ECU for SuperAmerica top bad? | FerrariChat

ECU for SuperAmerica top bad?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by leonetti, May 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leonetti

leonetti Karting

Oct 22, 2004
    Woodinville
    Full Name:
    Mike Leonetti
    Hi all,
    I've had many minor glitches through the years with the top opening and closing, but always managed to work around the problems. This time I get the error message to close the top all the time, even though the top is closed. The top will not move at all electronically, only by hand if manually laid back, but it will not secure in place. Basically, dead. My dealership swapped out the ECU from another SA and it works. Bad news, Ferrari has no replacements. Dealer offered to send the ECU back to Italy in hopes of them finding a soft/firmware person to try and repair the unit. Has anyone had a similar issue and had a better outcome?
    Thanks for any help,
    Mike

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    The software and hardware for these ECUs is probably very specific to the SuperAmerica and unless there is something visibly broken in the ECU, I doubt a local repairer could fix it. If Ferrari are willing to attempt a fix, I would take them up on the offer.

I see there are two ECUs in the system. Ricambi shows the bigger box in stock (P/N 211270), but not the smaller box (P/N 211269) .

Does the box have a no tamper seal? If no luck finding a repairer or replacement, I'd be opening up the box and looking for fried components, leaky capacitors and taking lots of clear photos of the circuit board and components and getting part numbers of those components for the experts on the forum to look at. No roof activity at all (up or down) may indicate an ECU power supply problem. Note that if you break a no-tamper seal, Ferrari may refuse to work on the box.

Does the box have a manufacturer's name on it?

3. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The biggest issue is going to be the proprietary firmware, and unless Ferrari gives you access to this it will be an uphill battle. I had a faulty ECU in my 550 that was sent back to Bosch in Germany but they couldn’t fault it so I had to purchase a new one from Ferrari. Fortunately these were/are still available.

https://www.bosch-repair-service.com/en/category/engine-control-unit/

I would go down the path as suggested by Qavion in the hope that it might be a dry solder joint or leaky capacitor.
    You don’t have anything to loose.

Good luck

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    There are quite a lot of instrument cluster and ecu repair companies around the place. Good places will indeed carry out a close visual inspection for any damaged components, and can replace just about any of the components. The flash memory can also be read off and copied onto a new chip too, provided the data is still intact. If the data is corrupted, thats one area where only Ferrari can help you. That is unless you have a spare ecu to read the firmware off.

5. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    You could try ecu doctors dot com, I think they do repairs on our old 550 ECUs. Ive never used them personally so cannot vouch for their work but couldn't hurt to send them a message

JSP likes this.
  6. leonetti

leonetti Karting

Oct 22, 2004
    Woodinville
    Full Name:
    Mike Leonetti
    Thanks Qavion. FOS still has the car. It is the larger one. I have not seen it so can't ascertain the ECU maker. I checked with Algar and they must have sold it because it is not available now. Sounds like I should get it home and take a closer look myself. That could be a dangerous proposition. :^) I'm really good at breaking things. We have a great Ferrari group up here in the northwest. I'll bet if I put out a call for help, this story can have a happy ending.
    Thanks again for your help and hwyman too.

Qavion likes this.
  7. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I had exacly the same problem (see my post :https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/575-superamerica-roof-electronic-control-unit.589393/).
    Part 211269 was not operating properly. I eventually sent it back to the Ferrari classiche department and they got it fixed for me. In the mean time, I found a brand new one within the Ferrari official dealers network. Feel free to send me a PM if you want some more details, knowing how annoying it can be, I'll be happy to help.

ewright likes this.
  8. DAVIDZIM

DAVIDZIM Rookie

Jan 17, 2015
    I have never done a post here.

I have a similar issue with the top on my SA. The car was stored and I think the battery did not have enough current to operate the top so it lost power in the middle of the opening cycle. I replaced the battery. I went through the procedure to reset the ECU shown in the owners manual and it worked a couple of times earlier this summer. Now, when I attempt to open the top, the windows lower, the securing levers rotate on the trunk lid but the top does not open.
    I can manually rotate the top and lower it on the trunk lid. The systems shows the top as partially open and the levers to secure the top when down don't lock it in place. Dash shows press close......

The top closes perfectly.

I checked both fuses and they are OK Any ideas?
    Dave

9. leonetti

leonetti Karting

Oct 22, 2004
    Woodinville
    Full Name:
    Mike Leonetti
    Hi,
    No easy answer here. I was able to get my top fixed by replacing the larger ECU. Ferrari of Seattle was able to locate a new unit from an authorized dealer in Europe, perhaps the last OEM one around a year ago. The mechanism for that top is so finicky, if the mini struts and rotating clutches aren't in perfect balance, error messages are tripped. I've had to help my top or restrain my top manually while in operation to achieve a successful opening or closing off and on for the last 17 years! There is a chance that the top is sensing too much stress trying to open and throwing the error. I'd start with your Ferrari dealer and let them work through the system. If it comes down to the ECU, they can search their network for a new (unlikely), or a refurbished unit.
    Best of luck,
    Mike

10. DAVIDZIM

DAVIDZIM Rookie

Jan 17, 2015
  11. cannondale

cannondale Rookie

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    feng
    hello could u help me find the part 211269,using diagmostic shows no connecting the module.

12. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I do not have good news for you. I got a message last year from another fchatter who was also looking for that part. I tried to help but couldn’t find one anywhere.

Best option would be to try to have it fixed by the classiche department at the factory. They did it for me in the past. Your dealer should be able to contact them and ask for you.

I still have my repaired one but keep it aside as a very precious thing….