Questions about the Mondial as a daily driver | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Questions about the Mondial as a daily driver

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by eskamobob1, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Karting

May 9, 2020
    SoCal
    Haha. I'm just messing around. I wouldnt even be in the market if I actually thought it was terrible.

My father is the same way. Bought a GT500 back in 07 for that 0-60 (hates vetts) and the magic "200 mph". Now he has a model X and just wont ever shut up about the 2.whatever 0-60 while then saying he cant even do it cause it gives him abdominal cramps....... like, whats the point? TBH, that tesla is pretty damn cool, but the 0-60 has absolutely 0 bearing in my assessment of it.

I dont mind at all. I did end up putting in an actual offer for 20k, but not like I expect that to go anywhere. Service records end in 2012 (in which is passed smog, so no bad news on record) and the car has done 900 miles since then. They report that the O just doesnt drive it so he decided to sell. Obviously the interior is kind of rough, and the rust spot above the driverside tail light with only the tiniest low detail undercarriage shots makes me think that isnt the only spot. Tires are also date coded at least 10 years ago. I did get in writing the car runs smooth and idles well with no known leaks, but you know..... Overall the car is guaranteed to need a full 30k service, tires, and probably fuel lines at the bare minimum. Throw that there is some rust in there and im not sure the car is worth much more than the 20 I offered. Then again, given the buyers thread, im not even sure if they will pass on my offer anyways.

As for the dealer...... yikes man. I hadnt actually looked that up. I had assumed the useless undercarriage shots were just an accident, but maybe not from those reviews.

You know, I may be pretty far into conformation bias teritory here (seeing as I have ignored the people telling me they wont make a good daily(ish) car, but this is exactly the kind of review I was hoping to find. I am by no means expecting a trouble free car, but knowing that once one is sorted it can be kept that way is really great

Haha. I dont have a car with AC currently anyways, so whatever I get out of it will just be a bonus. I have seen some threads about people converting to vintage AC systems with some (reported) great sucess in 308 GT4s and one 328, so that may be an option if I realy want it. As for having driven any ferraris, I'm lucky to have had some experience with some newer cars, but yah, I have never driven a Ferrari of this vintage, so I am going in blind a bit. but im not realy sure of any way to remedy that given the current situation and the fact that its not like these things come up for sale commonly in the first place. I will give some thought to the open engine compartment. At least making sire I get a car with the cover in place/source a new one shouldnt be an issue. As for the engine getting wet, is that an issue wit these cars? Honesty, there are so little electrics going on that are actualy exposed I just figured it would make them look not as pretty but not realy effect anything else.

paulchua likes this.
  2. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Hello.
    I'll be happy to add to your confirmation bias. I have had an 85 QV coupe for 6 years and have put about 35,000 kilometers (20,000 mi) on in that time. Most of those miles have come from 1 or 2 long trips a year of 2 to 4,000 kilometers each. It is an absolute peach on those trips. I have driven 10 straight hours without feeling any driver tiredness at all. I have the regular seats which to me fit perfectly for those long drives. But then,I look forward to every drive, long or short.

And I do drive it locally to stores though where I live, you cant really call it big city driving. . And while I dont call it or use it as a daily driver, it easily performs in traffic. A small group of us did a week in northern Italy in our Mondis...talk about traffic...and it was not a problem at all with start and stop and waiting and slow moving. I dont mind the shifting, the clutch is firm but not tiring. There are some things I think make it better in that I have replaced the TRX's with Michelins which makes the handling easier in my opinion and of course gives improved traction in the wet. The biggest problem is parallel parking as without the power steering, you really do have to muscle it from lock to lock. I recently drove a T with power steering and sure it made it easier in that sense, but I strongly prefer the road feel when moving with the non PS in my car. By the way, it was a T cab and I did not have a problem with conversation but we never were driving at interstate speed.

You clearly are a wrench guy, I am not. So I have had mechanics do all the replacement stuff done that is mentioned on this post and site: new fuse box, the relay direct to the starter (imperative and inexpensive), new AC compressor with 134 (blows very cold), all the maintenance stuff you know about, window mechanism cleaned and regreased with a booster put in the driver side, 2nd fan installed (they come standard on 3.2) and radiator recored and never have an overheating problem even with AC in summer.. So all that you can anticipate. I had a new radio put in when I bought it and have probably used it only a couple times. You would need to add better speakers if you really want to drive with it on at speed...especially if you drive at 100 mph. Even with a coupe, there will be road and motor noise with the engine just behind you but hey, that's part of the joy and I dont get beat up by it on the long trips.

Here in france the interstate speed is about 80 mph and I rarely go over it. I mean, it is a 35 year old car and why put that much extra strain on the old motor. At that speed the tach is at about 4500 revs and though there is a long way still to go in the revs, I'm just not that interested in pushing it that much. That said, the motors in these cars are highly dependable and durable.

On a great road at high speed, it is absolutely stable. There is no wind affect on it at all even when passing trucks or on viaducts. You are just glued to the road and you know about its great handling characteristics on winding roads where it is a joy. After all, these cars were designed to be family friendly grand tourers to get their clientele from one place in Europe to another, through small villages and big towns, in comfort and style at speed, and it does that magnificently. It is not a "sports car" for boy racers, which is why I prefer it (especially since I'm an old boy)..

Given your clarification about your daily driving needs with it mostly not standing in traffic and 4 long trips a year, I think you will find it very usable as long as you dont mind the mileage going up and ensuring the regular maintenance is done. My biggest concern for you would be the street parking and exposure to the elements. The paint on our Mondi's is not the best (never pressure wash), not a concern when garaged all the time. But the affects of sitting in the sun and elements might degrade it. A good constant waxing and car cover would be necassry. I also think the battery cover would be imperative. I dont have one and do worry a bit when it sits overnight in rain but it has never been a problem. I dont worry about the motor getting wet. If you drive in the rain, its going to get wet anyway and if you have the electronics in good shape, should not have to worry. I guess that means a really good car cover that allows it to breathe but yet keeps the moisture off.

And as you have said, if it does not work for you, you can sell it on and chalk up the experience. But it will be hard to not enjoy the experience of driving it and that's how we all feel about our Mondials. I am admittedly and happily biased.

In my opinion, given your intended use, the 3.2 would likely be better for you. It has a bit more power and other enhancements/refinements. With that, as stated in one of the earlier posts, I do prefer the original Pininfarina design with the black bumpers but that's a taste thing. Too bad you are not in Europe, there are lots of coupes available here though except for Swiss versions, all with no cats.

Good luck to you in your search and decision.
    Gerald

ellum, eskamobob1 and paulchua like this.
  3. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is the oil capacity and the time it takes to get the engine up to temp. I have an air-cooled 911 that I use regularly -- it's as reliable as my wife's Toyota. But it's not really suitable for short drives because it takes abut 5 miles of driving to get the 11 or so quarts of oil up to temp. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mondials and 308's also have a dry sump system, no? And so I would think that the key to longevity would also be avoiding the kind of short drives that are usually part of 'daily driver' use.

paulchua and eskamobob1 like this.
  4. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    #54 donkost, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    One additional thing to add, if you would be doing your own wrenching. The Cab (QV / 3.2) has a removable access panel in the interior where you can access the right side cylinder bank, looking from the front of the engine. I have never had a need to remove mine since taking possession of the car two years ago. But it seems there are times it could come in handy. The Coupe doesn't have this access panel on the rear shelf.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  5. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I just changed all 8 plugs on my 87 cab. That panel comes in VERY handy!

eskamobob1 and donkost like this.
  6. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    The 308/328 engines are wet sump engines.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    It takes about 20-25 minutes of driving to get my engine and gear box up to temperature.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

eskamobob1 likes this.
  8. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Gerald is right on the money. I’ve driven about 25k miles in my Mondi. I have driven it to work multiple times on nice days. I’ve driven it to the beach 3 hours away. I’ve driven it through cities. It’s been great. The top is way too much effort to deal with during inclement weather. So on nice days, it’s fun all the time, but does take some time to warm up. I routinely do the 1st to 3rd shifting thing in the morning out of the house. The A/C is fair to poor at best and with the radiator up front and the engine behind, the cabin is not that pleasant on hot days. It’s extremely dependable once sorted. I have spent a ton to keep her running pristine, money well spent. I’ve broken down twice in 12 years, both times early on, and went into a limp mode once. The clutch and more specifically the slave do need replacing. But the engine is quite bulletproof. I think the Mondi is a true hidden gem amongst its brethren.

godabitibi, eskamobob1 and ronfrohock like this.
  9. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Just from the photos it also looks like new door sills and brake rotors, neither particularly problematic in themselves, but possibly indicative of other things. For example, when was the brake fluid flushed last, and what is the condition of the hydraulic system overall? And four new TRX tires aren't cheap.

General comment: it's a shame these things all seem to end up in the hands of dealers. I'm sure if you politely pointed out all of the things that had to be done to sort out the car and how much it would cost, and made a reasonable offer based on that, they would just rather sell the car the unsuspecting customer who wants to drive way with a cheap Ferrari.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  10. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I love this!!! So good.... thanks for putting it out there Paul.

Also.... I'm getting closer to be able to pick up my 83 QV from service! Finally some progress. COVID played havoc with getting some parts, and the shop repairing the gas tanks (we had to pull them bc of leak) only recently reopened. But I am hoping to have this beauty and be driving it in the next few weeks!!!

eskamobob1 and paulchua like this.
  11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I previously owned a '84 QV Cabriolet and currently own a '83 QV coupe. My experience is this -

A) Wind noise in the cab is substantial and talking at speed requires a bit of a raised voice. Ferrari's have loud engines compared to a lot of cars and the wind noise adds to it. But for me this was an intoxicating combo.

B) I agree with Paul Chua here. Prone to small leaks but I think if you devoted time and money to it you could probably get it tight.

C) Mechanically I think any of the Mondial models are robust enough to handle daily driving and traffic conditions. Some people will complain about the lack of power steering but if you're used to driving older cars you'll be fine.

D) A lot of the A/C's in these cars are dead by now. When they're working or restored I think they're fine. Some people feel they don't blow directly on the driver. I've never cared that much. Also there are so many third party upgraded AC options now that can be put into these cars, it's really just another issue of spending the time and money to fix it.

E) All the engines are tough and my cab was bulletproof. I think the idea that Ferrari's "like to be driven" and behave better when they get regular exercise is true.

I owned my cabriolet in a sunny coastal California town, where it was perfect. I rarely had to put up the top. The soft top on the Cab really is a pain in the butt to put up and down. You have to think about it and fold it correctly. Putting it up by yourself is a big hassle. Contrast that to the Fiat 2000 Spyder I drove as my daily - you could flip the top down from inside the car with one hand...while driving!

The Mondial coupe will obviously be much better at keeping you dry. Based on those things, you might want to consider the coupe.

eskamobob1 and paulchua like this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #62 paulchua, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Thank you @Matthew 6:19 - I appreciate your kind words. I hope that you are back on the road soon. The Mondial is a gem, that is only truly known by the lucky few. Make sure you check out John Pogson's review of his Mondial QV

But what does he know?

He's only a 6 time British Ferrari Champion.

(I only listen to 7-time Champions, none of this 6-time winner nonsense. pfht.)

eskamobob1 likes this.
  13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just one quick additional note on whether or not the Mondial can be a good daily driver. My answer is absolutely but I think this really is a very subjective question. The answer entirely depends on what your expectations are.

Back in the 80's a friend of my Dad's daily drove a Daytona Spyder. Sitting in traffic, stop and go traffic, parking lots, parallel parking, the whole deal. Put a ton of miles on it. Real miles, not "Ferrari miles". Parked it with the top down all over the place. He did this for years, and even at the time it was a $150k car....or about $425k today with inflation. Values aside, most people will tell you that Daytona's steer like WWII trucks, so heavy in feel they make the heavy clutch seem light. As a result they'll tell you that they are really only usable as long distance touring cars on long, straight, open roads, and that anything else is a misery. But to my Dad's friend, it was a perfect daily driver, because he loved driving it. He had other cars, but he loved the Daytona, so the "issues" were just quirks to him that he learned how to work around, while they would have been prohibitive to others.

