Ferrari GT Recommendations and Historical Prices | FerrariChat

Ferrari GT Recommendations and Historical Prices

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by msnare, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msnare

msnare Rookie

Dec 21, 2017
    I’m planning to buy my first Ferrari, and trying to decide which models best meet my needs. I’d appreciate your thoughts.

I want a GT. I want a car my wife will feel comfortable driving and traveling in
    · Convertible. Calm and quiet enough at highway speed with the top down that I can carry on a conversation.
    · Comfortable to travel in. Good AC, heat, and sound. Cruise control. Good seat adjustments. Not suspended too stiffly. Entry / exit doesn’t require major contortions.
    · Luggage room for 2 roll aboard size bags minimum. Some space behind the front seats for small luggage. 2+2 or just a shelf would be nice.

Maintenance
    · Weekly driver reliablity. I want to travel in this car.
    · Avoids the high end of the scale for maintenance costs.
    · Good availability of parts.

Preferred
    · Gated manual transmission. Important, but not an absolute deal breaker.
    · Mid-engine, but I’m open
    · NA flat plane crank engine, but I’m open
    · Manttino equipped for driver mode selection, softer settings for my wife.

I’d like to be able to do a couple of gentle track days a year. Easy stuff, I have a race car for hardcore track work. I just want to play. Things I’m looking for include…
    · Some rollover protection. Enough to pass typical track requirements. Do the 360 and 430 built in roll hoops generally pass track requirements?
    · Mount points for a 5 or 6 pt harness would be nice
    · Ability to disable air bags also nice if I can snap in a harness.
    · Track capable engine cooling.
    · Track capable brakes, with availability of track compound brake pads.

What else should I think about as far as specs and criteria?

Price. I’d like to stay under $100k for a well-maintained car with all records, but a bit over is OK.

So far, the models I’m looking at are the 360 and F430 Spiders. I know the F430 is a lot more car, at a higher price. I’m not sure I need that in a mainly street driven weekly driver. I’m not a fan of how the California looks, and there are apparently almost none with a manual.

I’m also looking for a site with historical prices for Ferraris. BaT is not bad. Many of the sites that people have mentioned in prior posts here seem to require you pay a subscription before you can see what they offer. I don’t mind paying but would like to know what quality info I’ll get before I pay. Any suggestions about where I can find this info?

Thanks!

paulchua likes this.
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there are 5 manual calis, but dont bother.
    430 spider is the pick.
    there are many for sale.
    pony up and pay for silver and access the classifieds here.

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I don’t see my 360 as a “gt” type car.

the 430’s I have driven also don’t seem to fit that bill.

love my Aston for a gt though. Maybe none better in that role. I’d suggest a v12 Ferrari but not really convertibles in those models at all... or in your budget.

Robb

4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    There are no cars that cover your requirements.

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Agree, OP needs to take a deep research dive.

BLAMPEE, anunakki, Robb and 1 other person like this.
  6. msnare

msnare Rookie

Dec 21, 2017
    Thanks for you input. Would you mind sharing where you think a 360 or 430 falls short of what I'm looking for? I know neither is a classic GT, little luggage space, not as comfortable to spend hours in as other cars, etc.

I could buy an Aston or other GT, but what I'm looking for is the best gated, spider Ferrari for GT use, not the best GT. What I'm looking for here is personal experience about traveling in a 360 or 430, or another Ferrari you think might be a better choice. Could you fit enough luggage to take your wife away for a weekend? Were you both reasonably comfortable in the car after 3 hours? Does the AC work well? How is the wind noise at highway speeds with top down? That kind of thing.

I'd also really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience using any of the "pay for access" sites with historical price info. How solid and current was the info.

Thanks.

7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    550 or 575, no?

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. msnare

msnare Rookie

Dec 21, 2017
    The 550 did not come in a real spider, right, just the open car with the rain cover? And the 575 would be nice but the good ones seem to be above my price range. Thanks for the response though!

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The car that most meets your needs would be a Masersti Grandtourismo or the Ferrari California. Thats about it really. 360/430 lack the luggage space you seem to desire. One of those..or a Corvette would work too.

Robb and psych0hans like this.
  10. psych0hans

psych0hans Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Bombay, India
    You could also consider a Mclaren 570GT, but definitely do your research, as there are way too many horror stories with Mclarens.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The only “gt” convertibles that Ferrari makes is a California, California T, or Portofino. These range around 90k, 130k, 200k or more and meet most of your preferences since you already have a track specific car.

Ferrari made an open top 550 called the Barchetta and a movable targa roof 575. These are both “gt’s” that both cost around 400k. several other limited models also but those cost more than that.

These convertible gt’s above give you what you are looking for in a car that you listed but may not match your budget or initial leaning.

the 612 and FF are very nice and comfortable cars with four full size seats. They also fit the mile munching gt type categories happily but do not come in a convertible. But I think you would enjoy them, a 575, 550, or 599 if you are ok with a solid roof and they meet your budget.

The Maserati Granturismo mentioned above is a super nice gt car with 4 full size seats and also comes in a convertible but the vert has a very small trunk. But could very well be the perfect car for you AND the wife you mentioned.

The 360 and F430 are very edgy cars with their ride, handling, engine noise, and extra space. Their top operation can also be problematic. While livable, they are not what anyone here thinks about when the daily driven GT moniker is thrown out. No cruise control that you were looking for, harder suspensions, tails that can easily be thrown around, terrible radios, And while possible, I would not reach for the keys to these to drive cross country. That would be the Aston, Maser, or 12 cyl front engine Ferrari’s first. Check out the model forums.

Robb

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #12 paulchua, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Mondial t hits all 3.

I've owned my Mondial t for 7 years and almost 30K miles. First year was all about getting it sorted from previous owners that didn't give a $hi1.

The subsequent 6 years, had 1 breakdown from a broken shifter rod of all things. (happens on the 348 and 355 too) - cost to fix? $650

Had a flat tire once.

That said, I fix everything that comes up and follow scheduled maitenance, and have shown even after all my maintenance, still cheaper then if I bought a brand new Toyota.

Gated? (check)
    Mid engine? (check)
    N/A flat crank? (check)
    3 driver modes including soft? (check)

Would have to install roll bars, doable see here.
    No airbags (haha)
    seat belt mounts, extra cooling, competition brakes, all would aftermarket, but easily doable propositions.
    My track session at Laguna Seca.

You can get clean ones around 50K

check out hammerpriceapp and classic.com

Of course, some say it's the ugliest car in the world, that's it's not a 'real' Ferrari, that it will blow up spontaneously, etc. That I leave up to you.

Attached Files:

• cab.jpg
      cab.jpg
      File size:
      40.2 KB
      Views:
    Wade likes this.
  13. msnare

msnare Rookie

Dec 21, 2017
    Wow, great info and ideas. Thank you guys for taking the time to help! I guess I have to decide how much GT functionality I need vs how much sport. The Maserati is already on my radar, but I've always wanted a Ferrari, may be a tough choice. McClarens and Astons are nice cars, just don't grab my imagination the way a Ferrari does. Corvette? Unbeatable performance for the money. just don't appeal to me. Thank you again!

paulchua and Robb like this.
  14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Having owned a 355, 360 and California I call tell you the sports cars are not GT cars in any sense. The Cali is a GT.

If you want a manual GT convertible you either have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a Superamerica or go back to the 1980s and pick up a Mondial. But dont expect any kind of modern driving experience with the Mondial. Cool fun car but it is definitely a 1980s car.

I say forget the manual and get a California.

carguyjohn350, paulchua and Robb like this.
  15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Go look at Cali T. Or Maser. They are kissing cousins and likely your winner. Then just see the bang for the buck to decide.

Robb

anunakki and paulchua like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #16 paulchua, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Very accurate, but I argue in the right way for me. I prefer my Mondial t over my 456M and old gen 1 NSX, both of which I feel ushered in the 90's 'cushier' feel. Not saying this is objectively bad, just that they are missing a lot engine minimalist 'engine strapped to a go-cart' feel with many 80's cars. I've had folks like John Mozart say the same to me about his 60's Ferrari like his 250 GT compared to 80's Ferrari.

All relative, I guess.
    :)

...and compared to say driving a Tesla? Not even the same universe. Many Teslas can leave most Ferrari in the 'dust' when it comes to the typical street light knuckle drag...yet every time I climb in ours, I dream of my Ferrari. (cuz you know, you might be going fast, but feel no passion, so you got to sleep, especially with Autopilot, as fun as going 500 mph....but on a Boeing 737)

anunakki likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I enjoyed driving the Cali t - great car.

Caphill and Robb like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Have you considered Porsche? Really can't go wrong with them either. If not, I understand, the Ferrari passion hit me hard too...

