Tires for 17" wheels | FerrariChat

Tires for 17" wheels

Discussion in '308/328' started by Du_Man, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I am in the process of restoring/painting a set of 17" WORKS wheels that were on the 308 when I bought it and now thinking about tires. The fronts are 8" widths and the rear are 9". Am I weird to want all the same width tires all around and not have the super-wide tires in the rear? Wheel size charts say that 235 tire size will accommodate both the 8" and 9"......so I am looking at 235/50/17 tires.....I am thinking a larger 50 sidewall to seem more natural to the 1980 look on the 308 versus a 45 sidewall.

A GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC A/S or Pirelli P Zero A/S is my brand picks for now.
    Any thoughts on that size tire or brand?

I have read a lot of the older posts - most seem to want to maximize the tire size. I know the 225/50/17 and the 235/45/17 are about identical in size to the original 205/70/14 tire and the 235/50/17 is about 3% bigger - slight speedometer off-read. I could put 225s on the front.

FYI - this is an awesome tire size comparison calculator.....
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=205-70r14-235-50r17

my rough photoshop skillz - my unfinished painted wheel - for kicks plus everybody wants images.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

energy88 likes this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like 8" and 9" wheels have you covered for almost anything.

I'm going thru the same thing with an El Camino that has the same original tire size you mentioned. People push going to 215 and 225; however, that is at or over the limit for a 6" wide wheel. What happens is that some point the tire tread becomes wider than the sidewalls and probably looks like you have a severe case of under inflation.

IMHO, more rubber on the road is better, but for cars from the 1980s, giving the illusion of sidewall height looking period correct is the best policy (when you go to sell) and avoids the issue of having the car looking like it was heavily modded.

Du_Man likes this.
  3. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Please make sure you double check before you consider the 50 series with a 17. I’m running 50’s on 16’s. 225/50 and 245/50. They fill the arches very very well. Tire rack has the actual rolling diameters for the combo chosen. I tried 215/55/16 to up the diameter on the fronts and went to large.

Du_Man likes this.
  4. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    #4 Du_Man, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    thank you for that comment
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=205-70r14-235-50r17 I'm using this compare calculator.

The chart says almost a 1" bigger in diameter compared to the original 14" tire size or 3.8% bigger. I assume I am good to go?

But when I put in your 215/55/16 tire size that was too large for you - this chart says tire is about same size as the original 14" tire. I'm confused if you say it was not a good choice for tire size. :)

5. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree. I bought them and put them and they just didn’t look right. So I bought the 225/50’s and put those on and all was good again. I sold the two 215/55 fronts on Craigslist. In the end it has to fit the eyes.

energy88 likes this.
  6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This what I have on my 17” now with Sumitomo HTR Z III tires.
    Front 8” wide 225/45/17”
    Rear 9” wide 255/40/17

Cirorsi and Du_Man like this.
  7. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    One other thing to consider when changing diameters is how close the front and rear corners of the front tires come to the inside of the wheel well when turning. On my early GT4 I had rubbing when turning. Later GT4s had a pocket in the fender liner to clear the tires better. The GT cars had better clearance from the start, but I'd still turn the wheels both ways and check how much room you have at the closest point. Do you have an additional room to spare when you increase both the diameter and width?

Du_Man likes this.
  8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    5.65" - 4.66" = ~ 1". An inch can be a lot on a car and is probably what caught David's eye.

As another real world example, right now for the El Camino, I'm looking at going back to OEM white letter tires and note that 2" high letters are far too large versus 1" high letters with the extra 1" just not looking right.

Du_Man likes this.
  9. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    thanks Mike for the sizes that will work!

miketuason likes this.
  10. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #10 AZDoug, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    FWIW, I have potenza 235/45-17 front and 245/45-17 rear on 8" wide wheels. I found later I could have gone 245 front also, but wasn't sure at the time.
    I did put 1/2" spacers on the rear to push the wheels out more.
    of course, offset does play into all of this.

The 45 series kept the wheels closer to stock height.

Doug
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Du_Man, energy88 and 308Dadoo like this.
  11. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    The thing that I've always wondered about with the wider tires on the car is if it contributes to premature wear on the steering rack. I replaced my rack at 50K.

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  13. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    GAAHHH!!! The Smog Check sign. That brings back nightmares. Glad i don't have to do that anymore.

Doug

miketuason likes this.
  14. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s only a nightmare if it doesn’t pass, mine pass no problem.:)

15. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Very nice looking 308 Mike. That size looks the best to me, aggressive yet elegant. I have to concur with your tire sizes as I did the same size on my 308. I must have lamented for days on the brand but I finally went with a Ultra HP All Season, Michelin tire. The Pirelli was limiting with 17” but Conti, Goodyear, and Bridgestone had nice tires as well. I bought mine on Tire Rack and had an Audi dealership install.

Du_Man and miketuason like this.
  16. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    So all is well for the fronts having 235 widths? no rubbing at full lock/etc?

17. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I can't say my 3.6L upgrade with high perf cams, 10.5:1 CR, no cats and no air pump would pass smog.

But, I bet my car is one HELL of a lot more fun to drive, than yours...:D

Doug

miketuason likes this.
  18. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    No rubbing at all at full lock with the 235/45 on my 8" wheels, The 245 won't rub either with the offset on the wheels i have. I think the offset was 20MM, but I can't remember which way without looking up the specs for the heel.

Doug

Du_Man likes this.
  19. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No, Nick Forzas 4.0 L conversion that puts out 500 plus hp, now that’s fun to drive. Mine may have less HP than yours but it sure makes me happy and puts smile on my face and that’s all it counts for me and nothing else matter.:)