Tire Choices 458 | FerrariChat

Tire Choices 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Duane, May 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Duane

Duane Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    CONNECTICUT
    Full Name:
    Duane B
    Wondering what most people are doing for tires. Currently have P Zero but going to change our to Michelin. I know they have the Pilot sport 4s but also have have the Pilot Super sport.

Can anyone provide insight?

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    The only downside to the 4s is how sticky they are when warmed up. It's a lot harder to break traction.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I have Pilot Super Sports on my 458 Spider and on my 2014 Corvette. I highly recommend them for good grip and a comfortable ride. I have 14,500 miles on the Corvette and the tires have held up well. Also they are very good in the wet. I've not driven on the 4S's but some of my friends are using them for track days as a competitive street tire.

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I just put on a used set of Pirelli Super Trofeo, 80 tread wear I think. I only have 10 miles on them or so, so no real judgement. I have a new set of 4s to go back on my other wheels when back from powder coating. I don't want to run track tires on the street for what should be obvious reasons.

The Pirellis are classic Pirelli. They started sliding early and were very predictable, gave a lot of feel, until they broke loose. They didn't have the recovery the Michelins do. When stomping on the gas, when they broke loose, same problem. The car was very difficult to control with tire spin acceleration vs. the Michelins.

Take this with a grain of salt due to the Pirellis beiing track tires and the Michelins road tires. As I said, I will be back on Michelins when my wheels are done.

5. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Go for the 4S. It’s the benchmark street tire. The SS is the old compound and was replaced by the 4S. When I purchased my 458 I took the SS off and replaced them with 4S.

xfrgtr, Euroryno and johnr265 like this.
  6. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    #6 johnr265, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    This 100%. No reason to get the SS. Older technology, not as grippy, not as good in the wet, and no real difference in price. The SS was a great tire, the 4S a magnificent one. I will only buy Michelins at this point (have tried SO many other tires) for the street and the 4S is their best street tire. Note I am just talking street tire.

By the way, the Sport Cup 2 for the average person will not be a useful or meaningful increase in grip on the street, not quite as good in the wet, much shorter tread life, and is so sticky when hot that it throws a lot more stones up at the car. The 4S is the better all arounder for the street. One other thing, remember the 4S is the fourth generation of their max performance summer tire, NOT a 4 season tire (the name confuses some).

xfrgtr, daflk and v35 like this.
  7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    My personal opinion after having bought the MPSS and Pierrlli
    , and MPSs4s is the MPSS4s

I drive primarily on the street, on long curvy roads with no traffic or lights.

I’ve
    Logged many thousands of miles on each of these tires and feel that for me the MPS4S are remarkably superior.

of course I’m anxious to
    See the next generation.

johnr265 likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Unless you track frequently, run MPS4S. It's the successor to the MPSS. From 15C to 45C it is a more sticky tyre than say an MPSC2. While the PZero is slightly better on track as it handles warmth a bit better, in every other category it is far inferior to the MPS4S. Go with the MPS4S unless you track more than once a month.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Running 355’s rear, only options were 4s or pzero. Obvious choice for 4s, car was much improved.

10. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I have MP4S and recommend them. I’ve even done track days on them, and they’re fine for that, too.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Where do you track? My experience with MPSS and MPS4S is that they overheat easily on track. It's a marvelous road tyre, but it is not a tyre for being pushed hard on track. It just melts and disintegrates.

13. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    I have the 4S. They have excellent traction. They replaced the SS. You will likely not be able to find SS for 458.

14. Duane

Duane Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    CONNECTICUT
    Full Name:
    Duane B
    Thanks guys I just ordered a set of the 4S.

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Sonoma Raceway and Laguna Seca. I can run 1:42-45 at Laguna. You just need to keep track of air pressures as they get hot and let out air. I’ve not run into melting or disintegration problems.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I teresting. What kind of lap times do you run on Laguna? I can't and know of noobody who can keep them from overheating on tracks such as Spa, Knutstorp, Silverstone and even the Ring despite the latter being very easy on tyres. Pressures have been monitored properly, and also experimented with. But during maybe 20000 km on track with MPSS/MPS4S it has not been possible to keep them from running hot kn the 488, GT3RS or GT4.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Did you go with the OE size? Consider changing to the Lusso spec tyres if you did. The 458 can really use the added front bite. It is the 245/35R20 K1 and 295/35R20 K1. If you go this route, steer clear of the 245 K2. It is the Porto front which has a narrower tread which you don't want.

18. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    On Michelin website they quote for the MPS4S

OEM size for the front
    235/30 ZR20 (88Y) XL
    235/35 ZR20 (92Y) XL
    235/35 ZR20 (92Y) XL N0
    235/35 ZR20 92Y XL T0 ACOUSTIC

Rear
    295/35 ZR20 (105Y) XL K1

So a K1 for the rear. What to choose for the front ?

19. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I got the K1 rears. I assume I got the acoustic fronts as they had a foam strip in them. The tires are with the wheels at the powder coat place so I am unable to go look/check.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #20 Il Co-Pilota, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Go with the matching K1 front. Like I said above, it's a better choice for the 458 with the 245 instead of the 235.

If you insist on running the 235 front, go with option number two. Option one is way too small in diameter, and three and four are OE options for Porsche and Tesla. Don't combine one OEM tyre with another as you don't know what was changed. I stress again, your best option is 245/35R20 K1 for the front.