Thoughts on this 430 | FerrariChat

Thoughts on this 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by ec21kb, May 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    #1 ec21kb, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    So i started my journey looking for a California, but the more I've been reading up on here about the various Ferraris and experiences they provide I'm very much swaying towards an f430 spider... main priorities are for it to sound amazing with the roof down yet still be manageable for a 4hr road trip... nothing much more than that.

Now I've always liked the idea of a red over beige ferrari, but given I'll be inside the car, I'm thinking the condition is much more important than looks. I know I could wait until I can find both but tbh I want the car for summer during this lockdown - something to do!! That said, I've come across the below

https://www.continentalautosports.com/inventory/certified-used-2007-ferrari-f430-spider-rwd-2d-convertible-zffew59a270152418

Will be having service done (by ferrari) before delivery. CPO car so eligible for 2 year warranty. But black on black (so a tad boring).

Seems like a good deal? Or am I missing something? Clutch at 74%, steel brakes and headers replaced with OEM 4 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The price is OK given the mileage. It's not high mileage for most cars but in the land of F cars, it's kinda getting there. I'm not a fan of black exteriors and it seems you're not either so maybe keep searching? 90k would seem like a pretty good deal for you.

3. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Though can’t help you choose a specific car, I will say I’m also looking at a car that Continental has and have been very impressed at how helpful they have been! I had previously contacted a dealer in a different state and Continental has gone above and beyond the other dealer, they’re very prompt and very courteous to a 1’st time buyer like myself. Whatever direction you go good luck on your future purchase!

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    its a 2007 - are you sure they are willing to CPO it for 2 years? if this is the case then the next 2 questions arent as relevant.
    first question that needs answering is does it have oem headers?
    second question is has the f1 actuator been replaced?
    at that mileage 90k is prob the right number, if it has 2 yrs of warranry 95k isnt terrible.

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Check for service records, owners manuals, car cover, battery charger, tool kit, tire pump, condition of tires, PPF, front skid plate?

Each of these are not too expensive on their own, but the cost will add up quickly if you have to replace all or most of them.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    Yeah they were def willing to put the two year warranty on, but for 4500 extra. Headers were replaced 4 years ago... but replaced with OEM. Not sure on the actuator but tbh I think I've heard enough to think this car is still overpriced. They're not budging from current value so I'll take a walk on this one.

I'm actually finding that most dealers not moving at all (or at most a point or two from their original list)... feels a very odd move in this climate.

7. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    Thanks for the advice and good wishes... I'll be joining this fclub sooner or later....

I'll just have to make do with this poor man's ferrari in the meantime
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

gsworld2014 and redcaruser like this.
  8. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Cool Maserati: they sound great and have 4 usable seats!

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    430 is a great car, fun and raw but also comfortable.

If you want an F1, there are lots around, so take your time. The manual is an absolute blast but different price.

10. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've enjoyed every once of my f430 Spider F1. I bought my car so that I can drive it and not be a garage queen. These cars are bullet proof if they are taken care of properly. I have 31k miles on my 05 and plan to put many more on her. Take your time and find the color and options that are right for you. Definitely run the other way if someone tells you that they don't have any service records and they can't recall when or if things have been replaced. Good Luck! Cheers

gsworld2014 likes this.
  11. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I understand wanting it right away, but you shouldn't likely wait too long for a good red/tan 430 Spider F1 at a reasonable price to come along. If that's what you really want, I'd wait a little.

Otherwise, you know the day after you come home with the black/black, a red/tan will show up for sale. In better shape for less money, only because that's how it usually goes.

Good luck.

albkid and unreelviper like this.
  12. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    Very true...

Still trying to figure what a fair price is though... found this 08 for just over the 100k mark. But again looks like fairly high milage for an fcar.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=46897&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&distance=50000&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2573#listing=263183718

Also checked with previous ferarri service and they had reading of clutch at 60% worn back when they serviced in 2018... so likely will be needing a new clutch soon (extra 6k?)

Fair price on this one also around the 90k mark?

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Nah that car will get closer to 100k. 08s came with ceramics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    Right.. makes sense. Do cc make a big difference here? I've read some contrasting opinions and that the steel brakes are just fine. Any thoughts on that? I won't be tracking the car.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I love ceramics because I despise brake dust. You def dont need them on the street or the track but they do get a bit of a premium on resale. That car also has carbon interior and red inserts - it looks like a nice car. I dont think its far off what its worth but by all means start at 90k and see what happens. If the response on your first bid isnt “go f urself” u started too high!

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  16. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    Hahaha! Great advice. Thanks!

ttforcefed likes this.
  17. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    The right price is where the buyer and seller are equally unhappy :)

JaguarXJ6 and ttforcefed like this.
  18. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    why would the actuator need replaced?

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Because they usually fail

20. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Looks like a nice car but I would still get a PPI from another shop. Price doesn’t seem bad considering the miles. Since it’s not red I guess you could come down a couple thousand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mileage is not something to be overly concerned with IF you have a solid service history. There'll be obvious cosmetic issues that come with age and usage, but mechanically its FAR better for these cars to be driven than sit in a garage.

That said, I wouldn't touch a car that hasn't had the OEM headers replaced. It's not only a common issue, but one that's been well known for a decade or so. A properly cared for car would've had this done at some point. As others have stated, at a minimum:

1) Ensure you're comfortable with remaining clutch life; that'll be a 6K-8K bill depending on where you go. I bought mine with 24K miles and 58% worn on the clutch. I know I should expect to replace my clutch in 2-3 yrs (my wear rate is ~ 1.5% per 1000m)
    2) Plenty of brake left; especially with CCBs. A set of pads should last 35-50K miles, and rotors should last 2x pad changes. Tracking of course decreases life. Even as a DIY those are REALLY expensive. My CCB pads were about 50% worn at 24K miles.
    3) Motor mounts. Again, an easy DIY but a known, common issue that can be used as an indicator for how well the car is maintained.
    4) Sticky buttons. See "Motor mounts".
    5) Ancillary equipment (cover, tool kit, tire pump, manual, flashlight). Again, an indicator. If all that's missing the car probably went to auction at some point or a previous owner tried selling it on eBay vs keeping it with the car.

Just my $.02

gsworld2014 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  22. van22

van22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2005
    Absecon Island, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    VAN C
    Your buying a Ferrari and a used Ferrari, either you have the money or you don’t. Your not buying 3 your buying 1 so yes dealers really don’t need to haggle and your getting a warranty at cost but it’s piece of mind. Buying from anybody but a dealer won’t give you that option. So remember anything can go wrong with the best car. Purchased my 05 f430 in November and love it.

gsworld2014 likes this.
  23. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have the exact same car, with 4K fewer miles, and LOVE it once you go black, you never go back!

24. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Wow, what a cool Masi! Besides your GT Sport, every 430 looks cute and sounds like a castrated harem guard... ;)

25. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Still gets to me that 23k miles is considered high for a F430 when there are F430s way above the 100k mark. I guess it´s that way because most owners use them as trophys dead scared to lose money.

gsworld2014 likes this.