488 Market | FerrariChat

488 Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Yumeoikake, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yumeoikake

Yumeoikake Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    Hi Everyone,

I am in the market of 488 Coupe and found an example that I am interested. I wonder what should be a fair offer for a car like this under the current market:

2018 488 Coupe Red over Beige, 3000 Miles, MSRP 300k

Main Options including:
    Carbon Driver Zone
    Carbon Center Bridge
    Daytona Seat
    Shield
    Parking Camera and sensors
    HIFI System

One thing that concerns me is that the car only has manual seat (non-electric). Would that be a deal breaker when it comes to resale?

Many thanks for your help

2. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    To be honest with you, if you are worried about resale the 488 is not the best car to currently be looking into buying. With the F8 starting to be delivered I would imagine they will depreciate considerably regardless of how well they are spec’d. The current economy does not help that cause either. I just personally believe the 488 has a lot of room left in its depreciation curve and has not hit the area where the values are near the bottom of the curve. However this is just my opinion and I cannot give you a definitive answer on 488 values in the future.

Tomw384 and Clay512TR like this.
  3. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    The reality is all of these cars are going to depreciate with the curve someone dependent on options, miles, warranty etc against an axis of time.
    My 488 Spider I know will likely drop 80-100k conservatively over 4-5 years I plan to keep it but that is a cost I baked into deciding to buy the car. The F8 will also depreciate also just on a different curve percentage wise but dollar wise not massively different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mighty Joe likes this.
  4. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Market is north of 200, I wouldn't buy 18 unless it was in 190's. I wouldn't buy one period...but that's not what you asked :)

No lift would be deal breaker for me, but your call. Also get one with warranty left or certified.

Good luck.

dustman and Yumeoikake like this.
  5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You could wait for the F8 and pay 100K more for about 40+ more HP? If the 488 makes your heart skip a beat than thats the car for you! Make an offer and see what happens! The 488's are gorgeous cars!!!!
    Happy Hunting......Keep us posted and maybe a pic of your new Ferrari...

mdrums, blkdiablo33 and gmo28 like this.
  6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    The 488 is a great car to enjoy. Would advise against buying one to resell, as they’re far and away from bottoming out. But to answer your question, in my very humble opinion, manual Daytona seats would indeed be a deal breaker for me: I’d rather have either the carbon fiber racing seats, or the fully electric comfort seats. Manual Daytonas are a bit of a no man’s land. Just my two cents anyway. It’s a matter of taste, but as far as general interest and taste, in the broader sense, manual Daytonas aren’t at the top of anyone’s list I’d say.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

FDP and Mighty Joe like this.
  7. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Pricing can be very geographic but here in SWFL that car would have an asking price in the $240-250 range at a non-Ferrari dealer, a little more at a Ferrari dealer. If you can get it at $215-220 that would be a good deal. Frankly in this market (virus) it is very difficult to project pricing. The dealer I sold my ‘17 488 Spider to is still buying cars for inventory whereas many dealers are holding with their existing floor plan (due to banks holding up financing).
    ALL exotics are depreciating and will continue to do so. Don’t let anyone try and convince you to buy a “last of” car under the assumption it will not depreciate as fast as others. For example, I just purchased a ‘19 812 with 4,000 miles for over $100K off MSRP. It was a standard car and color (RC) and also was fully wrapped with XPel and had a 360 radar/laser detector installed. Some were telling me the 812 will be the “last” standard run V12 that was NA and without the GPF. Obviously it depreciated anyway.

ScottS, Gack and Yumeoikake like this.
  8. Yumeoikake

Yumeoikake Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    Thanks for everyone's input. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

I am aware that the 488 will depreciate at a much faster rate than older models like the 458 so am not expecting buying a car without losing a decent amount of money. I guess what I really wanted to ask is what's a fair offer for the 488 I mentioned above at this time of pandemic (without the intention to speculate future depreciation).

9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    there is daytona seat in manual? oh boy.

buy a spec you really like. Just wait for a better spec.

ScottS and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    IMHO, there is not a fair offer per se for this one, due to the presence of manual daytona seat. It's going to be a huge deal breaker for many potential future buyers.

11. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i dont think a 18 488 with a 300k msrp that low miles can be had in the 190s maybe in a year but not now

technom3 and gmo28 like this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    If it has manual seats , does it have adjustable steering column ? Never seen a manual seat as all our cars in Australia came with full electric as standard no cost.

13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I just said what I'd pay. Who knows what a dealer would take or even better a desperate seller. YMMV

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  14. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    The only thing that I agree with is manual Daytona seats are a hard sell I think 488 sexier faster better looking & A lot more fun to drive just open up the exhaust valves and it blows away a 458 if you can live with the manual seats try to get a great deal and go have a blast!

scott61 and Mighty Joe like this.
  15. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    I believe 488 value will hold as good as any other Ferrari during these times.

Robert P, gmo28 and Mighty Joe like this.
  16. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I agree.....The 488 is a stellar car!

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  17. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I bought a 488 in January of this year. 3700 miles, nicely optioned. Red over black. At the time across the US, similar cars were being listed at around $269. I paid a little less than that. I think the jury is out at how badly this pandemic is ultimately going to affect car prices. If you can find a car you like for under $250, that's not going to be a bad price. It's a great car.

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure why the manual seats are such a problem for people? If I was shopping, bad condition would definitely be a deal breaker if it wasn't close to perfect. With options, there are a few "must haves" for me, but I never put electric seats on that list. These cars are usually owned/driven by one person. Once the seat is set, no need to change it. My car has the manual racing seats, and I never said to myself "boy, I wish these things had power". As a matter of fact, I've owned it for 2 years, and never moved the seat once. At some point, I was actually thinking to myself that maybe it is good that they are manual, because being a Ferrari, It's one less thing that can break, lol.
    So, out of curiosity, what is the reason that non power seats are such a deal breaker for you guys? I totally understand if there are multiple drivers, but I'm asking about those one driver cars.

migo, AD211, Ash Patel and 2 others like this.
  19. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Mine has the manual race seats as well, but I push it back all the way every time I get out to protect my seat bolster. I do that in all my cars. I actually prefer manual seatS because I can move it back and forth faster than an electric seat...

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Wouldn't say deal breaker , just didn't know they existed. As stated Standard for us was full electric.

BTW I use my electric seats. One position for driving , second to enter / exit the car. I like that less rubbing to premature wearing up the bolster

up4speed likes this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Manual is certainly faster but with electric you also have the steering wheel movement. Plus you should never shut down a turbo car immediately.

22. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I think the used 488 GTB is the best exotic value buy out there right now - and has been for some time.

Robert P, ScottS, Minte and 1 other person like this.
  23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    He must mean carbon fiber racing seats in Daytona trim....never heard of a standard seat not being electric, whether Daytona or not.

Why are people so concerned about making a “fair offer.” Are you afraid the other party will get all frowny-face on you?
    Go onto you favorite car search site and get an idea for comps...then figure out what you are willing to pay for a dream car (so you set yourself a safety limit similar to a precaution when getting charged up at an auction)...then offer them 25% less.

24. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Never thought to do this, good tip!

25. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    This car might be mine at Continental. As far as the manual seats, I set them once and have not moved them. My car had a total Xpel wrap with coronamic coating ($7k+). Also my car was not tracked nor driven in the rain.