Thank you European Auto Group for my F1-Manual F430 Conversion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thank you European Auto Group for my F1-Manual F430 Conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by catdog, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    360— don’t blame me !!! Ha!

I do have a crazy plan to build a budget salvage 360 street hpde challenge car —
    stripper of every leather clad luxury bit

f430 budget cs muffler

headers

200 cel cats

A/m coil overs

forged wheels

gated swap

racing seats

roll bar

———.

hit every hpde near me... commute to work...

stay far away from any bougie car shows!!!

——

I would sit on cash right now... things do not seem right to me..., Fundamentals not at play. Another subject.

——

2. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    #27 catdog, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Love the mannetino action now that the car is a manual; obviously since driver is in charge of shifting, one can appreciate the changes in throttle response and damping and exhaust valve on-off without having any effect on shifting speed as it does with F1 !!

Overall, car has become more ' old school' I love it but certainly not as high techy crazy fast shifting as F1.

Both flavors are delicious, definitely different ...

aseweepay and one4torque like this.
  3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Vids pleez!!!

4. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Will try to make some tomorrow ...
    Hopefully weather clears :)

5. 0phantom0

0phantom0 Rookie

Feb 14, 2016
    So no issues with the ECUs? Thats great, I know he had some issues with the Scud conversion but of course there was no manual option.

6. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Car runs perfect!
    Mannetino works as from factory
    Even the center display which showed gear number with F1 transmission now shows up shift arrow as intended (my car is a 2007/earlier ones may stay blank).

EAG had both ecu's reprogrammed to year appropriate manual code. Art promised F430 switch would be seamless and he delivered. I think Scud never had the manual code from the factory so different story.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I would LOVE to know where they sourced the manual transmission shifter assembly. Totally NLA everywhere I look.

8. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    so whats the total cost? $30k?

9. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    To the OP:

Good to see that you had a positive interaction with Art & EAG, and that he actually delivered on his promises.

He purchased all the remaining stock from Ferrari a while back, is what I was aware of. Long time ago though.

vrsurgeon likes this.
  10. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I'd call EAG because prices may be different depending on many factors but the price list is on their website gatedsix.com

11. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    $10k to fix an F1 Pump? Sounds like a complete robbery...

12. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Well I spent $800 on diagnosis at the local official Ferrari dealer and they couldn't fix the problem so the next steps were not going to be appetizing; I estimated $3-4K labor and same for parts...

Anyway it's all water under the bridge, I love my car now in manual guise and it's a different experience all together. I don't have to listen to the F1 pump and worry about not being able to shift above 2nd gear or be stranded ... at least not from aging F1 issues.

This was a personal decision based on local garages and their cost to repair F1; may have elected to repair F1 replace pump etc. if I knew a good local mechanic at that with reasonable prices maybe different ending. But being charged $800 for a non conclusive diagnostic work to have mechanics drive my car for a 100 miles and still not fix the intermittent problem with the F1 pump light left a bad taste and I wasn't going to trust them further.

one4torque likes this.
  13. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    F1 pump is like $1000 bucks and maximum a couple of hours of labor. For 10K you could easily have the complete F1-system rebuilt here in Europe.

14. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Wow, you are lucky... prices here for labor and parts seem to be much higher

15. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Yep, it´s not the first outrageous bill i have seen from the US. Being a Ferrari dealer seems like a gold mine in the States.

16. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Yes it is... Can you imagine billing someone $800 to drive car, adjust PIS, exchange some diagnostic info with Italy and then not solve the problem and then be ok with that? I mean charging $ for driving your customer's car and fiddling with it and then give it back with same intermittent issue? And wasting 3 weeks in the process

17. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    That´s just insane. Hope you have a great time with your gated 430!

18. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Absolutely phenomenal....congratulations !!!

I’ve long considered buying a F430 and converting it....but....for now I got new headers/exhaust and am in the process of getting a tune and correcting previous monkey-**** work done to my 360 (or in some cases, work I paid for that wasn’t done) and when done it will put down as much hp as a 430 if not just a little more....so for now...I’m gonna hold onto the 360.....I love my car, but your post has me thinking again.....hmmmmmm

catdog likes this.
  19. Rvinoly

Rvinoly Rookie

Jan 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael Vinoly
    Hello all, my first post here...
    I'm the owner of the BaT car referenced above, and can wholeheartedly second the comments from @catdog
    This is my first Ferrari (lifetime Porsche guy...:) and am really impressed with the workmanship of the conversion. I've never driven an F1 so can't compare, but far easier/crisper to shift than my 993, and the engine response is fantastic as well. Looking forward to learning from all of you!
    Cheers,
    Rafael

MikeR397, mrp_e, AandSC and 3 others like this.
  20. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Thanks Rafael, same experience here the more I drive it the more I love it. The engine throttle response is phenomenal so you can easily double clutch. In sport/race the engine sound with the valves opening up in the exhaust is a riot. It's just an incredible tactile experience with a lot of nice feedback. Only question now is keep the stock Aluminum gearshift knob or go with the CF one? CF would go with rest of car interior and CF steering wheel but aluminum has that connection with the past ... thoughts??

Rvinoly likes this.
  21. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I always thought the aluminum one looked classy, and complimented the rest of the interior.

mathewr and catdog like this.
  22. Rvinoly

Rvinoly Rookie

Jan 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael Vinoly
    Aluminum all the way, gotta keep the heritage alive! One of the comments during the auction suggested blacking out the hump and keeping the gate aluminum, as it does look a bit bulky...

catdog likes this.
  23. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Best money you could spend on a 430 IMHO. Great car. The F1 is great when it works.. a nightmare when it doesn't. Traded mine for the 550 due to F1 issues, had I kept it, it would've gotten the conversion. Once stock runs out on the manual parts it'll be "I wish I did it when I could"

catdog likes this.
  24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    cd- Do you mean double clutch or heel and toe? To double clutch you actually pause in neutral to bring the revs up to ease the load on the synchronizers or to shift in a crash or dog clutch gearbox without synchronizers. Heel and toe just matches the revs for the next gear to prevent drivetrain lurching.

25. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Exactly, it's awesome for double clutch because of the sharp quick throttle response and light flywheel, both on upshift and on downshift...

Also heel and toe is awesome too, but I am still working on it because the flywheel is so light...

Overall, it's such a great experience, very different from F1 (which I kinda miss but not its fragility...)