The Mondial was a brand new car while he was doing this, and was (and is) much more "driveable" than the Daytona. So it really just depends on what you're used to, I think. If all you drive is cars with auto everything then the Mondial will feel foreign and possibly inconvenient. If you are used to older cars, or are the type who can adjust your driving and expectations of modern convenience to the cars needs and limitations, then I think it's a perfect daily car. I intend to daily drive my QV when we land back on the west coast, even though I have BMW X1 that is only a few years old and technically a much easier car to drive.

eskamobob1, Matthew 6:19 and paulchua like this.
  14. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    This is great, it's been quite the education. I am relatively new here , but here's my 2 cents. I have owned my 82 Mondial 8 Coupe for about 4 years and have put about 6000 miles on it. Definitely not daily driver. My other cars are 1976 911s, 1957 MB 190Sl, 1991 Figaro, and 2015 Volvo v70 R-Design. I am also on the east coast.

1) No Power Steering - This is really only a problem if you do a lot parallel parking. This wouldn't be a good NYC car.
    2) The coupe is rather quiet with the windows up. Not like my new volvo but very reasonable to have a conversation. I wouldn't recommend opening the sunroof though, a little dodgy and chances are you won't get it closed...I pulled the switch. There are much more coupes if you go older.
    3) The windows are SLOW - putting down the windows everytime gets tiring. If you get one, upgrade the window motor mechanism, it is a common complaint.
    4) Rain - the biggest issue I would see is the wipers are SUPER slow. I have had to drive in the rain and they go quite slow. I rarely drive in the rain, but if I was going DD, this would be on my short list to update.
    5) AC - mine worked the day I bought it, and then didn't like a week later. It stays dead. :( However, it is a rare day that it is too hot in my neck of the woods.
    6) The engine has been running great. I am doing my first belt replacement. So far so good. One reason I liked the 8 was the design but I also liked not having to take the engine out for this.
    7) Driving experience - I was really quite pleased on the driving experience and the quality of the build. For a 1982, it is really quite remarkable. It isn't "chuckable" like the 911s, but it is a much nicer drive...more civilized so an upgrade to the go cart without disconnecting you like a new car.
    8) Engine Note I haven't found any problem, my longest ride was 4 hours driving the 2 hour drive from the hamptons. Sitting in stop and go traffic on a 100F day was not fun. Hose exploded on the George Washington Bridge was even less fun. The repair however wasn't bad.
    9) Reliability - Its been pretty reliable given the age and the fact that I didn't do a overall replacement of older parts that needed seeing to. The hoses needed doing and I procrastinated. The only other repair was the clutch slave cylinder which was a REALLY easy job. That's it so far other than maintenance. I do all my own repairs on all my cars, its doable, don't let it scare you. Its just an engine... Plus there are resources to fix it here and on the web.
    10) About ferraris - what I have learned is ferrari doesn't think about the how the car is going to be repaired. I am astonished how often I am taking off a part and I think to myself how the hell do they get a wrench in there? It is MUCH worse than the Mercedes and the Porsche. That said, the 1982 engine reminds me of my 1976 Porsche 2.7 engine regarding the bosch injection.
    11) Go for it - if it doesn't work out, who cares, you had fun anyway. It isn't your only car so if you are laid up for a little while you have other options.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  15. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Karting

May 9, 2020
    SoCal
    thank you for making such a detailed post! The AC news is real nice to hear. I plan on putting AC in my beetle come summer so I may redo the compressor (assuming I have found one by then) at the same time. As for the parallel parking, I kinda feel like that has to be a given with this era. Hopefully it is still possible and just heavy to do it as opposed to flat out not possible like it was in my old F100. As for the mileage, it doesn't matter to me at all! I plan on buying a car with higher miles anyways where they play less of a role in value. It is real nice to hear it does well at cruising though. I have owned a number of cars from the mid 70's through the late 80s that seemed like they would be great highway cruisers, but get sketchy as hell as soon as you pass 80 mph. I think my only real concern with the pracicality of the car at this point, is (prepare yourself for some sacrilege) I am 100% going to add cup holders. From pictures on line I cant figure out where to do that to be completely reversible, but im sure I'll fin

As for the protection while street parking..... I have heard of the issues with thin pant until the late mid 90s. I have been playing with the idea of getting it wrapped actually to help protect that (be it a whole car clear bra or changing the color im not sure how well the old paint takes that). The car cover would be a given when parked at home, but I also want to look into windscreen covers for while Im out. I do agree with your assesment of the styling btw. It seems like I will be just fine with either a QV or a 3.2. I think which one I go with is pretty largely going to depend on what comes on teh market tbh.

They are wet sump, but you do make a good point about getting them warmed up. Its like 40L of total fluids to warm up in a QV. That wasnt something I had considered. I will keep that in mind

I realy dont get why every one car didnt have an access panel...... I will keep that in mind, but ultimately im not sure that benefit out weighs the other benefits of a coupe for me.

TYVM for the input. Im not exactly expecting much from the ac, but it is nice to know this general powerplat should be fine if I treat it well.

O got back to me asking 30. With blatant rust and figuring it need every serviceable item there is, there is no way it is worth that. I mean hell, just the maintenance alone will probably be 8-10k of parts. And I agree. I get the appeal of using a consignment shop, but every one I have ever dealt with felt scummy as hell.

Haha. I have had the same problem with my project car. The only shop that makes the part I need is closed until their provence opens back up so I cant do the next job that needs to be done. Luckily it is running currently. I just have an inner door pannel off of it for now.

A) Duely noted. I dont expect it to be an issue most of the time, but on road trips obviously being able to hear an audio book or the like over the radio is quite nice.
    B) Good to hear there is some consensus on this.
    C) haha. I dont even have a car with PS currently. That said, I think my heaviest car is currently is still sub 2000lbs, so I will just have to see what I think when I drive one. Ultimately Im not worried about PS for anything other than parking
    D) This is some good info. If I have issues with the AC in the car i end up with I have also been recommended to a shop in my area that seems to have a great reputation with classic Fcars.
    E) I find this to be true with anything with carbs or PFI. I think the DFI allowed us a lot better "let-er-sit-ability". I make sure to drive my cars at least once a week, so that shouldnt be a big issue.

Haha on the top. I have a miata I bought to learn track work. It is the first car I have veer regularly used the convertable on because I can put it up and down in 3-4s so long as im under 20 mph. There realy is something to be said about light weight manual tops.

Funnily enough, that set of videos is actualy what even introduced me to the 308 GT4. I had known about mondis for a while before that, but the 308 GT4 was completely new to me. Who knows, maybe Ill get real lucky and find a good GT4 instead of a mondi ;)

You make a real good point about what one is willing to put up with. I currently drive a stock 74 beetle as my daily, so its pretty clear I put up with a fair bit. I think the only two things I am worried about is just how heavy the steering is while stopped and just how heavy the clutch is. Nothing else so far has stood out to me as something that would be an issue.

1) Very fair. I dont realy plan to use this "in teh city" much, so hopefully wont be an issue.
    2) That is great to hear! As for the sunroof, that I what I have heard. Damn shame too as I really do love a good sunroof in a coupe. Maybe Ill have to add a factory refresh of it to my list
    3) I wasnt aware they even made upgraded motors. I thought you just kind had to deal with it for refit bran new window trim. Thats some good info to have.
    4) Im not sure why I didnt think to ask this. Its actyualy a problem I had with my bug as well. Do they make an upgraded wiper motor? I dont mind at all fabricating an adapter if needed, but off the shelf is always nicer. Also, curious question, do mondis have intermittent wipers?
    5) Haha. I have heard the woes of italian AC. But then again I have also heard the woes of how unreliable old ferraris are and y'all see to be having a good time. So while I wont bet on it, fingers crossed its fine.
    6) That is certainly a major downside of the T. I doubt I will go with a T at this point anyways, but yah. Engine outs are rarely fun even if you are doing then to add power.
    7) Thats good to hear. I really liked my SC, but there is certainly some issues with it on long trips. Plus I never actualy had a chance to take advantage of the handling benefits without massively braking the law anyways
    8) Thats good to hear. I know certain exhausts realy leave a horrid drone at specific speeds. My SC had an aftermarket exhaust that caused that drone at 75mph......
    9) I'm actualy realy motivated by the amount of info I have found for working on these cars here. That was an intial worry for me, but im pretty confidant now. plus I do have pretty solid experience with a large number of cars doing everythign asside from an engine teardown.
    10) Hahahahaha. Reminds me of 90s ford rangers. "well it fits" was about all the designers thought about.
    11) I am going to! I just have to keep an eye on teh market to see what pops up. If I dont see anything enw in the next month or two Ill post a wanted thread, but if I am being honest, I dont want to pay what a well maintained car liek members here will have is worth, so im kinda trying to avoid that.