Caphill likes this.
  19. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    There are GT F cars and there are manual F cars, but there are not GT manual Fcars that also have decently new tech, AC, reliability, etc that was also required, especially as a vert. The closest would be a manual 612, but its not a vert and its not 100k. I hate to say this but the car that would be modern, comfortable, convertible, powerful, great tech and reliability, and have real luggage space int he stated price range is a late 7th gen Corvette or maybe a DB9 if you can find one in a manual (and if you consider that reliable). However, it is not a Ferrari. For F car, the Cali is probably the ticket and forget the manual trans.

anunakki likes this.
  20. msnare

msnare Rookie

Dec 21, 2017
    Thanks again for all the continuing input! The Cali may be the ticket. The 430 appeals a lot, but I think my wife would hate being in it, which would mean less opportunity to drive it.

21. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Obviously, you know your wife and what she may or may not like far better than anyone else.
    That said, I daily drive my 430, and for road trips back and forth to the beach, to Daytona etc., Mrs. Rosso has called out a number of times how comfortable the 430 is to ride in.

(Of course, that said, back in 2010 she folded herself into the 328 with a couple of bags under her feet, stuff packed behind her seat with most of our luggage being shipped ahead of us for the 6+ hour drive up to Savannah for the FCA nationals. Yes, I picked a good one.)

22. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I need to chime in here re the 360/430. W have owned our F1 360 spider for seven years and have taken a TON of road trips in it. My guesstimate is over 15K miles worth. Spring training in Phoenix every year, Yosemite, PCH couple of times, Santa Barbara more times than I can remember, etc. We have a nice cushy BMW sedan but somehow always choose the 360 for the next trip. Here as some highlights.

-Comfort. I am large at 6'4"/240, but this car feels like it was made for me. I love driving it for long distances in addition to the spirited drives in the mountains where we live. The car is so responsive and easy to drive that I can go hours without tiring or getting uncomfortable. The climate control is amazing. I leave the system on all the time in auto. About perfect. We cross the desert a couple of times in the summer with temps over 110 and the interior is always comfortable.

Luggage. These cars hold a lot more luggage than you might suspect. We bought the car as a sports car, but after we decided we might want to actually go somewhere in it I started researching luggage. We settled on Piel, which is nice stuff. Naked tan leather and a lot of choices. Here's what we get into the car:

Trunk - Two large carry on suitcases (largest of three sizes)
    Three suit garment bag.
    Satchel
    Car cover
    Tools, books, detailing stuff
    Couple bottles of fine tequila

Behind the seats _ Large duffle bag
    Medium duffle bag
    Camera bag

Sound. Ambient noise is not bad. We cruise at 4000-4200 rpm and have no trouble carrying on a conversation. Sound system deficiencies are well documented, but we always load up the CD player and it's not terrible.

So I haven't owned most of the cars discussed in the above posts, but if I was in your spot I would sure take a good look at the 430. Checks off a lot of your boxes. In any case, good luck. This is a fun part of Ferrari ownership.

Caphill and anunakki like this.
  23. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    If you have not driven a 612, you should.
    It’s mid (front) engine and long wheel base makes for a better ride and more neutral handling than the Maranellos and it is just as fast- or faster.
    They have to be near the bottom of the curve price wise.

24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #24 Themaven, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    OP, if you find a Ferrari that fits those criteria, let me know as I will be next in line!

I have a gated 430 Spider which is one of your possibles. It's fabulous and fun. Compared to my gated 575, it isn't a GT car, but the 575 doesn't come as a convertible (barring the crazy expensive SA). You are actually specifying the impossible, as a car which is easy in and out and a good cruiser isn't going to be a gated mid engined track day car, though that would be nice.

As convertible seems to be a deal breaker: Apart from the Maserati (which doesn't come as a gated and isn't mid engined or flat plane crank or a track car or much of a handler), you could try for:

Manual Aston V12 Vantage
    Manual 991 GTS Targa/Cabrio or PDK Turbo Cabrio
    Auto Bentley Conti V8S (but not for the track)
    AMG GTS (automated manual)

But if I were you I would go for a Cali 30 HS. It's a Ferrari, it can cruise, it's convertible, it has stiffened but still comfortable suspension, an extra 30 horses over the original Cali, and a N/A engine. Or a Cali T HS, more grunt, arguably less character from engine.

I'm not sure they are track cars, and they are not manual or flat plane crank, but closest to your sweet spot.

Again, I love my gated 430 Spider but it's a car for weekend thrills, not cruising. It also depends on your and your wife's tolerances, 430 ride is pretty good but it's low to get in and out of and the gearing and steering just wants to twist and shout. It does come with a gated manual and a manettino and would work well on track though.

Caphill and Robb like this.
  25. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek