430 - Scud question | FerrariChat

430 Scud question

Discussion in '360/430' started by drbob101, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Hi.

I went to look at a scud for sale yesterday and it’s a near perfect car. Under 5000 miles and looks legit.

In inspecting underneath , I noted that there is overspray on the panels from the cars paint? I thought it was indicative of damage repair and poor masking except it’s on both sides.

Dealer says they have another scud that has the same thing.

Is this the way it is from the factory on 430 or scuds in particular? I find it really odd that the factory would release a car like this.

thanks for looking
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've never seen that. But, when you PPI the car and he states its an issue (or not) than you'll know.... Good luck with your search.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I’ve had a few F cars now (not a 430 to be fair), and I’ve never seen anything like that under the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  4. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I just looked at pics of the underside of my 2009 F430 on a lift and it doesn't look like that, just dirty and muddy underneath (I'm embarrassed so I won't post a pic until I wash the undercarriage).

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I have a 05' F430. My whole underbody except the covers and plates are painted the same as the car......Rossa Corsa. It doesn't look like overspray like the OP. It's painted solid....maybe due to it being the 1st year of production?

6. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I'd be shocked if that isn't overspray......

24000rpm likes this.
  7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Mine is a 2009 430 Scuderia, I just went and took a look: The underside is the same as body color, red, covered in a nice thin layer of dirt. It is even, and covers the entire underside, not just certain areas, so doesn't appear like overspray. The only areas not painted are where the black plastic undertrays cover. So it looks similar to what is pictured. Now I probably should get it on a lift and wash it ;)

Flea7 likes this.
  8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    BTW, when looking at 430 Scuderias, be aware that Ferrari did not prep the door jams, engine lid or trunk lids properly before painting the black trim paint. They should have sanded or etched it first, but they did not. So it is common to see it flaking in these areas. Some were fixed while under warranty and the trim was completely repainted. Many will have touched up trim, done by owners, detail shops, or selling dealers.

Flea7 likes this.
  9. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Thanks Hugh for that. This car is so legit looking that my gut says the overspray is just poor QC from the factory or dealer fix. I don’t see how this car required repair on both sides from damage.

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Great time to be buying right now. Good luck with finding the right car.

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i'd bet $10,000 that it is overspray. poor masking.

but it may not be indicative of damage or collision. These rocker got chips easily and sometimes turns ugly, so people spray them.

Flea7 likes this.
  12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Disagree (I want $10,000 ;) ). Based on my observation of one car, mine, it may be overspray, but from the factory painting process. My entire underside appears to have this red paint....if it was truly from poor masking from a body shop, then why is there no overspray on the black undertrays and fasteners? Would a body shop that is "poor" go to so much trouble to mask (or remove) all the undertrays and fasteners first? If they were truly that lazy, it would be on a lot more areas that just the body underside metal.

360+Volt=Prius likes this.
  13. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I tend to agree with this. The car is meticulous , ultra low mileage etc. I think it’s poor QC from the factory or dealer prep

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so, do I just lose ten thousand hong kong dollars?

If it was coming from the factory, it means the rocker was actually painted after it was installed?

15. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #15 redcaruser, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    I think that's the factory standard. A few years ago I have subjected my Scuderia to a complete cosmetic treatment (repair of stone chips). It was exciting to see how a Scuderia looks like when the beautifully painted parts were removed. Just terrible! You will find all shades of color, with fine atomised spray distributed everywhere. As Jeremy Clarkson so appropriately said regarding the Scuderia built quality: "the car looks like it was assembled by monkeys".

All I can say is, "whatever, this thing has to work, and it works sensational!"

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The rockers are painted off the car....so all that other paint on the underside was applied at the same time the rest of the body is being painted. The the rockers are bolted on. Note on 430 Scuderias, some got CF rockers as a $$$ factory option. An acquaintance in the local FCA has them on his Scuderia and another on his 16M.

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick