Design Fail:F8 hood “Collar” | FerrariChat

Design Fail:F8 hood “Collar”

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I saw a demo F8 and noticed that at the end of the hood near the windscreen that there is an indentation in the shape of the “black collar” even when the owner hasn’t selected the option.

I hope I’m describing this clearly.

It doesn’t look very attractive to my eye at all. It looks rather crude. It gave me the feeling that something was missing.

I was also able to see another hood with the new black collar option. Yes the black plastic does fill in the depressed area so the surface is now level. But the black collar plastic looks cheap and unattractive to my eye.

Let me make my point with this analogy.
    What if Ferrari decided to change from the current fender shields and to use a less attractive one. And if the owner decided they didn’t want that option, the car they got had the same fender with a bare depressed area instead of a smooth fender!

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, I agree. It looks like something is missing when it is body colored. But I don't remember it being a plastic piece in there. I thought it was just painted satin charcoal/black, or just a sticker (even worse). I would have liked it better if they just left a smooth hood.

I don't like it either way, but since the car is so gorgeous otherwise, it is easy to overlook. If I ordered one, I would get it with the black trim.

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

What I have heard is that section has changed on cars being delivered.

The indentation is still there its in the press mould. But there is no plastic insert at all and I have seen a few cars up and personal.

Instead you either have the car colour or black which is matt black paint. Same goes with the Pista's.

However one car I saw the paint was horrible as you could see tape lines , VERY BAD.

Then there is the question of PPF. The gloss film would have to stop at that section , not good at all as you would want the film to wrap over. Or do the whole hood and then add a matt black sticker on top.

IMO looks better matt black but I would never do it. Rather add a sticker .

4. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    It is just a wrap. I was told it was plastic when I bought it (over a year ago ) but now that mine is here - it is just a wrap). I chose matte black and think it looks better that color of the car - but I may have it removed and redone by guy who did my PPE. For those that have not bought yet - skip this option and have it wrapped local.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    This has been discussed in other threads. The car I saw had it as a vinyl 'sticker' if I remember correctly. But even as paint, it didn't make sense to me. I know why they did it to shorten the visual length of the hood, or to make the cowl area look larger, but I just didn't think it added anything to the design. From what you've said they have now stamped a feature line into the hood metal to help with the paint. They are charging $1K for the black option. I elected to omit it. It's visible on the yellow launch car. Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki likes this.
  6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Body color looks totally unobtrusive.

Drson likes this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Maybe the only weird part of the design. If the car is ordered in grey or blue you’d never notice. Red/yellow/white is stands out more.

8. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    I assume you meant PPF not PPE otherwise we would have to quarantine your car
    Did you PPF the whole car?

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It looks fine dont over think it.

Coincid and stavura like this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think it is a detail too close to the inherent design of the car. It should come one way or the other but not an option and definitely no sticker like a fake stripe.

11. nonbita

nonbita Rookie

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Non
    COLL (matte black front lid collar) is not matte black paint like pista and 812??? That is strange!!

12. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha! Been selling way to much PPE lately. I wrapped the whole front (and rockers and behind rear wheels) then ceramic on whole car

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  13. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
  14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s on the Pista as well. You won’t notice it.

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    When I ordered my car back in December it was over $1K option.
    They must have changed their minds.

16. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It was NC but never know the price until it shows. I suspect some prices may have changed with the shutdown.

Do you have your order ?

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes, but it shows up as 'waitlist' on the website.

18. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    I never really noticed this until after having Ceramic Pro done...mine is the body color....It does not bother me at all...and of all the car people that have seen my F8 not one even mentioned it...

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #19 MalibuGuy, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    I think it is a thin piece of plastic that is glued to the depressed region at end of the hood. Maybe if you don’t want the option then you get the same hood with the depression? I saw a demo euro car and who knows how accurate that car is in regards to real production cars for customers. Perhaps the production cars will have a body color matching piece of matte plastic in this area rather than leaving it bare.
    But if it is bare, you can probably ask your dealer to order the black matte collar and glue it on.
    Now people are saying it is free option.

20. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I was told it is plastic when I bought mine but it is not. It is a decal/wrap. I may have mine replaced locally by my PPF guy. It should look better than it does for what they charged me for it (as an option).

jm2 likes this.