458 - MUST HAVE OPTIONS | FerrariChat

458 MUST HAVE OPTIONS

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 5859, May 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Read some in the search comments, but all the topics seemed 7-9 years old.
    So with that said, what are the "must have" options now that theres plenty of years of use and experience out there with the 458, is the lift that big a deal, power seat, which seats, CF, etc... would love to hear some opinions from first hand owners and users, What would be your must have and your def not buy the car if it doesnt have what?

PFA

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I'd expect as many opinions as options. For me, the race seats were a must. LED wheel was a must. CF interior was super nice. Had to have the backup camera for wife approval. If don't have a lift, but didn't want the extra weight. I have some leather options and exterior CF that I'm indifferent on.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5859 likes this.
  3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Must haves
    LED steering wheel. Revs to 9,000 rpm so fast don’t have time to look at the tach
    Electric Daytona seats
    Auto dimming mirrors
    Adaptive headlights in the mountains
    SiriusXM in the mountains
    Shields
    Diamond cut wheels...best wheels Ferrari has ever made
    Rear camera so you don’t smash the diffusers
    Cavalinos on the seats
    Black dashboard
    Sports exhaust is nice. Black. Don’t have to clean the exhaust soot.

Things that can be passed on
    Navigation is lame. Better off using your phone
    Upgrade stereo is not great. Can probably go after market and get better sound for less money.

5859 likes this.
  4. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    I think this is a personal taste and preference, for me it was:
    Shields
    CF racing seats
    LED steering wheel
    Diamond cut wheels

I don't care for navigation, upgraded stereo and lift system

I wish I had rearview camera and homelink

ShadowLAP and 5859 like this.
  5. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Good list, don’t agree with it all but that’s the gist here, to each their own. For me personally, no offense to anyone else I’m just gonna lay it out;

Must:
    LED wheel - a car without the led wheel is a boat anchor. Sort price low to high, “whoa good deal!” = 90% shot no led wheel
    Red (my first ferrari, wanted it red, pref not corsa, next one will be a different color, interesting variants my preference)
    Black interior
    CF seats - Daytonas are for your dads ferrari (kidding, but not), and the base seats look blah to me
    Lift
    CF driving zone, dash, console at a minimum
    Parking sensors
    Rear camera
    Scuderia shields/seats

Strong prefer but for the right car maybe overlook it:
    Full CF interior
    As much CF exterior as possible

What I’ve learned in ownership in terms of what spec items matter:
    All of my must haves are spot on, maybe could do without full parking sensors if you just had a camera, but I’d rather have them
    The stock stereo is a joke so if you have any interest in cruising/touring in this car, blasting tunes, hearing even reasonably good audio...get JBL or go aftermarket. Sure the stock stereo can go *loud* enough I guess, it just sounds like 2 steps above a boom box. Insert “yeah yeah engine is the music” whatever, just saying for those interested.
    Navigation is nearly unusable. Perhaps with a ton of patience.
    Could have been indifferent re wheels in my search, would end up with aftermarket either way

5859 likes this.
  6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Must haves:

1. Shields
    2. LED steering wheel
    3. Racing seats
    4. Lifter (If you encounter speed bumps, a steep driveway, etc., you'll thank God you have it)​

I absolutely wouldn't buy a 458 without the first three.

5859 likes this.
  7. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Shields
    Rearview camera
    Drop top
    Red paint

Granted, I live in flatland (FL) but have never needed a front lift, and I am lowered from stock now.

5859 and ShadowLAP like this.
  8. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    As Lanjoub lists: Shields, Rearview Camera, drop top and Rosso Corsa but I would add the LED steering wheel and the Carbon interior trim. My 2015 Spider has all of those but without the camera. While that was not a deal breaker it is one option that I feel the car really needs. Homelink is convenient but I did workaround that by keeping one of the handheld openers in my former 360 Spider.

5859 likes this.
  9. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I think most options are personal choice/opinion. Seriously just get a list of available options on the make/model and select the ones you need/must have with an “A”, the ones you want with a “B”, and the ones you don’t care about with a “C” and the ones that you absolutely don’t want with an “F”. Once you do this it makes it easier to “grade” the car to determine if a car works for you. This is only after you determine spec choice. Then of course do your due diligence on maintenance history, car fax analysis and then the PPI on a car that makes the grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5859 likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't think a colour can be defined as a must have. Rosso Corsa? For many a tan/RC car is simply way too "My first Ferrari" and just a bit well, boring to be honest. These cars have so many curves and nice shapes but RC and RS completely flattens the surface of the car. It is of course personal and for some RC is the colour to get. But for what it is worth, it is far from a must have.

Some of the "true" must haves if we go by resale and try to be objective would probably be the following.

Shields
    LED wheel with or without carbon
    Satnav
    Upgraded hifi
    Lifter
    Forged wheels
    Full electric seats or CF seats size L
    Backup cam and parking sensors

The rest is sort of really personal, but from what I can tell, these things make a difference.

If we look at it from a more personal view, there are things I have no interest in. LED wheel is pointless imo. Use your ears if you want to keep your focus on the track or toad
    Electric seats? Useless as you sit way too high and can't fit properly with a helmet.
    CF seats size L. I'm a size M, so prefer those.
    I think AFS works really well, and I think the parking cams are absolute pants due to their mounting position.
    Upgraded hifi. It is needed but still really terrible. But you go from "kill me now" levels of poor audio quality to, kinda better than nothing.
    Satnav I think is okay. Not great, but it gets the job done.
    Lifter? It makes no difference if you have it but don't need it vs. needing it but not having it. The latter can really ruin your day.

