I just bought a Miata | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I just bought a Miata

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by saudio, May 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #26 saudio, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Can't argue with that. I'm mostly a mid or rear engine fan but now that I have found a front engine roadster I really like the Z3 would definitely be on a list for an inexpensive second car. I think they are beautiful cars.

2. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And all this time I thought I enjoyed driving my super cars. Thanks for straightening me out.

Auraraptor and Boomhauer like this.
  3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A purchase of a 2008 F430 with 10K miles can now be had for $100K. A 2005 with 38K sells for $85K-90K. You could put 30K miles on your 2008 and in a few years sell the car at a loss of 15 K max. If you only put 10K on the car in that period, the depreciation would be 10K. The purchase of a 5 year or older regular production Ferrari will depreciate comparatively very little over time even with high mileage. The steep loss of value occurs on new car purchases within the first 3 years thereafter and will be accelerated with higher mileage.

nicholasn likes this.
  4. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My car is a 6 speed gated. It cost a lot more than $100K and it would drop a lot faster. And I'm not sure I agree with your numbers. Who would purchase a 2005 with 40K miles when you could purchase a 2008 with 10K miles for $15K more? Anyway, it misses the point, which is that I'd daily drive my 430 I chose to afford to. ;-)

5. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why was the title of my thread changed? It's no big deal but it's odd that other people can edit my posts and I can't.

6. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    This is absolutely crazy... I would seek some explanation with the FChat authorities.

7. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, as I said, no big deal, but I'm really curious why it was important to change my thread title from "i just bought something interesting" to "I just bought a Miata". Three posts below me there is a thread titled "I bought a really fun car". That thread title seems to be OK.

tbakowsky and Boomhauer like this.
  8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congratulations on the Miata! Ferraris are my favorite thing in the world and I could never bring myself to sell mine so resale value isn't that much of a concern. Still I don't like to put miles on it- if something happened to it I would be devastated. So I firmly support having another fun car to drive that you don't have to worry about like you do a Ferrari.

These ND Miatas are really something. I love the way they drive and shift. Plan accordingly if you intend to take it on road trips, you aren't going to get much in that trunk.

saudio likes this.
  9. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    My husband and I bought a new 2019 Miata last June. I am a long-time NA (1990-1997) Miata owner, and I sold my NA to a friend last December. They're both fun, but the 2019 has the edge for me, because it can keep up with traffic better. Also, the ND's top keeps the promise that male car journalists said about the early Miatas: I can easily put the top up from the driver's seat. I could never do that with the NA.

ShineKen likes this.
  10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sometimes it’s nice to drive a car you don’t have to worry about.

11. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    Auraraptor likes this.
  12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have owned quite a few Miata's all heavily modified, the last being the current series RF. I don't care about depreciation (never have never will) if I did I would own a Honda. I have my sights set on another 4C (this time a spider), and when I'm done with it, it will be the perfect drivers car,.

Auraraptor likes this.
  13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Congrats! Its a great little car.

While not nearly as fun/spirited to drive, I have been slowly restoring a Gen5 Honda prelude. (only modification are wheels and headunit; factory wheels are in the basement)

It is completely different driving feel compared to my Ferraris but intensely nostaglic, as I had a prelude in high school and a second years later in grad school.

Attached Files: