550 Prices April 2020 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 Prices April 2020

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ryan S., Apr 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What do you think? With Ferraris, as we know, mileage and pricing generally are inversely proportional (other things being equal).

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’m just asking. I brought an 8k Maranello for $115k about 17 years ago. I ended up selling 5 years later for $75k when the car had 30k miles. So maybe today a really good 10k car is worth $139k?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    +1 Scuderia Rampante
    I have those hoses on 550 and 612 (Dave made me a custom hose)

mrp_e likes this.
  4. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sure, for a primo car in the right setting with around 10k or less miles, $130-140K seems possible. I assume you're talking U.S. prices as the market for these cars seems quite a bit stronger here than Europe right now.

On that subject, be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years with the market after we reach the 25 year threshold and can can import Euro-spec Maranellos to the U.S. without all the federalization hassles.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hadn’t thought about that. Good point.

Compared to modern Ferraris, such as a F599, Maranellos are primitive cars. I wonder how interested those under 60 will be in them in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Primitive can be a positive in some cases. The 599 and other F1 cars will suffer long term IMHO since they only spanned a short period between manual and DCT's. I dont have an issue with the robotized manuals but as they get older due to complexity will have a ton of issues. Parts are already expense let alone when they stop making them.

Texas Forever and m5shiv like this.
  7. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The younger generation and our sports car "thought-leaders" definitely seem to be hopping on the "save the manuals" and "drive tastefully" bandwagon. As their earning power increases (as well as rate of inheriting), I think there will be a solid base of enthusiasts who will be willing and able to support modern classics, which are robust and driveable without dripping in antiquated or overwhelming tech.

Add to this the broader base of buyers that continues to develop with global population growth and developing wealth. Subtract from this politics that limit use or otherwise penalize ownership.

Themaven and Texas Forever like this.
  8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #33 ralfabco, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
    I don’t believe a significant number of euro/RoW 512 TR, F512M, and Diablo 25 year and older autos have been imported.

Some buyers are concerned about threats from select authorized F dealers in N. America who refuse to service RoW cars and order the out of market parts. Aside from the BB.

9. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #34 mrp_e, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
    The vast majority of enthusiasts of these generation of sports cars (550, TR, Diablo, Countach, etc) that I know do not have them serviced at authorized dealers. In fact I don't know a single one. There are tons and tons of excellent, competent, honorable independent shops out there who are far more experienced and familiar with these "older" cars than the dealers. I'd never take my Countach or 550 to a dealer when there's a Dugan or Bradan out there. This has been my experience for the last 20 years, I'm sure there are exceptions. Either way, parts are for sure increasingly the issue, which means like with vintage cars we'll have to get used to more refurbish/rebuild/fabrication of stuff we can't find and replace...which costs more. No one said this hobby is getting cheaper. I wouldn't hesitate to import something if it's what you want and love. Just try to get a PPI of course, as always. Still more fun than golf!

Texas Forever and ralfabco like this.
  10. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The last 20 years I have been to the local F dealer (3) times. Two occasions within one year I inquired about a used car and to attend a FCA breakfast. The L dealer is always welcoming.

mrp_e likes this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's very extreme of the dealers. You would think they wouldn't feel threatened by 25 year old cars. My imported F512M was always serviced by my F dealer in London and even offered for sale by it with a warranty.

12. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #37 ralfabco, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Some of the USA F dealers demonstrate elevated opinions about themselves.

Yes, some authorized F dealers will not touch a 'modern' grey market euro/RoW car which was converted, to pass EPA/DOT regulations. Some of the dealers are protecting their own pockets.

Others have bent over backwards to help you in every way possible.

o/t I never owned a euro car - aside from the 512BBi.