Any DIY guys here? | FerrariChat

Any DIY guys here?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by recoil, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have a F430 in Hampton. I'd love to become more familiar with doing more self maintenance. Anyone somewhat nearby who wouldn't mind an apprentice hanging out watching and learning?

YouTube videos are great but may not be as fun and instructive.

I'll bring the pizza and beer.

Steve

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Steve,

There is a DIY thread in the 360/430 forum at the top of that section. Good luck in your search for some hang out time.
    The NOVA area used to meet once a year in Great Falls for DIY get together, good times.

Caphill and pilotoCS like this.
  3. Freerange

Freerange Rookie

Feb 8, 2020
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Gregory Weate
    Hi Steve, I'm in Virginia Beach and have been learning and working on my 328. So far I've adjusted the clutch pedal, radio update, replaced fuel injectors and accumulator, and currently updating some of the lighting to led.
    We could be each others apprentices, or just drink your beer. haha

Caphill likes this.
  4. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Would love to see your 328! I'll PM you.

Steve

5. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch
    Good afternoon guys. I’m a professional technician and service manager in the Chesapeake area that has finally joined the F club. I just acquired a 87 mondial cabriolet and love it. I have quite the array of tools and a lot of repair experience along with lifts at my shop that are available when needed. Let’s connect soon and keep in touch for repair and social gatherings of our great cars.

6. Al Casteen

Al Casteen Rookie

Feb 21, 2020
    Smithfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Al Casteen
    I'm pleased to report that Steve, Greg, and I met this past Sunday to meet each other and discuss DIY maintenance items. Greg gets the gold star for making this happen with a few phone calls. We met at the Smithfield Ice Cream Parlor in Smithfield, VA and after some refreshment... and cooling off time in the AC!!;):D; we took a short drive over to a local landmark, Windsor Castle, for a couple pictures. My car is red and Greg's is blue. Steve recently sold his Ferrari so all y'all wishing to part with one give him a buzz!!

Turns out Steve was the only one with hands on experience and had much to offer. I look forward to our future discussions and hopefully gaining some experience with at least basic maintenance items as Ferrari dealerships are about equally located three to four hours away in two different directions. We will see what happens.

I'm posting this in hopes of attracting others in the area to join us... for ice cream if nothing else!!:D

Enjoy the pictures.

Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gh21631, E60 M5 and Freerange like this.
  7. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch
    I’m mad I missed this. I had to work. It looks like you guys had a good time. I will be on the next one. If you do need help with maintenance let me know. I have access to the scanners when needed and have quite the tool collection to repair just about anything out there.

Al Casteen likes this.
  8. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am a DIYer and a reaonably new TR owner based in Ellicott City. Would like to get together in the future.

9. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch
    I went to tech school for Lincoln Tech and lived in Elliott City. Whenever I go up to Merriweather Post I see our old apartments off Route 40. Maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle or meet at Ferrari of Washington. Congrats on your TR. That is one I’d like to ride in and see in person.

10. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    North East PA. 1982 308GTSI pretty much took her all apart and back together again. Including rebuilding motor, etc. Very interesting and extremely satisfying journey. Cheers!!!!

Al Casteen likes this.
  11. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Would love to get together and wrench on Fcars! Am in Annapolis, have a 4 post lift with rolling bridge jack, and a 512 BBi mostly disassembled. Also tire machines, mounter/demounter and balancer with road force.

12. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch
    With Covid restrictions going down and I’m betting most of us are vaccinated. When are we going to set a time to get together guys? It’s time to start living and enjoying our cars again. Hope to hear from you all!!!

Al Casteen likes this.
  13. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I am probably only a few miles away.

I am also officially a DIYer now that my 360 needs a new throwout bearing and a major service.

14. peterdaniel

peterdaniel Rookie

Oct 21, 2014
    I'm in Potomac and have a two post lift in my garage. I go to Cars and Coffee at the Corner Bakery behind Montgomery Mall on Saturdays between 8 and 10. We had a C&C on Sunday in Potomac Village but a bunch of idiots ruined it for all of us. So on the second and fourth Sunday we meet in Poolsville between 9 and 11. Hopefully see some of you there.

Supernaut likes this.
  15. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I could really use some help tuning the CIS injection on my TR. It idles poorly and I have spent the last 2 years getting everything around the CIS up to speed.
    Anyone have experience?

16. Al Casteen

Al Casteen Rookie

Feb 21, 2020
    Smithfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Al Casteen
    Well, fellows, I'm finally back with an update. I'm pleased to report that I managed to change the oil and filter on my 360 spider Monday. I didn't try to convene a crowd because it had been so long since we first started talking. Before I started, I did call Greg and found out he was way ahead of my in DIY! I'll let him share his news and experiences. I also owe a big THANK YOU! to Jim in Portsmouth for sharing his experience and taking my calls as I found my way through the process. Jim has a rare 2001 coupe with a sunroof---yep, the one that just pops out! I think there are maybe a dozen in the whole country and he has the gated transmission as well if my memory is correct.
    Now for a summary. I called Ricambi and ordered the oil change kit that included one new oil drain plug and two crush washers along with a filter. I also ordered the recommended filter wrench. The filter wrench worked well but was a bit of a challenge to first get seated on the filter... probably because a rookie was doing it! Next, the rookie realized he couldn't get a wrench on the nut that is built into the top of the wrench... actually I did get a wrench on it but then had no room to begin twisting the filter off! Finally, rookie realized the filter wrench had what looked like a half-inch socket built into the nut on the top of the filter. I took a half-inch universal and connected it to a long extension and was able to fish it down into the half-inch drive connection on top of the filter wrench. BTW, I fished it down from just in front of where the filter is located... if I could do it, I know y'all can. Added my ratchet to the top of the extension and spun the filter right off. Praise the Lord!

