$3000+ for a 360 headlight lens? | FerrariChat

$3000+ for a 360 headlight lens?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, May 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So I am in the process of replacing the protective film on my headlights and I was just curious as to what those lenses cost. Looks like $3-4K for a lens? I mean I know it's a Ferrari, but how is that even possible? Do you literally file an insurance claim if something cracks your headlight? Or windshield heaven forbid?

2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Yeah bit OTT. Try this out silicone reducers hose for heat exchanger $800 au. Seen something simular at my local h/ware store they fit on back of the crapper.:D:D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    #3 imahorse, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    It's bad. The headlight level adjuster is prone to failure and the only way to get a new one is buying a new headlight. Im.in the process of manufacturing some oem fitting ones.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

EastMemphis and one4torque like this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    And the worst part is they are painted on the inside to match the car's color so finding a replacement is even more difficult than most other high end cars.
    To add as the clear lens is a rather stressful task to remove (as it's not manufactured to come off) and repaint the inside of the headlight you most likely are better off to search one that matches your car.
    I agree. The pricing is ridiculous.

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yeah but does your crapper see speeds up to 150 mph?
    Pleeeease don't answer that, lol

Dewinator and BrettC like this.
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Depends on the degree of strain you put into the pan

7. irix

irix Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    J.B
    I replaced my front headlight today because i have one with a broken adjuster. There was nothing left for repair :(

The local dealer want to have 2500EUR (without 19% tax) plus labor. You cant buy single peaces because they only offer complete headlight. I bought a unused from 2nd. hand for 900,- inkl. shipping. It took 4.5h for replacing it. The "problem" is that now one headlight shines a lot of brighter because one is 18Y old and the other 0.

The gasket around the headline i took from the old headlight and that was not a good idea because it was very aged.

Regards,
    Joerg

8. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    I believe that all F-car parts are made from atoms that have little prancing horse logos on each one. That's the only way to explain the prices.

9. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm looking into having some lenses reproduced but work has gotten in the way of my progress. Maybe I will make it a priority to move it higher on the ToDo list.

Anthony 360 F1 likes this.
  10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am guessing it is very rare to need one of these, but I was shocked to see those prices!

11. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think it would be less rare if they weren't so expensive, lol. A lot of folks would replace their old hazey ones with new ones, if the price & process made sense. I thought about trying to make one myself, but the epoxy resins that I've found just can't take that much heat. So, the other route is having a CAD 3d scan or a talented CAD person draw up the specs, create a file to send to the injection mold company, and let them produce enough that makes the project worthwhile. I have one headlight that I was going to disassemble for testing but just haven't gotten around to it. I'd also like to reproduce the housing in CF.

Anthony 360 F1 likes this.
  12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    It sure might be worth your time. Some of this stuff borders on silly. I mean, I could getting busted a grand for a lens, but 3 or 4 large for a clear plastic thingy? I dunno about all of that...

13. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    2nd hand is the way to go. I bought a headlight just for the adjuster so I can recreate them. The lens is in perfect shape if you end up needing it.

14. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Curious as to what protective film folks are using as there are various suppliers out there?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My lenses are hazy but I'm not in any mood to spend a few grand to replace the entire units just to have clear lenses. I too thought about making a mold with my lenses and crafting an inexpensive plexiglass substitute with thinner plexiglass warmed in the oven.

16. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    The protective film on my headlights has numerous deep scratches in it, both lights. I’ll have it replaced in sept and will post in this thread what brand/type the shop used.

17. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Dustin, which side of the car is the light for?

18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Are they hazy on the outside or inside? Haze on the outside is a cinch to remove. If it's on the inside, what sort of haze is it? Vapor? Can you not separate the lens from the mount, get the haze out, and re-install?

19. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I cannot speak to this personally, this is only what I have read. Once there is a way for moisture to get inside the housing, then vapor and water/moisture marks can accumulate on the inside of the lense. You can separate the lens from the the housing using an electric oven, care and a lot of patience. But still you must be very careful to not touch the inside of the lens because there is no protective coating on the inside. Fingerprints will show up easily, and any attempt to polish those out will create swirl marks that you will never get rid of. I think there are folks on the forum who have successfully separated the lens from the housing and replaced, so they would be better suited to talk about possible results.

20. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg

I've had a 3M film on my 911 (bumper, headlights, and first 1/3 of the hood) for about 6 years and everything still looks great! It's actually kind of soft. You can push in a little with your fingernail to know that it's not hard, yet it expands back out and leaves no mark or white spots.

ItalienCar likes this.
  21. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I did a write up on rebuilding the headlights. I have some extras of the parts I cnced to make makeshift level adjusters. Once the level adjuster fails, I think that is how the moisture comes in. I'll make an update when I get OEM-like adjusters made. I have one sitting on my dresser, just gotta go blueprint it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

one4torque, KC360 FL and gtwhaley like this.
  22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Inside of course. Just a PITA to open the lenses and then scrub it and reseal...

23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    that's what I am dealing with.
    So I the clear bra on mine were looking pretty nasty. Today I removed all of the clear bra off of one headlight. 3 hour deal. The good news is that the scratches are gone from the bra. The bad news is that there indeed is some hazing and even some evidence of a bit of moisture inside the lens -sounds like yours, so it's not the look I would like to have. Perhaps a brand new bra on the lights would help cover those sins?

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've read here of people using a magnet in a soft cloth pouch to clean the inner headlight. I suspect the inner part of the lens needs treatment with a rubbing compound though.. :( it's just a PITA I'm trying not to deal with...

KC360 FL likes this.
  25. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    You might pull it off with a strong enough magnet! :D:eek:

vrsurgeon likes this.