I just bought a Miata | FerrariChat

I just bought a Miata

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by saudio, May 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a 2008 F430 spider 6MT, and I love it. But honestly, I choose not to drive it as much as I'd like to because the value of these cars is so sensitive to mileage. I decided I would buy an inexpensive second car that would be also fun to drive, but that I could drive the wheels off guilt free and save miles on the F car. At first I settled on a 2004-2005 boxter, as I had owned one before. For my $20K budget I could get one with 50-80K miles. I shopped a lot and drove a couple, and then started tallying up repairs and maintenance, and soured on the idea. Then on a lark, I test drove a Miata. I have always been interested in the Miata and I find the newer generation to be quite attractive cars, but I was put off by the low power.

But I have to say that I was really shocked by how much I enjoyed the way the car drove and handled. It is truly a joy to drive. It has low power, but it has enough for the chassis. 5.8 0-60 is slow by todays standard, but actually faster than the boxters I was considering. The steering is outstanding, and the 6 speed shifter is the best feeling manual shifter I've ever driven, and I've owned a lot of manuals. The soft top is operated by hand and the design is brilliant. Up or down in 2 seconds. I got the GT model, so it has great tech, leather heated seats, good nav and stereo, really great functioning adaptive headlights (lights turn into the curve) and automatic high beam, and the HVAC is incredible. There is also something to be said for being able to take a nice relaxing drive without people waving and beeping and taking pictures.

I bought a 2017, still under warranty with 13K miles, for $20K. Maintenance is dirt cheap. Insurance is dirt cheap. Depreciation is slow. And the bloody thing can get up to 38 MPG. I've always wandered how this car gets into so many top 10 best drivers cars lists and now, after 1500 miles in 2 weeks, I totally get it.

And the best thing is, when I climb into the F430 for a spin, it's even more of an event. The roar and power and mass is even more impressive.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case there are others in the same situation.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Auraraptor, Julia, ShineKen and 9 others like this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I've always admired Miatas. Plus, driving in Virginia as I often do, knowing that they can slap the cuffs on you for exceeding 88mph, supreme power is not such a big deal.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's another thing I forgot to mention. In the 430, 80 feels like 60. In the miata, the other way around. You are really driving the car going through turns at 50.

aseweepay and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Honestly, I rather lose value on the Ferrari. It's not a unicorn. Enjoy it and drive it.

5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  6. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Already joined. And I'm going to try to resist the urge to go down the mod path if I can. Resistance may be futile. ;-)

BJK likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Less power, but much less weight! 1,000 lbs less :eek: than a F430 or C8 Corvette. It's really like driving a go kart compared to them. (2019 'ND2' - more power, higher redline :D )

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I know folks paranoid of driving their car too much due to resale. With F-cars, however, there is a point where they go up in value regardless of condition or miles.

I bought a 30K miles 1982 308 about 15 years ago for $20K. Sold it on eBay a couple years later for $27K. What’s those cars bringing these days? A LOT MORE.

saudio likes this.
  9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Let’s see a photo of your 430.

I tried the Miata. I don’t fit and I’m only 6-1. Absolutely no room. Won’t be doing that again.

Robb

ShineKen and Texas Forever like this.
  10. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wonder how much Ferrari $20K would buy these days. ;-)

12. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My ex missus (before she was ex) bought a MK2 MX5 new in 1998. She kept that beyond keeping me and until 2013 (our daughter used it for a couple of years whilst at university) and replaced in with a brand new MK3 in 2010. She still has that MK3.

Miata/Eunos/MX5 are brilliant little cars that you can push with predictable handling whilst still keeping hold of your licence. The only reason I have a BMW Z3 (wanted an MX5) was because my current missus (fiancee) hates MX5's but I think that is down to my ex-missus liking them :D.

Boomhauer and Texas Forever like this.
  13. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Been thinking of adding one myself but the S2K keeps calling my name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I don't comprehend this mentality at all. Owning a super car and hesitating to drive it because it will depreciate defeats the entire purpose of buying it in the first place. Purchasing and driving a Miata, admittedly a nice ride in its price range, and depriving yourself the thrill and joy of the F430 is difficult to rationalize.

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Miatas are wonderful cars. Like gen 1 boxsters. Reallly nice cars for driving. I could never get one though. As a middle aged guy I’d rather be the MAG in the Ferrari than a Miata.. ;)

carguyjohn350 and Manda racing like this.
  16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Fully agree with that impression : my Testarossa used to scare me in a fun way at 60 vs 90 in my ff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Can pick up a descent s52 M roadster for ~ 10k and a legendary s54 m roadster for ~20k. That’s where I would go. Reliable and will have better value retention than a Miata.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A Miata is a disposable track car. If you crash it..no big deal.. just get another one. They are perhaps the perfect hobby racer machine. Cheap, fun, great community of other miata guys and unlimited parts support. Not sure what is not to like..

Auraraptor and Texas Forever like this.
  20. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Sorry didn’t mean to imply I don’t like miatia’s , or they aren’t great cars. You can drive them with little worry about accumulating miles and breakdowns. I can see definitely tracking a Miata.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If driving and enjoying your super cars causes anxiety, owning it is not for you. Why spend hundreds of thousands to induce anxiety when it can be had anywhere for free.

JaguarXJ6, tbakowsky, VGM911 and 2 others like this.
  22. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
  23. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    This is really good to hear. I drove a NA Miata a few years back, and I did not fit comfortably in it at all. Had to scrunch down to see out of it (my eye level was about where the top of the windshield was), and I could not adjust the seat to a position where I could operate all of the pedals without my knees being pinned against the steering column. I'm just under 6' tall, so go to know that the seating position is better for the ND cars.

Also (piling onto what others have said), drive your F430! It's too special of a car (remember that it is a car, not a painting) to not be driven regularly.

24. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This idea is not for everyone. But I think I'm different than a lot of people. I LOVE to drive. We all do, but I'm not sure it's the same for everyone. I have put 2000 miles on the Miata in about three weeks. I drive it to the store. I drive it late at night to see the stars. I drive it just so I can drive it. If I drove the 430 as much as I wanted to, I'd put 15K on it in a year. And it would drop $100K in value in 2 years. I'm not in a financial position to absorb $35K a year in depreciation on a toy. Certainly so now that my business is shuttered due to Covid.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of Ferrari owners don't drive their cars every time they feel like it. If I was in a position to not care about depreciation, I'd have a building full of supercars and drive a different one every day. ;-)

25. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wanted and S2000 but I could not fit into one. I think a lot of sports cars are like shoes. Some people just don't fit in some shoes. I had my sights on an Audi R8, and I could fit comfortably in the coupe but the reduced legroom in the spider just didn't work. And I'll never own a coupe again. Taking the top down for me is integral to the enjoyment.