Then I encountered what I call an "opportunity." How to get dang filter out of that hole?! Eventually managed to get the filter wrench off first so had more clearance to jockey the filter around to get it out. I tried lots of things but eventually managed to hook one side of filter wrench and pull it up and then same for the other side and finally got it out with me up to my elbows into the underside of the chassis. I'm sure there are better ways but I didn't find one. Then I managed to grab filter with my left hand and gently wiggle it out on the driver's side. That is the route I followed to install the new filter. I tightened the filter using both hands... more like one hand and some fingers from the other! Keep in mind I'm the son of a fellow that ran a service station for 31 years and was one of his chief grease monkeys for many years and have been servicing all of my hot rods and most of my late models since I got my first car.

Back to the story. Jim, and others on You-tube, suggested putting 9 quarts in the engine and testing the level in a warmed up engine before adding any more oil. That is very good advice as I'm told one of the biggest mistakes that can be made is to overfill the engine with too much oil!!

I'm pleased to share that Mobil 1 5W40 with "European Car Formula" is now available at Advance Auto in my area so should be everywhere else, too. I had previously bought some Castrol 5W40 synthetic oil that was the closest I could find to Mobil 1 at that time. I probably won't be able to return it but okay because I wanted to use the correct version of Mobil 1. I started it and let it run for over 5 minutes and checked the oil following the procedure of unscrewing the oil filler cap first and wiping the stick and letting it just rest on top of the filler tube. Barely touched the oil so added half a quart and still not much difference so added the rest of the quart; making a total of ten quarts in the car. That brought it over the bottom hole in the stick but not by much.

When weather cooperated, I took car for a 5 mile ride to get to operating temperature and hopefully get rid of any air that might have somehow gotten into the oil system during the oil change. The oil was still not much above the bottom hole so I added another half quart; bringing the total to 10.5 quarts and that brought the oil level up to about midway between the bottom hole and the top hole of the dipstick which I hope will be fine. I'll wait to hear from others before I try to get the oil level any higher.

I intend to measure the oil I removed just for grins and I'll report back later.

One last thing to be weary of... the oil comes out in a RUSH at both drain plugs!! I'm gonna use that experience next time in order to not make as much of a mess!! I didn't get any oil on my clothes but my legs got a bit slippery when I removed the back plug!!

Supernaut, E60 M5 and waymar like this.
  17. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    So nice to read that some VB fellows are into DIY!! I just sold my California and now I have an FF. We should meet for a pizza in Chesapeake at Signorelli!! stay safe
    G.

18. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch
    I’m free on Sunday.

19. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    la Pizzeria Bella Vista di Signorelli is close Sunday unfortunately. Let's meet for breakfast ? what you think?
    G.

20. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Invitation open to anybody around of course .......

21. Freerange

Freerange Rookie

Feb 8, 2020
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Gregory Weate
    I'm always available for meeting up!
    I have been meaning to post an update on the 328 service.
    Without going into too much detail, here's a quick list of what I've encountered over the last two years.
    1) Removed and replaced fuel accumulator to fix restart issues
    2) Coated all brake pads with anti-squeel to stop being embarrassed at every corner.
    3) R+R leaking heater cores. Had to get a set custom made from Brassworks. Fantastic job.
    4) R+R clutch. A much easier job than anticipated.
    5) Oil, trans fluid,filter. Normal stuff
    6)R+R steering rack. Inner tie rods were worn and it was more cost effective to replace the whole unit.
    7)Updated the oil bypass spring as recommended by Ferrari. Brought oil pressure down into a more acceptable range.
    8)R+R passenger window switch
    9)Currently dealing with the AC. The compressor will lock up and the belt will burn off. Both the compressor and clutch were bad. I just received a new compressor and clutch a couple of days ago and will install it shortly. The unit is from GT Car Parts in Arizona and includes a rotary compressor, a single pully clutch that is cut to the correct angle for our goofy industrial belts, and some very nicely machined mounting brackets.

All of the above repairs were completed in my garage. I wish I had one of Al's lifts. haha
    Haven't been daily driving as much with all the rain, but this car definitely get used frequently and I love it.
    Greg

EastMemphis and Al Casteen like this.
  22. Al Casteen

Al Casteen Rookie

Feb 21, 2020
    Smithfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Al Casteen
    Greg,
    Get your car, parts, pizza, and beer and come on over to use the lift!
    We can invite anybody else willing to drive to Smithfield, VA.
    Just kidding about the food but I will buy ice cream for all that show up!;):)
    See ya soon?
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and congratulations on your accomplishments.
    All the best,
    Al

23. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I just saw this for the first time. I will hand deliver a crisp $10 bill to the guy who changes his oil in FOW's parking lot.

Kidding aside - the Admiral and I miss the mid-Atlantic crew! Hope everyone is well!

Admiral Goodwrench and E60 M5 like this.
  24. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch
    Where and when? I have to give my baby a spit shine since I haven’t washed her in a while.

25. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    egg bistro? keempsville area?what you think? I have to say Smithfield, and the Diner sound good too!!! but Sunday afternoon I have to take my daughters hunting for fossils.
    G.