Snowbirds crash today | FerrariChat

Snowbirds crash today

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, May 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Tragic fatality. What happened? And I'm afraid it looks like one pilot ejected but chute did not deploy? Some object hit the ground at high speed, afraid it was an occupant, but one survived according to another news outlet. So there must have been a parachute that opened that you cannot see. Perhaps the other never made it out. Sad all around. Happened fast, looks like a stall but why?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52701421

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    To me, that looks like a stall-spin and that is unreal to me because I have always admired the Snowbirds since we were at Abottsford in the '60s. They are an incredible bunch of pilots flying small under powered airplanes and perfectly doing difficult maneuvers with the utmost precision . I was surprised to see that they are still flying the same Avro's that they were flying over 50 years ago. Sorry that one of them didn't survive. Great guys!

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Really nasty departure and not sure what ejection system they are using. Could have been out of the envelope. One chute can be seen opening just above the trees. A real shame for his family and the unit.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Very sad news for the loss of life in this. The lone surviving occupant thankfully has non-life threatening injuries and he is expected to make it.

https://twitter.com/CFSnowbirds

Island Time likes this.
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My mistake, the airplane is a Canadair CT-114 with a 2650 lb thrust Orenda J-85. It's an older design but still pretty good, I guess. It's a trainer and the Canadians Snowbirds have to make up for the lack of power that the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds have by their skill and they do a marvelous job of it by shear flying ability. At the Abbotsford show they did a line abreast roll with 10 airplanes that was absolutely stunning and perfect. Think about the guy at the pivot of the roll near stall and the guy on the end of the line blasting like hell to stay with the guy next him who was doing the same to stay with the guy next to him.... and so on. I got to know the solo guy, Jake Miller ,and I asked him about flying in the formation when he did and if he had to worry about the guy on his right and he replied, " What guy on my right? My job is to stay formed with the guy on my left."

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The way the one aircraft pulled up suddenly leads me to believe that they had an engine problem and tried to gain altitude to assess the situation, but the lack of thrust caused the aircraft to stall. I think the ejections were outside the seats' operational envelope and the one pilot was lucky to survive.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

In the video I saw (not Juan's), you can hear the compressor pop on the trailing plane right after T.O.
    Immediately pulls up, gains altitude... Then stalls.

So yes, engine failure.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Her family, not his.

10. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Reports say engine malfunction. A handful of local pilots are doing a tribute flight at .5 miles separation. I may have to head out to a North Vancouver beach to watch this tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OMG that's terrible. I thought she survived.