Carbon Fiber, Racing Seats and Alcantara | FerrariChat

Carbon Fiber, Racing Seats and Alcantara

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wrs, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am going to do a rant here. I don't like any of those three things in my cars or not much anyway. I prefer leather and metal, not plastic. Obviously, leather and metal are heavier materials and if the cars we buy were really for racing and needed to be as light as possible, then all three items make sense to use in a track focused car.

So if one orders a track focused car such as Speciale, Pista, Scud or CS, those materials and racing seats make sense. Of course they all carry a premium (except the seats). I understand that Alcantara is a proprietary and exclusive product so I get why it's expensive but to me, it's fake suede. I have never been much of a fan of suede so I am biased to begin with. However, it just doesn't seem that putting it on the dash or the seats looks good, there is just too much area covered. It looks better to me as a highlight or insert. I had the Alcantara seat inserts on my Cali T HS and they were very comfy and grippy but I only had the car at the track once.

On the mid-engine cars I know a lot of people like the sportiness of the racing seats but those cars are not track focused, they are super street cars. So to me, racing seats aren't as appropriate but they do make it easier for people that are tall like I am to fit in the cramped sports car cockpit. Nevertheless, my 488 Spider had fully adjustable Daytona style seats. It wasn't comfortable at the track unless the top was down but I only tracked it 3 times.

We had the Recaro seats in the AMG GTC which I thought were the best looking racing seats I have seen but they were not comfortable, very little padding and even with adjustments they were hard to get used to. I didn't like driving that car because of the seats. The Portofino seats are amazing by comparison. However, whatever floats people's boats. When I am looking at Ferraris, I always reject the car with racing seats even if I love the rest of the spec.

I don't think the racing seats look better or feel better, my opinion though. It seems racing seats are really popular in the 812 even though the 812 is not a track car. To me it's an insanely powered and insanely performing luxury car that can outperform a lot of sports cars of lesser note. For that reason I think the standard seats are more appropriate but again, my opinion. In my 812 I spec'd Daytona fully adjustable seats and they are the most comfortable Ferrari seats yet, with the Portofino a close second. They don't even offer racing seats as an option in the Portofino which makes sense to me, it's a GT car but so is the 812.

Now finally, let me go off on CF. I think it looks OK with black interiors but not anything else and as to putting it on the outside of the car, waste of money and doesn't improve the looks. Not worth adding any. The only CF I buy on my Ferraris is the steering wheel which I actually do like because of the LEDs. I had CF in my 991tts and the interior was black so it was a good match but they didn't charge an arm and a leg for it, it was part of the interior package.

OK now flame away.

JCR likes this.
  2. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Sport seats were the first thing I looked for when buying my 458 and in particular I wanted the sport seats with alcantera centers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

wrs likes this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I get what you’re saying and, although I’m not quite as passionately against Alcantara, knowing what I know now, I would spec my 458’s carbon fiber racing seats in all leather configuration (I’ve got Alcantara in the seats and doors). The novelty of Alcantara wears off quickly, imvho.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

wrs likes this.
  4. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Alcantera was a must for me bc I greatly enjoy hard spirited driving on winding roads and you just slide around on leather. I will admit though the all leather racing seats look good too!

wrs likes this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I can’t argue with that. That they do, they offer noticeably increased grip. My problem with Alcantara is that it’s quite more difficult to take care of, maintenance-wise, than leather. Leather products shouldn’t be used on Alcantara and vice-versa, and when you have both materials on a seat, side by side, it becomes a pain. At least to me, but I’m admittedly lazy and I don’t work on my car for lack of time and skill. To the seasoned owner, I bet it’s not that difficult.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

6. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I hear ya. I just treated my seats leather portions. Used painters tape to tape off area where alcantera meets leather. And all went well. I actually think alcantera is easier to take care of as you really just have to vacuum it a couple times a year and contrary to popular belief it holds its look longer. Leather will easily get surface cracks which show use and after longer use the top layer of leather wears off. But again.....some leather is a very good look!

7. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have found the sport racing seats to be more comfortable than the electric seats.

I like the alcantara over leather for it's feel and look , leather cracks , gets worn , color fades. So far I have not seen alcantara worse.

8. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have a 488. I'd prefer to have an alcantara headliner vs the material it has now but probably wouldn't want it anywhere else. I love my race seats and carbon fiber. My car has every CF option Ferrari makes. Love it. Just my taste.

Scott

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Agree with your view on alcantara, which looks like an old bath mat, and wears horribly.

Seats for me depend on the type of car and it’s intended usage, I get how GT3 guys insist on the stupid ingress/egress fixer buckets.....which personally I wouldn’t buy.

Now your take on CF is just nuts.....most I know love CF parts with any color combinations both interior and exterior, huge upgrade over parts that are usually plastic.

wrs likes this.
  10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    CF interior parts instead of plastic are better but I prefer the brushed aluminum for most of the locations in the cabin. Just my taste though. As to the exterior, I think Ferrari charges too much for the bits they offer and they aren't that noticeable on the whole. The engine bay looks good with CF and on a mid engine coupe , that's a good addition but it's also costly. I think it was $11k on the Pista.

11. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

CF - Structural / weight saving purposes only; not bling, so n/a to a street car.
    Racing seats - a modern car deserves a modern seat. A must have.
    Alcantara - Somewhat indifferent, but given a choice I'd chose leather.

JCR and wrs like this.
  12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Carbon Fiber interiors are just the 2020 version of billet aluminum bling on classic American roadsters... a tacky trend that will hopefully pass sooner than later.

JCR likes this.
  13. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Horses for corses. By that I mean a car for grand tours and those items ain’t really well matched. Track/sports yeh I get it. But anyone specing a car gets to pick pretty much whatever they want and there is enough variance in choice for the second hand market to have all types of spec flowing through.

My current order is for a tourer for long road trips. So the only carbon is the wheel to get the leds. If I’m lucky enough to be in a position to spec a track car or for short spirited blasts the spec would look very different (it would also be a different car from the range).

It’s not a cost thing though. Try asking for all the trim in non-standard colours and it’s getting on for carbon trim costs.:)

wrs likes this.
  14. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Hmmmmm. I have experienced the opposite with alcantera. My alcantera has always been more durable than leather. Yes it can stain easier if you don’t treat it annually but other then that it holds up a lot better. No cracks or top layer to wear off showing lighter leather underneath. I also hate the surface cracking in used leather and how leather gets loose from stretching over time. My uncle is a custom interior tradesman and always prefers alcantera or imitation leather over leather as it looks amazing 5-10 years later vs leather. But then again if you are buying a car that’s $100k+ you can afford to re-leather the seats when they do crack and stretch.

15. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #15 Frank_C, May 15, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2020
    Alcantera in a racing seat is for grip not show. Unless you get sport seats, leather just sucks & won't hold you in place, especially on the track.

I hated my (reg) Daytonas in my F12, was swimming all over the place in those. After a day at the track, just felt beat up the next day.

When I looked for a GT3RS I foolishly bought the sofas as getting in and out of the buckets was a PITA. (And as one gets older the progression: don't trust a fart, squatting down, a cough or burp and don't trust getting in/out of racing buckets!!!)

Huge mistake with the amount of grip in that car- its getting OMP racing seats right now.

But if one doesn't track the car- who cares!!! Spec the car as you want. So what if you don't track it......

16. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I’m into the aluminum and leather. Beautifully done combo.

My sport seats (in leather) fit better and more comfortable than Daytona’s in my 360.

not really into the carbon for looks but do like it’s lighter weight.

Robb

17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #17 up4speed, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Racing seats were a must for me because they afford me more headroom, they look better (to me), and most importantly, they were much more comfortable for me!
    I do have alcantara in the middle, and I do like the smooth and grippy feel, but leather would be just as nice. When I drive the car side by side with another that has Daytona seats, my car just makes me feel more connected. The seat of the pants feel is just better.

As far as carbon fiber goes, I also am not crazy about it. I have a hard time replacing a nice solid aluminum piece, with what is essentially, a cloth wrapped in a resin glue, lol. When you grab the vent housings for instance, the aluminum ones feel solid. If you do the same on a car with CF, they make a creaking noise, and that drives me nuts. Even worse....I HATE the carbon fiber shifter paddles. I feel them flex, and they don't feel nearly as nice, solid, strong, or precise as the standard aluminum (or whatever they are made of) ones. As you can imagine, I catch a lot of slack for my opinion at the morning cars and coffee. But anyone who is willing to listen and do a side by side comparison will say "yeah, I see what you are saying...but I like the CF look". To me, these cars are made for driving, so I need it to feel right.
    All that said, I do really like the look of the carbon fiber, but it's not a necessity for me (especially for the price), and I also have a fear that it may be a passing fad, and make the car look dated eventually.
    These are Ferraris that we drive, and as far as I'm concerned, there is no bad choice! It's just personal preferences.

18. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Alcantara has one unique feature I love- it feels warm in the winter and cool in the summer- and if you love spiders-those leather seats get quite hot sitting in the sun-and if you are wearing shorts-ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat