458 - Buying out of state | FerrariChat

458 Buying out of state

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dalaalsingh, May 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dalaalsingh

dalaalsingh Rookie

Nov 19, 2017
    Hey guys, I am looking at a car in Florida, and live in Texas. They have added 1k in fees to "license & title "and will not budge on the 1k doc fee. So 2k in fees total excluding tax for my state. My question is can I just pay them their advertised price minus the doc fee and pay license & title and tax and other fees when the car arrives here? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N970U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

eskanday likes this.
  2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I did just that. I think there is this $995 pre delivery service fee that is state mandated and that they will not drop. The license and title fee was $110. You have to get the car inspected here in Texas once it arrives and send them the original inspection report so they can apply for the title transfer from there. That's another delay in the process of getting your title. They told me the $995 was something the state legislated so that there is some positive money on every car. That is what I think I recall but Florida car buyers on here can chime in.

dalaalsingh likes this.
  3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #3 IPO1, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    I have bought my last 6 exotics out of state and live in TX. You have to pay TX 6.25% tax here and register it (you have 30 days from the time the car arrives in TX--then penalties will apply--daily). Many dealers will register and pay TX taxes for you. I prefer to do myself (that way I have receipt from tax office and plates in hand). If car is new you will need Certificate of Origin to register.

Also, if you do it yourself, you will need to get inspected here in TX (before you head to tax office).

Go to TX registration site for all details. There is also additional paperwork for dealer to complete that you will need to take to your local TX tax office.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/motor-vehicle/sales-use.php

Good luck.

dalaalsingh and wrs like this.
  4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Oh the joys. If you live in Austin, the Travis County Tax Office is a terrible experience. It took three of four trips of at least an hour each for them to accept my paperwork. I'm literally trying to hand them a check for five figures and stupid sh*t like "oh, that's a copy, we need the original inspection". Or the wrong color ink. Or Florida had to mail a title to me, and it is a digital state. On top of that, only one office was open at the time because of fraud. No joke. https://texasmonitor.org/fraud-flourished-in-travis-countys-tax-office-due-to-lax-supervisors-grand-jury-finds/

Got a great car out of Florida. But wasn't prepared for the registration hassle.

wrs likes this.
  5. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

Congratulations in advance on your purchase of a 458, it is an epic car! I bought my 458 a few months ago from a dealer in Georgia. I opted to do the paperwork myself after a bloody miserable experience buying an S560 4Matic from an out of state dealer.

They tried over and over again to process the paperwork for Texas, but could not get it done. We had to hire a lawyer for $1,500.00 to finally get our title and pay the Texas taxes. After that, I just figured I would do it myself.

One thing I can tell you bruddah, is to make *sure* your paperwork is well sorted and you have everything you need for Texas. Call your local tax office and tell them that you are buying a vehicle in another state and *verify* what they need.

Do *not* accept what the out of state dealer says about what’s needed, ask the Texas tax office, they are the ones who decide if your paperwork is correct. I have found they are usually nice folks that are well and truly overworked. Being friendly goes a long way to getting your papers sorted. (The power of a smile goes a long way!)

One big thing... My F dealers legal name is different from its DBA. That caused a huge problem that almost sent me home without getting everything sorted. Luckily, I had one piece of paper that showed the legal name AND the DBA name on the same form. That saved me and they accepted my paperwork.

Many dealers are set up this way, so if yours is you need to make sure you have documents showing that they are the same entity. My processor told me that this is a common problem they see everyday and that it sends folks home without getting their paperwork completed.

My processor was very nice to me and she asked several questions about the 458, whilst we were waiting on the paperwork to get approved. I hope this helps you. Good luck and best wishes on your purchase and getting everything sorted at the tax office. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever and dalaalsingh like this.
  6. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I'd say, that's up to the seller, just ask! I'm in NYC and bought my 458 out of Portland Oregon about 6 weeks ago. My deal included just the car. The transport, paperwork, etc. was taken care of locally by others. I even had a hook at the DMV, so was able to get it registered during the shutdown. :cool:

dalaalsingh likes this.
  7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I bought three cars out of FL and one out of PA. On the last one out of FL the dealership sent the forms in wrong so it was a few months until I got it properly registered. I had to keep buying three day trip permits so I could drive it on the weekends. They refunded me the money for the title and paid for the trip permits so that was good of them.

8. dalaalsingh

dalaalsingh Rookie

Nov 19, 2017
    Thanks everyone. Do you guys know a good place I can get it inspected in Miami by chance?

9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #9 IPO1, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    If you live in TX and registering in TX, it needs to be inspected in TX. The receipt will be needed for registration at tax office as well FYI.

Here is everything you need:

A vehicle must be titled in your name within 30 days of the date of sale to avoid delinquent transfer penalties. Additionally, you must register the vehicle within 30 days of bringing the vehicle to Texas, and the vehicle must pass a Texas inspection before it can be registered. After having it inspected, take the following to your county tax office to title and register the vehicle:

• Proof of TX Inspection (Vehicle Inspection Report),
    • Proof of liability insurance meeting State of Texas minimum requirements,
    • The vehicle's odometer reading if it is less than 10 years old,
    • An original out of state title or other valid ownership evidence, or Certificate of origin (if new car)
    • Proof of sales tax payment or current foreign/military ownership document,
    • Completed Form 130-U <<< THIS ONE YOUR SELLING DEALER NEEDS TO SIGN AND NEEDS TO BE ORIGINAL NOT COPY. THIS IS THE ONE EVERYONE SCREWS UP.

Texas2step likes this.
  10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Where in Texas are you? I bought our California out of Connecticut, arranged to have it shipped to Boardwalk in DFW. When it arrived, they babysat it for me for me until I could get it, and also took care of the state inspection...T

11. dalaalsingh

dalaalsingh Rookie

Nov 19, 2017
    Thank you

12. dalaalsingh

dalaalsingh Rookie

Nov 19, 2017
    Sorry guys. I meant for purchase inspection. Not state. My fault.