What is the current market for a US Fiberglass 308? | FerrariChat

What is the current market for a US Fiberglass 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nuvolari, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #1 Nuvolari, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    I searched and for the life of me could not find this information so please don't bite my head off if it was hiding in plain sight.

I have a friend with a US spec fiberglass 308 who would like to sell and I'm trying to help him determine the price for the car. I looked the car over and it is a very nice and clean driver condition. This is not a concours time capsule show winner but also not tired and needing everything. Yellow on black interior with a very good older re-spray and re-upholstered seats. It is the kind of car you can get in and drive straight away and it shows very well. Fresh major at Ferrari Dealer and car has books and tools. I can't remember the exact mileage but I remember it to be around 60K.

This is a private individual who does NOT want to deal with any brokers or middlemen. I have no interest in this sale and will happily put any prospective buyers in touch with him personally. You would be buying directly from the owner. I preface by saying that this gentleman is very nice older chap. Not forum savvy which is why I'm helping him here. He is not hard up and does not need the money. He is looking for a fair sale and will not put up with time wasters or people trying to steal the car from him. That said it could be a good opportunity for someone looking for a fiberglass 308 to buy directly from an owner and get a good price. This car is not currently advertised anywhere.

I'll have to get some photos but for the time being I'm sure I said enough to get an understanding for what the current market would be for the car. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Hi,

I like to use Hagerty index for these cases

Hope it helps

Julio

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Hagerty states $122K for Good, $195K for concourse. Dry sump goes up another $30K.

BigTex likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    North American glass cars are not dry sump, they got the same two distributor wet sump engines as the 1975 GT4 and 1976-77 steel cars did...

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    His short term problem is there's no COVID Price Guide.
    Even those Hagerty numbers have softened.

If there's no comps then he's almost forced to auction or maybe negotiate with several interested buyers??

The 1978 car that sold here and the current 1977 steel are well below my expectations.
    I am dearly holding on to mine

7. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Hold and drive is good plan.
    Gas is cheaper than ever

Its time for fun, which we need more than ever

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Having looked the car over fairly closely and with it receiving a fresh major at a Ferrari dealer I would put this car better than a Hagerty Good and very close to if not an Excellent. That then would put the value in the $140-150K range. I also appreciate that the market is softer than it was last year so the owner may want to price it in the lower end of that scale and be ready to negotiate a little to make a sale. He has another Ferrari so keeping it and driving it is out and he has had his fun and is ready to move on.

Considering all these factors how accurate do you think I am on these assumptions?

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would say spot on, better to g high and be negotiable...you cannot barter "up".

I rather share his feelings as my early 308GTB steel is an occasion every time I take it out.
    But you need change in life.

I'm thinking I could move, and start a whole new experience with it, and new people.
    But that's pretty drastic.

These cars are migrating into collector's hands due to rarity. The driving experience is not unique.
    As all the North American cars Pre CAT are the same.....

10. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

There isn’t a distinction between US and Euro in the Hagerty site. They are indicating that the euro vetro commands a $30K premium.

11. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Personally, I believe that is too cheap. If that is where the market is, then I would hold for now. Sounds like a great buying opportunity for someone.

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I think it will be tough to find a buyer for a wet sump VR even at 130-140K. Even though 1/100, to be appealing due to rarity, a real collector will want it perfect and low miles. They are great cars...all 308s are...I hope your buddy sells his way more than what I think he will. I think all these cars are amazing and ought to be 200K plus...

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's a handful of differences between the NA and Euro glass cars, the engine and maybe 300# of bumpers and door beams, mainly, the distributors are also different.

14. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    GLWS, she looks very nice and correct