Wanted - Building a Track Car, looking for an older mid engine chassis/car | FerrariChat

Wanted Building a Track Car, looking for an older mid engine chassis/car

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by darkostoj, May 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Hey guys!

I am looking for something mid engine, 308, 348, Testarossa, etc (I would consider another make as well). The car will be stripped and all I will use is the chassis & body panels for the most part. Didn't want to buy a complete car if I didn't have to. Did not want a salvage body either. Something in rough shape, or with damage is preferable. Thanks!

2. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I'm selling a Porsche 986 Boxster S with "all the right parts" already on it. I built it last winter, and then the track was closed all spring, and then I bought an F430 and I'm struggling rationalizing BOTH cars here..... haha.
    NEW Ohlins coilovers, NEW FVD LCA's, NEW Tarret bars, etc etc etc etc. Spare wheels, you name it. IF they're parts you'd buy anyway, this would put you MILES ahead.

3. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Thanks for the offer, but was looking for a coupe. I have a Audi R8 LMS GT4 drivetrain I was going to use as the power plant and I had considered a Cayman, but I'm not sure if it will fit.

4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What area are you in? I have a buddy with a 348 he may be interested in selling in the Sacramento area.

5. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    I am in Detroit, but OK with shipping.

6. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Let me check w/ him. I'll connect you if he's open. It's kind of a beater, i think what you're looking for

7. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Yes, that's perfect. I also have a set of original Speedline wheels for the 348 chassis that would fit nicely.

8. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have the perfect car for you. Provided you are willing to start with a clean completely stripped car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=344364

I know of one impressive Cayenne turbo engine going into a similar chassis so yours should fit

PS: That is my car. I am soloracer on that forum. Let me know if the pictures don’t open for you and I will send them to your email

9. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Go fast inexpensively and reliably. Get a Corvette

LARRYH likes this.
  10. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    I mean, that is a terrible idea.

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Please make a build thread somewhere when you start this project!

12. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Why not just buy a older audi r8 like a 2008 with some miles they can be had pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

13. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Although few tend to admit it. A lot of F,P,M etc drivers have a C car to daily drive and pound on cheaply and reliably.

14. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    The last race car I built was a 1977 Rolls Royce Silver shadow with a Viper V10 Drivetrain. I'm trying to find a combination that would be more fun than that one...but it's surprisingly difficult finding a candidate.

www.instagram.com/rollsroycedoesntcare

I completely agree, and think the Corvette is an absolutely fantastic car. However, I don't think a random "Buy a corvette!" out of left field applies to the current topic of discussion.

Auraraptor likes this.
  15. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    Sweet, do you know Corbin that had the other Rolls that was on Smoking Tire?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

16. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Dame thats pretty cool I had a couple vipers there like missiles.i like your work I'm definitely watching this would love to see you build something.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Good luck on your hunt. I would recommend looking for a flooded car out of a yard....

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You are a mad scientist. What happened to the rolls? Still track it? An R8 GT4 drive train is pretty special. What kind of shape is that in? I would put it in a donor R8 and race it. Could you stick in in something like an El Camino and have the motor sitting in the ElCo's bed and turn the front into a trunk? That would be nuts. Or remember the Ranault R5 turbo was a midengine box car. What about doing an R8GT4 mid-engine chevy tahoe or caddy escalade. Put that sucker right in the back seats!

19. Craig R

Craig R Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Austin, Texas
    Sell me that crazy Rolls, haha!

20. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Well..I own a yard so I've also been waiting for one to come up on auction www.instagram.com/pacificmotorsdetroit

I'm currently swapping in a supercharger and getting it ready to run unlimited class for grid life June 5/6 @ Gingerman Raceway

One of the ideas was buying an old Ford courier pickup and mounting the engine in the bed & running the electric stuff up front.

After all the time and money that went into the thing. I don't even know what it would be worth!

Auraraptor likes this.
  21. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira