360 - DIY Power Steering Fluid Flush | FerrariChat

360 DIY Power Steering Fluid Flush

Discussion in '360/430' started by fotostars, Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    The only post about this is directing to E3.02 of the WSM that doesn't tell you much. Some section of that WSM are really lame. Anyhooo...

I elected to disconnected the return line to the reservoir and let it empty itself.
    This is the one in the middle of this photo. In doubt, trace it back from the top.
    I had to remove the 10mm screws that were holding the pipes/hoses around to have more space to work with my hands.
    Just unscrew the clamp and get ready to receive whatever is left in reservoir...

Then plug the end of the line. I found a vaccum plug that just happened to have the perfect OD size to the ID of the hose. ~9/16. YMMV. Anything to plug this will do. This is so that the reservoir doesn't empty when you refill.

Then, On the hard line coming from the rack, I pushed in a 1/2" ID of clear tubing to a catch container. Clamp the tubing to the container so you don't have to hold anything.
    This next picture shows the end coming from the reservoir plugged and the the hard line with the clear tubing.

Now you're done under the car for a while. come back out and fill the reservoir close to the brim with the fluid of your choosing (I used Valvoline Dexron VI Full Synthetic ATF based on recommendations on this forum).
    With the front wheels off the ground, do 3 full lock-to-lock with your steering wheel. Top off fluid, rinse-and-repeat. I did this with 2 quarts of new fluid until what came out of it was nice and clean.

Then back under the car, unplug hose (warning reservoir will empty again!!) and put back into the hardline. Fill back the reservoir to the full line. You're done. Run the engine. lock-to-lock once. Check for leaks and check level again.

Enjoy!
    Richard.

lkstaack and Penzinger like this.
  2. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice pics fotostars. That's pretty much exactly what I did.

3. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks for sharing. Yours is a one shot and complete 100% flush.

I use the lazy route via turkey baster at the reservoir
    Every year (7th now) at the start of the driving season I suction out 2 reservoir full and replace with new fluid.
    I figure at some point in time all of the old fluid would be removed. Takes 15 mins
    Hmmm! Maybe I'll do it just before hibernation as well.

Kevin Rev'n and jcurry like this.
  4. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Richard,
    Did you bleed the system after reconnecting return line and filling the reservoir again or did you forget to mention that?

5. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Bleeding out the trapped air is what I meant.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    System is self bleeding. Just turn the wheels lock to lock a few times and you are good to go.

7. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Ah! Good point. I was under the impression that a lock-to-lock with the pump running would do that (i.e. self-bleeding)... As Skidkid mentioned. What's your experience? Anything different?

8. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Coincidentally, I just had to replace a bad pump in my Hummer(H1) and and after that, I tracked my Superformance Daytona Coupe and burned up the power steering pump on the track. Never ever had a pwr steering pump problem ever and then two back to back.
    Looks like you never pumped out all of your fluid, just flushed until clear then hooked it back up to reservoir and filled it up. My mistake for not reading carefully. I flushed both of my systems dry to make sure there was not debris in the system so I had to do the air burp thing because the systems were dry.
    360 service is due so might as well flush the pwr steering fluid while I am at it. That will be three in as many months.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you suck out the fluid using a vacuum hand pump once a day, and refill it, then drive it, and do that for a week, you will have 95% new fluid in the system. No need to make a mess.

Kevin Rev'n and jcurry like this.
  10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1 if you a search on Valvoline Dexron VI you will find recommendations from serious F car owners, such as Taz.

However, I read these statements this morning online and am hoping for an explanation since I don't believe everything I see on the web.

"DEXRON®-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications."

"DEXRON®-VI replaces DEXRON®-III and DEXRON®-III-H in all applications except power steering and manual transmissions. Do not use DEXRON VI as a power steering fluid. It is marked on the bottle not to be used as power steering fluid."

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/426/can-i-use-a-dexron-iii-automatic-transmission-power-steering-fluid-where-a-dexro

Anyone have a bottle handy to check?
    Are those specifications (for PS) only for GM vehicles?

Let's learn together!

11. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Talking about learning together: I went down to the garage to take a picture of the last bottle I didn't use. And guess what, I actually used Castrol Transmax DEXRON VI . Don't ask me how I got Valvoline and Castrol mixed up, I have no idea... But here you have it... Never believe what you read on the web!!

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Fwiw ..I have done the research and the closest apdc to original fill is the mobil 1 sync atf .. it is not VI comparable but is comparable the III which was the original fill

I will stick with what I have done my due diligence ..my two cents worth

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

13. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Still it's a Dexron VI. Did the bottle say "not for PS?"
    I am concerned because my car was changed over to Valvoline Dexron VI like others

14. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
  15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    To continue my post above with all the typos ..

In my research I compared viscosity among other things and the VI just didn't compared .. iirc it was much thinner .. i felt if the design ( maybe giving too much credit to ferrari etc) was based on the then III viscosity and what was recommended shell donax then putting something that has a different viscosity , flows etc could be better or worse ..but I look at it this way ..it was designed for that level of viscosity why take a chance..stick with the same spec .. most oil brands still have the Allison 4 and III fluid on top of the VI

16. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thank you fotostars.

17. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Good stuff - thanks! Just getting ready to perform this service on my 2003 Modena Coupe...

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It looks like a more suitable power steering fluid is Valvoline's Synthetic Type F ATF, which specifically says it can be used in power steering systems. My techs have just used Valvoline Dexron III for the last few years.

The Dexron VI caused no problems while we were using it, but......

19. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Go with III

20. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My mechanic recommends Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife Dex-Merc P/S fluid.

21. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    any reason why people aren't using something like Pentosin CHF 202 once the original fluid is flushed out?

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- The only power steering fluids Valvoline makes that I can find are the Type F ATF and the racing power steering fluid. Maxlife is another ATF they make.

23. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I know this is an old thread
    Just a quick note - I have been researching the difference between the shell Donax and Castrol Transmax VI, I plan to use to flush my my 360's power steering system.
    from what I can see the key value is the Viscosity Index - the higher the number the more stable the product is over a tempreture range.
    for example the Shell product specified in the shop manual has a VI of 112 where the Castrol is 161 much flatter over a temperature range
    Also the viscosity at 100C is the same 5.9 for both products.

here is an article explaining VI https://www.q8oils.com/energy/viscosity-index/

24. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The last time I researched this the mobil 1 syn atf was the best match

25. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    well, I plan to use Royal Purple brand synthetic PS fluid in my PS system !
    my petroleum engineer friend says it is the best and is totally compatible!
    BTW we used it ,( his recommendation ) , their PS fluid in our F-1 system instead of ATF and it works BETTER !
    we also used their Synthetic gear oil in the transmission ! shifts better now IMHO Image Unavailable, Please Login