Another "how to safely remove the clear bra" thread | FerrariChat

Another "how to safely remove the clear bra" thread

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, May 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So I am getting my 2001 360 tomorrow a.m., and the first thing I want to do is get the clear bra off of the hood and headlights. I found two folks to do this: The first fellow says he uses steam and it should come right off with no issues. The second fellow said he can also take it off with no issues, and he uses a solvent rather than heat. He then polishes everything out.

Are there any cautionary or "definitely no" tales on either of these methods? Worst case is paint comes off and I have to respray the hood, but I believe that is an unlikely outcome.

2. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As long as the car has no prior paint work the clear bra should come off without issue. My preference would be steam - I think this is the norm.

3. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    And congrats on the new ride!

4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Never heard of using solvents. Steam yes. There are a dozen videos on YouTube showing various methods of removal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    So all the rather crispy aged PPF around wheel arches and air intakes can be removed and replaced with a neater job without damaging Nero paint ?

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    "Should", being the operative word. Since the 430 going forward, there are numerous threads of 430s, 458s, etc having the clear coat lift off when removing PPF. These are cars that never had documented paint work, some had the PPF applied before accepting the car for delivery. Have not heard of as many issues with earlier cars.

RaceMX-M3 likes this.
  7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I use steam

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I wished it didn't have it, but hopefully it will be a fairly painless process.

9. dz22

dz22 Rookie

I've always heard steam is the way to go.

10. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I had the hood on my M3 repainted and put PPF on it. Went to replace it and it pulled a small triangle of paint up.. I was able to get it back in place with minimal noticeable damage but sold the car shortly after. lol. I'd have a heart attack if this happened to my Ferrari. I used to own a window film company and know how to apply / remove this stuff but been out of the business for a while. I'm getting my 488 done soon and will happily pay to let someone else assume the liability.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Its pretty scary to see all the newer Ferraris that have lifting of the clearcoat if the PPF needs to be replaced for some reason. I've never heard of a shop that will pay if the clearcoat lifts...I'd definitely give them all my business!

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    With my luck, I am half figuring I'm going to have to respray the hood, but maybe I'll get lucky!

13. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I will have to ask my buddy that owns the shop. I would think larger operations have insurance for liability for damage they do to expensive cars. I will check. I work on $2000 Ferrari mirrors and if I break one I eat it out of pocket. Have done it a handful of times.

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I went to one place today that specializes in the film, and I simply asked the lady if they would remove it. She said "On no, we've never done it on a Ferrari...we wouldn't want that liability."

Liability? For $500 to repaint the hood? Sheesh. I'll take the liability, just peel off the sticker will ya? I forgot how people get caught up in the aura of Ferraris. Sure, they are great cars and all, but it's still just a car. Quit watching Barrett Jackson so much.

ItalGerBrit likes this.
  15. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    My 08 Scud came with PPF. It was old and yellow. Knew about the issue, still took off a patch of paint (1/2 palm size) off. Sigh....

whatheheck likes this.
  16. hazimaw

hazimaw Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Steaming is the best to remove ppf. You can use heating gun... but I would recommend steaming. Btw, no warranty on removing ppf. Because you don't know what is under the film.

Congratulations on your new ride.

All the best,

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

17. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I tried steam on 16 year old 360. Cracked looked and installed before delivery.

Gave up after 2 hrs.... came off in tiny bits.

Took it to a professional who’d worked on high end cars. $500. Excellent job.

whatheheck likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I removed my own PPF on my 2006 F430 now sold. I use heat gun and I was successful.

The key is to slowly pull the film off the car. If you get impatient & pullmthe film too quickly guess what goes with the film= paint!

Note that respraying the hood will cost more than $500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f355spider, hazimaw and RaceMX-M3 like this.