360 - 360/430 Spider Hardtop | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 360/430 Spider Hardtop

Discussion in '360/430' started by EastMemphis, May 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    I’m a relatively new owner, picked my 360 up in January. I keep the top down all the time, but just saw your response. What’s the risk of keeping the top down most of the time while in the garage? Is it recommended to always park it in the up position?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I designed the hardtop to be installed or removed in about a minute. It breaks down into two halves so that it's easy to transport, store, install and remove.

3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hardtop looks impressive. Can the top be stored in the car? Had a "bikini" car cover for my prior 355 spider. Very convenient for quick protection.
    Regarding top down. Perhaps I am the exception but my 360 spider top is down for a week at a time. Never had an issue with operation. Once up, tight and secure.

4. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Please take no offense, and I do admire the ingenuity, but I think it makes the lines of the car look very odd. It looks like a different car, particularly from the side.

NoKidsNeedFerrari likes this.
  5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The object of the hardtop was to enclose the absolute least amount of area possible. The lines are delineated by the windows, windshield frame and roll bars. Of course, I could have taken a completely different tact and tried to make it look like a Modena. That would have taken twice the area, three times the weight and would have ended up looking way silly. I might have tried to emulate the soft top with the sails out the back. Personally, I find the soft top ugly and ungainly so I skipped that avenue.

The ultimate aim is to eliminate the capote system completely and leave the space currently being occupied by that mechanical marvel as a storage area that can be popped out with a couple of quick bolts for easy access to the top of the engine. Removing the capote mechanism may shave off 250 lbs. from the car, or like adding 40 HP. If you notice, the hardtop doesn't cover the rear capote cover at all. That's why.

To me, the design is very satisfying. But everyone has their own opinion.

hessank likes this.
  6. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Interesting. I assumed this was to be a temporary hard top solution, for winter driving and such. But you are actually planning this to be permanent conversion from spider to removable hardtop coupe?

7. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Weight savings by removing the soft top and all components / mechanisms is really compelling... tuning in for future updates, pricing, etc. Cool project!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Could not agree more saudio. The top would look just right on the "Alligator car". I know, snarky, but it that thing just does not look right.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  9. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Another observation, nominally an F430 spider is 110 pounds heaver than a coupe. If the soft top and mechanism weigh 250 pounds, and the hard top that replaces it weighs 40 pounds, the final weight of a spider-to-hard-top conversion would be 100 pounds less than a coupe.

10. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In a 360, the spider is 135 pounds more than a coupe. So the net weight difference between the hard top conversion with soft top removal and a coupe would be 75 pounds. That is assuming the soft top mechanism is the same weight in a 430 and 360.

11. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1
    With the canvas top up the car idoes not have a nice side or rear view.
    However, I bought it for the look and feel when the top is down.

This hardtop looks much better than the canvas. Plus it most likely won't leak in the rain ;)
    So rock on brother!

Blackfspider likes this.
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, and naturally, entirely reversible.

13. 0phantom0

0phantom0 Rookie

Feb 14, 2016
    Looks like fine worksmanship but I don't really like the lines. I guess I'm expecting the coupe lines and it looks off.

14. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    saudio said:
    Interesting. I assumed this was to be a temporary hard top solution, for winter driving and such. But you are actually planning this to be permanent conversion from spider to removable hardtop coupe?

That's a costly job to remove and re-install.
    I was thinking it would be nice to have the same option as the Mercedes SL crowd with both tops.
    Not my cup of tea then. I'm out.

15. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If I'm not mistaken, you would have both tops unless you opt to remove the soft top mechanism for weight savings.

EastMemphis likes this.
  16. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    Wow, nice work! I would have considered buying a gated spider had i known this was coming! Looks great, and love the hard top option. Great job!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EastMemphis likes this.
  17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

how much if I want to buy one?

18. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'll have a better idea after I produce the first lot of six.

Todd Laing and 24000rpm like this.
  19. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Looks great! You should produce them in CF too! Help lower the weight.

Todd Laing and EastMemphis like this.
  20. Todd Laing

Todd Laing Karting

Jun 15, 2020
    Mena Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Todd Laing
    Very interested as well!

21. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    An update on the hardtop project...

It's taken me a lot longer than I thought it would to complete this project. The hardest part has been the edges, trim and interfaces with the car. Progress is being made every day with this project being my primary pursuit. Right now, I am very close to making the mold and am in the last stages of finishing up the trim pieces.

My current estimate is to have the mold finishing within three months and the first production representative prototype available before year end.

“The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”

22. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Phenomenal creation!

EastMemphis likes this.
  23. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    @EastMemphis apologies if I missed it, I read through the whole thread, is the plan that you will be able to stow this maybe in the frunk and take with?

Otherwise if you leave with it off, you'd have to be assured of dry weather?

Thank you

24. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The ultimate goal is to produce a unit that can be stowed in the frunk. Three versions are planned:

1. Two piece, non-folding. This unit will come in two halves that are easy to install but stowed off the car.
    2. A T-Top version with a semi-permanent (no modifications to the car required) rear dock and two top panels that can easily be removed and stowed in the car.
    3. A completely portable version with two sides that fold in the middle and can be stowed on board in the frunk. I've made mockups of this unit and it actually fits.

The first unit to be produced is going to be the two piece, non-folding version. It can be installed in about two minutes by one person. No crane or tools required. The soft top is left unmodified and can still be used once the hardtop is removed.

A pie-in-the-sky version would allow complete removal of the 250+ lb. capote mechanism, being replaced by a storage area. The capote would be removed intact to be stored for later re-installation. This version would cut the weight of the Spider to below 3,000 lbs., effectively increasing power to weight significantly.

mwstewart likes this.
  25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002