sportier sounding than stock (to me the stock noise is the weakest part of the car), but without a loss of horsepower. My big plan for the car is to do a UK tour this August and a 5-6 week "grand tour" of Europe next summer after I take the 575M to LeMans Classic, so it still needs to be capable of big mileage without deafening me like my previous 458 Spider (w/Capristos) did on any trip over about an hour... Any additional input is very welcome, and I'll continue watching Nick's progress with interest.

13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Il Tifoso and brogenville like this.
  14. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Cars going to be well sorted Nick

15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Swapped out the rear springs from to a lower spring rate (12k) and added dampener adjustment extenders so I can change the rebound settings without having to take out the fuel tank trim panel and reach down the gauntlet of skin removal between the frame and fuel tank for adjustment.

Added 20mm rear spacers to keep me held over while waiting for the new wheels to be built. The change in offset and wiped brake dust off makes a huge difference

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jrosevear, hwyman, Il Tifoso and 2 others like this.
  16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Here's a good clip of the wheelspin in 2nd gear and the wheelspin on 2-3 shift. Cannot wait for traction.

F456M, NE550, Il Tifoso and 1 other person like this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The rear spacers likely improve rear brake cooling, too. Not that that is likely to be problem on a Maranello where the front brakes are doing so much of the work. One of the reasons Ferrari added extra cooling ducts and hoses in front for the HGTC CCMs.

18. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Nothing major to report. But a little update.

Here's a picture of the remote rear dampener adjusters in the trunk (rear trunk trim panel is out):

This explains one of the reasons why the new exhaust dropped a full second off the 60-130mph time. The OEM 2.25" diameter piping crushes down to 2" in certain areas. . . for a 5.75 liter V12 that revs to 8000rpm. o_O

New R888r tires arrived and the 575M can carry 2 of its own in the storage areas with ease.

It's getting use as a daily driver, but this type of parking was much easier to commit to with the Viper.

[​IMG]

F456M, brogenville, hwyman and 5 others like this.
  19. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Stunning how crappy oem welding is on Italian cars... My Murci OEM exhaust still had the MIG wire sticking out of a bunch of welds... with more craters than mars. I saw a 430 scud in the shop with the side skirts off and the frame welds wouldn't pass QC on a raw water line.

cuse92 and white out like this.
  20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Yeah 90s italian cars weren't exactly the best put together IMO. The quality of the exhaust on the 550 is terrible from the factory...even for its time.

Boomhauer and white out like this.
  21. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I get they're "waste disposal units" per Clarkson, but its disheartening when the pipes are crimped and crushed reducing flow. I don't care on my Denali pickup but you'd hope Ferrari would have wanted to get the most out of every component. Plus the exhausts are most likely bought from an exhaust supplier, you'd think they would want better quality for their money

Boomhauer, tres55 and white out like this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Over the years of production, they fixed those issues, along with many others.

23. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    The fact that it was an issue at all for a race team that sells cars on the side was pretty sad to be honest.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They have not been a race team that sells cars on the side for decades. As usual, with the low production, owners were doing the OT&E for the company.