Yonge-Steeles Motors | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Yonge-Steeles Motors

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ///R, Aug 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    80s and 90s were (to me) glorious years for Ferrari. Thanks for sharing these photos.

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Your license plate is blank

of2worlds likes this.
  3. mike schymkiw

mike schymkiw Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    mike schymkiw
    Yonge Steeles Motors 1977
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. mike schymkiw

mike schymkiw Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    mike schymkiw

bernardo66 and of2worlds like this.
  5. Michael Appleton

May 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Appleton
    I used to visit the Yonge&Steeles dealership all the time in the early ‘70’s. One day my buddy and I sat on the curb and watched one of their mechanics drive a Dino up and down a side street. I will never forget the sound of the engine that day. Gave me goosebumps at the time!

of2worlds likes this.
  6. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I just discovered this thread and may you can help me to understand how Ferrari car was delivered new in Ontario during 80's. To my knowledge many Ferrari 328 was registered with first owner in Ontario but many (most ?) of them seemed to be delivered new in USA (and not fitted with the specific Canadian front bumper). Did the canadian people went to US to buy their new Ferrari ? And why ?

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #107 of2worlds, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Bonjour Bertrand! first a little history. The Americans had a 2.5 MPH bumper safety standard. The Ferrari Boxer BB 512 was not legal to be sold by official Ferrari dealers there in the USA. When the Testarossa arrived in 1984 it met the American safety standards with the correct bumper protection and speedometer in Miles per Hour. It also met the more stringent engine emission standards the USA had at that time to. In Canada you could legally buy and register a Ferrari Boxer BB 512 because the bumper standard was lower so the euro version was legal in Canada. The engine emission standards were lower in Canada than the USA to. In 1977 the speedometer was changed to the 'metric' system so the markings were Kilometers per Hour instead of the USA Miles per Hour. For the 328 starting in 1986 the Canadian government had previously introduced a stronger 5 Miles per Hour front bumper standard; even going back to the 355 the higher standard of 5 Miles per Hour was in force. The USA market Ferrari 328 was build to the old requirement of 2.5 Miles per Hour front bumper standard. Canadians could not import a Ferrari 328 new from the USA. They could only buy their Ferrari from Canadian Ferrari dealers. The USA 328 still recorded mileage on the odometer in 'miles' but the Canadian 328 market model odometer read mileage in kilometers. The seat belt system was also different between the USA and Canada market Ferrari models to. There was a motorized assist on the seat belts for the USA models like the 348, however not on the Canadian market models. Once a Ferrari was fifteen years old a 1986 328 could be imported into Canada starting in 2001 without regard for the front bumper standard. It was given an exemption by the Canadian government due to the age of the vehicle. That is the only common way for an American market 1986 328 to enter Canada and only after 2001 based on the fifteen year rule. 1987 models would could be imported from the USA starting in 2002. An American moving to Canada would have been allowed to bring in his American market 1986 or later 328 as a personal possession but that would be a rare event. Canadians could only buy a 1986 or later 328 that Ferrari has specifically produced new by the factory in Italy for the Canadian market Ferrari dealers to sell.
    In the past a company called Canarauto imported new Ferrari models into Canada in the early 1970's. The 246 Dino and 365 GTB/4 plus the 365 GTC/4 initially without the USA smog equipment. However that Canarauto importer was later sold and Ferrari SpA then created Ferrari North America. This company was designed to handle all aspects of the importation and sale plus service of new Ferrari models that met the specific government standards for automobiles designed for Canada and the United States individual markets. This included the specific warranty for the automobile that could not be transferred from one country to the other unless specifically authorized by FNA. An American visiting Canada with his 328 could have warranty work done at a Canadian dealer for example.
    To sum up no Canadians could legally register an American market 328 in Ontario until it was at least 15 years old. The American dealers were not allowed to sell cars to Canadians for export or they would be penalized by FNA.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  8. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    @of2worlds First thank you for your complete answer.

Since few time I try to list all Ferrari 328 and all different model by aera and country with their spec. I already know "Canadian spec." even it'is seems sparsely debate.
    The most noticeable canadian spec is the front bumper with its two litte boxes in addition to the US bumper. And I have several pictures of 328 without it ( of course ) BUT CARFAX reported these same cars with a first owner in Ontario in 1986-87 ... !

I still looking for an logical explanation since long time but I don't find it until today. This is not about 2 or 3 cars but many more.

Agree with you there were Ferrari 328 specifically produced new by the factory in Italy for the Canadian market but I never heard about it nowhere even on this forum ! How many ?
    FNA import Ferrari car to North America so US AND Canada, so Canadian spec 328 were delivered by them, no ?

I still very surprsised that those question are never ( to my knoweldge ) debate here on FChat. I don't find any thread about that since I am here.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes the importer for Canada was FNA so they controlled all the Ferrari cars coming to Canada. It must be remembered that Ferrari models were much more expensive in Canada than the same 328 was priced at in the USA. To protect the extra value of the Canadian market Ferrari models FNA limited sales to official dealers only and would not allow private importation of the USA 328.

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    There is no convenient record of how many 328 models were sold in Canada. The only time FNA releases any records is for safety recalls that are government mandated. Then they will state how many cars in a certain serial number range are being recalled.
    As a rule of thumb there are more than 10 Ferrari models delivered new in the USA compared to just 1 for Canada. For more expensive or special models perhaps five percent of the USA share come to Canada.
    I had a list of some early Testarossa models sold new in Canada but nothing for the 328 in that time unfortunately as they started in 1986.

11. tgc5874

tgc5874 Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada

of2worlds likes this.
  12. tgc5874

tgc5874 Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada

of2worlds likes this.
  13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Who imported the BB512 into Canada? My ‘78 has been in Canada as far back as I can devise, but have no idea how it got to Canada. In 1978 who was the official importer?

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The 512 BB was sold by the Toronto Ferrari dealer - Popovich. They even dealer traded for a new red BB from CH Pozzi in France. I think that was around 1980. It was the Amercans that could not import legal Boxers. There was a thriving grey market that Ferrari factory frowned upon. The Countach was also legal in Canada in that time frame; 1978.

bernardo66 likes this.