Maserati Khamsin | Page 328 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Did you try Campana? Do make sure the exit end of the headers connect right with the main parts of the exhaust. That part should be identical on Euro and US cars but might not be. I did not have the chance to convert the headers on mine back then so don't know first hand but others here will know.

boralogist likes this.
  2. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Buon giorno tutti,
    Does anyone have a worn out/broken/inoperative Khamsin fuel pump for sale? I can fix the old one for my friend's K, if I can get my hands on the inner brush springs from another identical fuel pump. MIE is looking in their pile of used stuff, but I'll ask here in case you all have something laying around.

My electric repair shop can fix it, but they just spent hours trying to source replacement springs, and can't locate any.

Grazie,
    - Art
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  4. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Interesting car !!! Given that it is being represented as a prototype, I am surprised to see
    the slats in the nose... Perhaps that was done later... I wonder if the center console is original
    with the 3 gauges in the lower portion...

Interesting post!

Mike (120US1120)

MK1044 likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for posting.

The factory never stated there were five or six prototypes: pure invention (cf about Coys's ethic further down). This car AM120-012 was for a long time in south Africa. What is interesting is that it has the second bodyshell (autovettura) number: the lower plaque show 25002, 25000 is the Turin show car so that means AM120-002 the crash test prototype was a subsequent body number. It has no carrozzeria number though but often in the early cars nomenclature is vague like AM120-0008 which has one more zero. Here if you look at the chassis number one zero was struck off by order of South African authorities so it would be consistent. I got these photos from when it was auctioned in South Africa 2 years ago.

This car has inner door panels that are different as well as dashboard differences, not to mention the seats though these may well have been redone at some point, to how they were or differently. The vented nose was clearly added at some point in later years. Note also the plaque that shows it went to Germany initially.

Finally this car is or was offered by Coys...who have, just a few weeks ago been placed under administration. They developed a terrible reputation through the years -their director was led away in handcuffs at a German auction- and caution should be exercised when dealing with them if this offer is current.

Oh and the Lucciano Benetton myth is totally wrong: I called the Benetton world headquarters a few years ago (in treviso I think it was), got the P.A. of Lucciano Benetton on the phone and when she was satisfied about why I was calling she said he never had a Maserati and does not drive, gets chauffeured.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Nice to see what they did to that number on #(0)012.:)

But I thought the conclusion was that the numbers of 008/0008 are in line with (probably) all early EURO cars? See posts #8068/8069. They have an extra zero on the red chassis plate but not on the chassis.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC, analyzing chaos can unsettle your sanity:D I would not pay attention to the stamping inconsistencies in the earliest K's. Once they got going it is all consistent. I am however curious what the bodyshell number was for 002 the white longer tailed crash test car...will ask Fabio next time I email him. One anecdote; I was inspecting a Sebring in a Lyon auction (Aguttes) about 5, 6 years ago, it had its chassis plate but I could not find the stamped chassis number on the chassis....after looking everywhere for a long time with the auction people and becoming frustrated I called Giuseppe Candini, he told me where to look but nothing (and it was not painted over as happens). I asked him if they sometimes forgot to stamp it and he answered "Tante volte!" Many times.

8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    On my car #090/0090 it is the same as on #008/0008. An extra zero on the red chassis plate but not on the chassis.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Interesting, I think it depended on who was stamping.

MK1044 likes this.
  10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    or before or after lunch!

11. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes both options are possible :)
    Or this was the normal procedure for the early (let´s say the first 100) EURO production cars.
    But I agree, we need more evidence to draw a conclusion like that.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Exactly or whether Antonio had an argument with wife Francesca at breakfast or lunch:)!

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes we are not dealing with Japanese or German cars, the charm of Italy is full of variables and unpredictable riddles:)

14. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Do we know how many black on black Ks were made?
    TIA

15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    PS...both pre and post lunch!

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    We do not, there can't be many, rare color combination...404 is one.

boralogist likes this.
  17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    In that era there was also the very Real Political situation in Italy. Modena/Bologna area were at the center of the Communist Party in Italy, and building cars for the Bourgeois, Capitalist Pigs didn’t always go over well with the union workers.

Note: as late as the mid 90s, the Water Towers in front of the factory were spray painted with the Hammer and Sickle. The building across the street from the Canal Grande Hotel where DeTomaso lived was painted with Anti Capitalist graffiti.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Funniest photo from that socio economical bizarre clash was a photoshoot I saw of the Boomerang in the factory courtyard with a glamorous model...all the art of living of Italy...but the then new bridge over the railroadtracls could be seen in the background and in some of the photos you could also see a banner atop it: vota communista: quite a jarring contrast!:)

19. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
  20. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8196 Nembo1777, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Discussed extensively recently, thanks,new to Sultan of Brunei, search 333 it's chassis number and DD classics in this thread.

johnei likes this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8197 Nembo1777, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    This is 1144 years ago, I used to see it in 2007 when I spent spring in Paris, it has found a great owner, had the bumpers corrected and the right wheels on it now. US model sold new in Spain, like a handful of other US versions sold new in Europe (with kph Speedo) such as 1134 and 1168.

1144 in 2007 and ten years later at Chantilly:) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

33guana, MK1044 and boralogist like this.
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8199 Nembo1777, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Yes thanks for posting, it is a beautiful story as befits a romance about a beautiful lady and her suitor, like a seventies movie. that article recounts the story well, almost all of it. What it does miss is that Ed Waterman from Motorcar gallery in Fort lauderdale bought it in August 2012 during one of his annual trips to California for Monterey, having somehow found out about it being acquirable. What he found however is a car that had been sabotaged: the seats had been cut with a razor and a lot of the electrical wires had been cut too. This was not random vandalism but more a personal revenge, perhaps a staff member from the household or a later boyfriend of the lady that felt slighted. Anyway I saw the car in Fort Lauderdale in April 2013 and despite the less than 8000 miles it was sad to see this damage: my photos of that day.

It was therefore great news when it was bought by the right type of client who had it entirely restored by a very competent shop, McCabe's near Chicago. It was not simple to deal with the damage dome because they had to be sure they found every damage point but they very much did. I spoke with Skip McCabe for a long time on the phone earlier this year, his shop is little known as he prefers it that way but he has worked on a lot of Maserati GT cars as well as the finest Maserati historic racers for the top collections in the US, a very unassuming competent man and so it is no surprise that the car won best of show at that event. Well done to the owner and McCabe's!

The last photo is at the show, the 2017 Cobble Beach concours in Canada just north of the US border, collecting its best of show award.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Could the gold car at Classic Team West be #1264?
    Looks like it has the same steering wheel and mirrors.

They say on Facebook that the gold car is the second Khamsin they have done ("der zweite Maserati Khamsin hat unsere Werkstatt verlassen....."). The red Khamsin in their pictures is probably another car (other mirrors, steering wheel).