So there it is. It is subjective and has to do with what you like and what you need.

Again as far as colour goes, whom jn their right mind would turn down a Rosso Maranello car for a Rosso Corsa. Resale red? Sure. But there are plenty of people looking for something else and you don't compete with all the other resale red cars.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ScottS and 5859 like this.
  11. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    So Im def seeing a general consensus here...
    The top so far:
    LED wheel,
    Shields,
    rear cam,
    CF seats,
    CF in general... l which I agree, makes it more modern and the regular plastic does look super cheap in a Ferrari.

No one has mentioned the rear tail black out piece (not sure its name)

12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well. Who are you buying for?
    There are buyers for all cars priced right.

If you’re asking what is best for resale the answers above are obvious but people debate them as well.

I think I’m on Ferrari 10 coming up:
    I need a lifter. Prefer AFS.
    Flexible on all else:
    Carbon? Expensive and not really functional. Carbon fiber is like tax deductions - sure they sell but because you are giving away money on the margin. Again who are you buying for.

Shields? Have em but on some colors don’t add much. My Lusso has them and honestly if it weren’t for those, most people wouldn’t know what it is. Which is fine by me.

GT cars don’t need race seats. Half of mine had them when possible.

Buy what you like. Resale will work itself out.

One member here told me that their dealer has a spreadsheet for trade-in. They calculate the value as a percentage of the options and MSRP. So the more you buy the more you get but the more you lose.

It’s not an investment. It’s a car.

13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Not an investment indeed.

I would add front and rear parking sensors to my list.
    I wish l had a front camera like my Audi.

14. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Yes its just a car, not an investment and Im buying it for me. But I'm asking as I would ask for a Duramax truck for towing... what are the best options to have from real life experiences and suggestions. I would not just buy a Diesel truck without doing some research on whats the best packages or options for towing a fifth wheel or cameras or tire sensors in the trailer, 2500 or 3500, single wheel or dually, etc... I'm just trying to educate myself, I'll take everyones suggestions in consideration and buy the best possible car

15. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Yup. My question was clarifying as to the nature of your question and the answers.

Duramax not necessary for antiquing for example in your analogy.

Also depends on your use, height weight and preferences. Some fit better in certain seats. I have manual standard seats in my 488 spider. They work well for me as I leave my seat in one position.

Do you like music news while you drive? Upgraded stereo. Others flame that anyone would want to not listen to the engine.

Will you be cruising the continent for long weekends or just running about town?

I have never looked at my Led wheel for anything.

I stand by lifters for me but there are at least ten threads with many opinions that others never need them.

GL

5859 likes this.
  16. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The "must have" options are the ones that YOU want in the car. Everybody has different wants and needs as others have mentioned.
    For me, condition and low miles were the two most important factors.

The only deal killers in my list were:
    LED wheel
    Shields
    Racing Seats

The strong wants were:
    Front lift
    Backup camera
    HiFi stereo (my car doesn't have this)
    Charcoal or diamond cut wheels (I have diamond cut), If it had the standard wheels, I would have changed them after purchase.
    Black exhaust tips (My car doesn't have this)

Nice to haves:
    Dimming mirror w/ garage remote (my car doesn't have this)
    Pit speed
    Carbon fiber bits
    iPod connector

Thankfully, the car I found had all the must haves, and most of the strong wants, and nice to haves.

AlfistaPortoghese and 5859 like this.
  17. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    #17 DoubleD33, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    My opinions as follows.

Leather Headliner
    CF dash
    CF wheel
    CF center console pieces around the reverse buttons etc. I do not like the CF center console that can be leather. I prefer leather on this one.
    CF rear bumper insert. This is my favorite.
    CF front winglets look cool
    CF rear diffuser is nice as you can keep it clean and polished up.

I am not a fan of the CF door panels.
    I have the CF rockers and those look meh depending on color. Same with the B pillar.

I have Alcantara carpet inside and for the Boot. Ehh... it looks cool but maintenance is a *****.

Base model wheels are ugly.

shields. I had one with out them and did not like it.

Colored calipers if done nicely.

Fan of the stitched Cavallino in the head rest. I have the stamped one and don’t like it.

Engine bay in CF on coupe is nice. Spider not so much.

Race seats for sure. At first wanted full power Daytona but after shopping and sitting race seats in large won out.

AFS headlights. Cool and useful at night but not really needed for day runs or all that often at night pending where you live.

I said F it and activated satellite radio. Best interface over the iPod cable and the Bluetooth hacks listed here in many threads.

back up camera and front and rear sensors. Use them all the time.

Auto dimming mirrors as I have gotten lazy these days.

HI FI system is not a deal breaker. I have it and have been looking hard at Scuderia audio upgrades.

Lastly on top of all of this is the most important thing... A Ferrari V8. Can’t say enough good about it. Good luck in your search.

Navi here in the US sucks. Use google or learn the roads.

Bluetooth is so dated you will laugh if you try to use it. I don’t talk on the phone when driving this car.

5859 likes this.
  18. forhamilton

forhamilton Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Great thread. I am on the hunt.

5859 likes this.