Original Magnum PI 308 displayed at Universal Studios, Florida? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Original Magnum PI 308 displayed at Universal Studios, Florida?

Discussion in '308/328' started by matumorales, Jul 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Never mind, I just saw his post above

2. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    #127 matumorales, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It just came up while I was browsing the net! This looks like the same stunt-car previously discussed on some sort of display with a cardboard Tom Selleck by its side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Karrnutt

Karrnutt Rookie

May 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wayne Peterson
    Greeting all, New Guy here....Old Guy, everywhere else:) I am a little "late" to this discussion, so please forgive me. I got here by trying to find out more about the MMM or Magnum Mystery Machine, at Universal studios. I stumbled on shot of it on-line taken in 2013, and it looked weather beaten, to say the least. I know it's not a real 308, but it still deservers some respect. I have written Universal, to find out more about it. I am hoping my past connections as a supplier to Universal, and my now current position as a travel/tour magazine journalist may get me past their "fire wall." I know form some work I did about the same time with MGM Studio's that they don't have the space to save a lot of these props. I only hope this one hasn't been scraped. I will let you know what I find out. Oh, by the way, in one of the video's I watched the tour guide referenced the car as "a fiberglass body with a VW engine."

4. Karrnutt

Karrnutt Rookie

May 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wayne Peterson
    By looking at the photos posted here, I have determined that there are two of these "stunt cars." On one you can see the indent for the front badge, but not on the other. One car might be in Orlando, and the other in Hollywood?

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like it has the Euro rear deck lid.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Its a plastic toy. I don't believe it was ever in Hawaii, but that is just my opinion.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    He was whispering in her ear, let’s make babies. :D

8. Karrnutt

Karrnutt Rookie

May 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wayne Peterson
    Only "Rick" would know. He did a cameo in the new Magnum series as a piano player in the Kahehameha Club. Older and heavier, but still Rick. I would have thought they would have used a Mera? I know there is at least one in Hawaii,, in fact there is one for sale there now. But since only 254 Meras were made, they might not want to trash one of those either.

9. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    Sounds like somebody is mixing up their 308 TV Ferraris with the Daytona/Testarossa story from Miami Vice production. (Though it's also entirely possible that the 308s could/should have been crashed for different reasons, too.)

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    TC did a cameo too. Did you catch that one?

11. Karrnutt

Karrnutt Rookie

May 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wayne Peterson
    During this "lock down" I have been binge watching The old (cooler) Magnum Pi series, in last nights episode Magnum is drugged and the 308 is run off a cliff, front end is really smocked up. Of course it is repaired. But I must say, it looks like twisted metal. And since back then there was no digital editing, real car or not??

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    We learned in that episode Magnum doesn't drive with the seat all the way back...

13. Karrnutt

Karrnutt Rookie

May 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wayne Peterson
    No really? What part did he play? I did catch an interview on Youtube with Tom Seleck where he thought that the new series would not be very successful.
    In my opinion it's ok, but not the chemistry that the original series had. And I hated them for destroying the 308, yeah I know it was only "digital magic," But it showed no respect for the original show, kind of a "in your face" moment.

14. Karrnutt

Karrnutt Rookie

May 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wayne Peterson
    Very good, your right!

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    He was a barber. He was cutting the new TC's hair.

16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    There is an article floating around on the internet that explained how they made the car look damaged I'll see if I can find it. They basically put damaged metal around the real car.

17. Karrnutt

Karrnutt Rookie

May 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wayne Peterson
    Well that makes me feel better! You really had to be creative back then. I respect that. Waste not, want not.

18. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    and what's the news content of this comment?

19. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    What's the news content of YOUR comment?

20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I watched an episode yesterday titled Torah Torah Torah where the 308 is sandwiched between two trucks and a significant amount of damage is done.

21. Karrnutt

Karrnutt Rookie

May 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wayne Peterson
    I haven't gotten to that one yet, I just finished the one called FLASHBACK, where he is in a Bugatti from the 1930's! Looks like he's in a kids toy car.
    Watching these "old" Magnum PI's has me looking for a 308 GTSi! No luck, only scammers!