davemqv likes this.
  16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Compared to other manual steering cars I've driven, I don't think the Mondial is that heavy. I remember thinking at the time it was about the same as the Fiat, although I'd guess the Fiat was a lighter car.

I have the OEM Michelin TRX tires on my car, but I'm told you can lessen the weight of the power steering by converting to non-metric wheels and tires. Apparently it can give you access to tires with better grip as well (although the TRX always seem fine to me).

paulchua likes this.
  17. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Just a brief follow up to your concern here. I wouldn't overthink this. We are being as open and honest as we can to give you information about the niggly-est things given your intended usage. The clutch heft is really a non issue, not really a big deal at all given your driving experience though a long way away from a beetle for sure. You'll be paying far more attention to shifting in the H gate. It's not something you can speed shift through. It's more like a two step process, out of one gear into neutral, then click into the next gear. As far as parallel parking, I do it regularly here in Europe with spaces far smaller than in the US. Changing out of TRXs helped but you just go for it and it gets done. As with all non PS cars, once they are moving even slightly, it gets easier.

Regarding the window speed, the problem is rarely the motor itself but the hardened grease on the cable and drive mechanism. There are several threads here (including one I posted) on cleaning them. My passenger one worked great, the driver side better but still not so fast. So I bought the booster available from Superformance and installed that and both now work just fine. The same problem affects the sun roof. I've not cleaned it and only open it when the car has been sitting in the sun and the grease has softened a bit and then I help it with my hand. But like I said, my AC blows cold so if it is really hot, I drive buttoned up anyway.

paulchua and davemqv like this.
  18. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Karting

May 9, 2020
    SoCal
    Huh. Thats a little interesting on the steering weight. I wonder if non metric changes your scrub radius. I wouldn't think they would make replacements with a different offset, but who knows.

Haha. Yah. I can push the bug clutch with 2 fingers and even still almost all the weight that is there is just from the friction of the cable in the tube anyways. Not expecting that light at all. Yhis will be the first gated car I have ever owned so I'm pretty stoked about that. My only experience in a gated car thus far is a 360 i drove basically entirely in 1st sitting in traffic so I didn't get to play with it much. And maybe you just notice it more when it non-PS cars, but damn do I feel like I'm cranking the wheel while stopped a lot, and I have litteraly never dailyed a car with it. Need to get in a better habit than that.

As for the windows, that makes sense. I have cleaned mechanisms on lots of 80s and 70s cars so I can do that and then add a booster if I realy think it is an issue. As for the AC, it is nice to know there are at least some systems that work well out there

paulchua likes this.
  19. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I made a lowball offer (22K) but added a comment that I'd be willing to negotiate if they could establish that there was no significant corrosion. I figured they'd get back to me and tell me that there's only some surface rust, maybe with a selective photo or two where things didn't look too bad, then with a 30K counter offer. instead I got no reply. That suggests to me that the rust is really serious. Or they're happy just to collect storage fees and have a Ferrari in their showroom.

20. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Karting

May 9, 2020
    SoCal
    Haha. I got a 30k counter but it took them over a week to get back to me

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Insert 400i 5-speed here. ;)