Speciale --> Pista --> Speciale | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Speciale --> Pista --> Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, May 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree, there is such a thing as ''too fast for the roads''. Especially European roads, which tend to be quite a bit narrower than those found in the states (seriously, those long sweeping corners in California are so wide...a modern NA Ferrari can be driven mega fast there!). The newer stuff is so impressive but so unbelievably fast, I can't imagine they'll be as fun on the road as their slower counterparts...track is a whole other ballgame, if I was doing a lot of track days and didn't want a dedicated track car, Pista all the way (and with a bit less noise it should be easier to pass noise tests than a Speciale, let alone Challenge Stradale!).

Manda racing likes this.
  2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That can’t possibly be correct. Seems like there were over 100 for sale online in the US at one point.

3. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    I feel like every time there is a new model everyone just defends the old one. This happened when the 488 came out. 458 sound is so much better and has more soul. I had both for a week and stepping into the 458 after the 488 drive, the 458 felt so old school from braking, power delivery and overall performance there was no need to have it. I even thought the 488 sounded better, actually didn't find the 458 better in anyway, maybe looked a bit cleaner.

My pista finally came 2 months ago. I haven't driven a speciale in a while but the pista is amazing. Sounds great, obnoxiously loud on the interior that I can't even take a bluetooth phone call at 70mph. Not sure what people want these days. A slower NA car that revs to 9k and has no torque? Porsche GT3 is that. Pista is trying to compete with the best of the best.

Bundy, Manda racing, MANDALAY and 7 others like this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Your spot on, it happens with every model and I agree the Pista doesn't sound as bad as some make it out and it does get better with miles. I would also like it to be more aggressive but its not awful.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    A bit off the mark here.

Most here are merely pointing out the sound is light years better in the 458 than the current gen. Outside of that the 488 platform is a great step on.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Most older gen cars sound better not just Ferraris. Best we have now are the Lambo's and last gen Ferraris. It is what it is.

freshmeat and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  7. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    Maybe I'm going with the times here and might be a bit more controversial of a view but I am starting to like the turbo era sounds. I own a 720s as well and I even think that sounds good in track mode. Yes it doesn't sound like a 458 or v12 but it has its unique character.

I also think the typical ferrari customer doesn't want an extremely loud car. Its fun for like 15 mins, then your wife starts yelling at you that she can't make a phone call.

Manda racing, uhn2000 and SoCal to az like this.
  8. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    812 sounds great!

Gh21631 likes this.
  9. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    There is a debate that its for EU and APAC only? Not sure what the truth is. Either way its small numbers

10. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Speciale Aperta roof down at 8500 is incredible trust me, musical

My turbos are all like hoovers though agree with that

IloveGT likes this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Beating the same old dead horse. The consensus has been established that when it comes to engine sound, the NA 458 is preferred over the Turbo in the 488 series.

Manda racing, Gh21631 and IloveGT like this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    please fill in the blanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017

Cool video just released on the Pista. Catchpole compares Speciale to Pista a bit, but mainly I enjoyed the gorgeous cinematography and shots of the car

AlfistaPortoghese and Thecadster like this.
  14. Dontbethatguy

Dontbethatguy Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    ATX
    No doubt that it’s hard to beat the sound of a V12 at RPM! I loved my F12 for this reason, but once I bought my 458 spider I rarely wanted to get in the F12. So, I sold it last summer. My 458 spider with the IPE exhaust is nothing short of melodious. I do agree that the V12 takes the win on all-time best sound, but my 458 never disappoints on the sound for me.

I drove both a 458 and 488 before I bought, and I went with the 458 for the sound. I have other cars that are a lot faster, so I wasn’t trying to capture all different aspects in one car. My GT2RS wins when I want all-out speed. That car is a keeper for me, but I’m always more drawn to the 458 spider for all-around fun factor. Great sound, lots of fun to pitch into corners, and ridiculous value. While I watch the Speciale Aperta market regularly, I’ll keep driving the 458 spider because I can rack up the miles and not care. It provides maximum enjoyment every time, and I NEVER get in it and think about keeping miles off of it. I’ve learned to not sweat the miles on anything that I own. If I’m apprehensive to drive it, I won’t buy it. I’m just not built to own museum pieces.

Everyone is different, so figure out what you want/like and go get it!

15. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I have had my Pista for about three weeks now,taken how fast one can hit the rev limiter getting caught-up in the visceral driving.

Thecadster likes this.
  16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I drove the 458 both today and yesterday. Finally got to redline a few times, which isn’t the easiest thing to do. The car is, imho, the perfect amount of fast. You can still rev it out to near 9k and tick through a couple of gears before you’re into triple digits. That’s perfect. I’m sure the Pista is far quicker but I can’t see it being more enjoyable.

17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    And his voice...

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I ignored his voice altogether.....the road he was on did not help either.

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’m surprised I’m going to be the first to say that that’s a super cool color spec, imvho. Love it to death. While Rosso is Ferrari’s color because it’s Italy’s national color in internacional motoring competitions, Giallo is Modena’s color. To some, at least as special as Rosso in Ferrari’s history and heritage.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

ScrappyB likes this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree, although I have not driven the pista yet. I was literally experiencing the same thing today. 200 more horses definitely will be definitely more fun but way more risky to literally lose my license.

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Today I was ripping around a corner at about 85 and out of the corner of my eye I see a groundhog come screaming across the road. Luckily the little bugger scooted across before I hit him. In the Pista I would have been further ahead and crushed him .

22. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    In the pista you would have gone past him before he even got on the road :)

stavura, BCHOW, Gh21631 and 3 others like this.
  23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    this is a good one!

24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo

25. Jo Sta7