ASU/Tempe area | FerrariChat

ASU/Tempe area

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Edward 96GTS, May 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    my daughter will be attending ASU in the fall. we have never been there and cant visit as the campus is closed. what should we know about tempe? is it a safe college town? easy public transportation? homeless population, etc.
    tia

2. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Just like any college town there are homeless. There is a light rail that goes downtown and to the airport. There is a bus system too but no one takes it. Lots to do around the college. I would say it’s as safe as you want it to be. Bad decisions will end in bad situations. Welcome to Az

azfast1 and technom3 like this.
  3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    public transportation sucks.

have her live in campus.

the crime to be fearful of is just like any college campus... which means men beahiving like boys.

also drunk driving is kind if a big thing.

id highly recommend her having a car. this is a large college in the 5th largest city in thr country and it is VERY spread out.

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My son reports to ASU in the fall. Like you I wish we could’ve gone out for orientation. I’m concerned ASU won’t be normal by fall.

As soon as Phoenix opens up we’re going to head out for a week or so and learn the ropes.

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    - its hot.
    - public transportation sucks (light rail can get her to airport or downtown, but that's about it).
    - uber is available and cheap and would be my recommendation for year 1 (then assess the need for a car).
    - its a huge school and a party school, in fact that makes it a huge party school.
    - get her a place on campus for year 1. Then maybe she will find some friends to live with in apartment year 2+.
    - some homeless, not unlike most western cities
    - safety is average in PHX area. Tempe is an okay area. Usual cautions and safeguards for a young women apply.

6. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm probably also going to move to Phoenix in the Fall. I've been shopping houses on Zillow and made a couple trips out to look around Paradise Valley/Scottsdale area. Last time I was there was February due to CV. I think Scottsdale is a beautiful part of the world. I've been reading some of the Cars and Coffee threads here. Looks much for "active" in Phoenix than ATL.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    lots to like about living in Scottsdale/PV...the only real downsides (once you sort the places to go for some urban culture/food that doesn't feel suburban) are;

1. July and August are truly awful to live there (insane heat, surprising humidity, dust storms - but just go on vacation then, or better get a 2nd home in the mountains)
    2. June and Sept are therefore merely "just damn hot" in comparison. I avoid the area from June 1 to Nov 1 (at min) each year and its paradise for the rest.

Of course housing prices here are pretty low compared to many places, and thus you can afford to do the "2:1" summer/winter home thing if you can live with modest sized houses if limited funds like me (or go big like many PVers and Snottsdaler's do and double up on your mansions).

8. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yes I understand the heat is an issue in the summer but it’s an issue “down south” too. I would not spend the summers in Phoenix. Perhaps I’ll delay my extended stay til November. We shall see. Thanks for the heads up

9. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Tempe is a lot different than when I was there, and it wasn't that long ago.

1) Like others said, as safe as other college towns. There are shuttles and security for students who don't feel safe.
    2) Public transportation is getting better. One thing to note is the free Orbit busses which helped me, I moved off campus after my sophomore year - lived at the dorms my freshman year and at Vista del Sol (an ASU owned apartment complex on Apache and near Rural, I got lucky as it was brand new when I moved in) my sophomore year. I moved to McKellips and Scottsdale my remaining years and was free and would loop every 30 minutes - it may have been shorter. Only a few instances of homeless people causing a scene but I felt safe and I had more afternoon-evening classes, so would return home late.
    3) Homeless population seems to be decreasing in Tempe itself, the area is being heavily developed and modernized with more high-rises close to campus.

10. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Ash is the MAN!!!!!! :D

11. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    The ****, you're alive?! Prada man lives!

12. BLAMPEE

haha....Its been over 7 years since I logged on!

Re-joined last week as I am going to buy a Cali. ;)

agup48 likes this.
  13. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I'm off an on, but that's insane on 7 years!! :eek:

14. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Scottsdale and PV are u real places to live. I live in Fountain Hills which is a few miles from Scottsdale. It’s truly stunning where we are, mountain views from every window, quiet, crime free neighbour hoods and unbelievable weather. We moved from FL and was the best decision of our lives.

Welcome!!

Jason Crandall likes this.
  15. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi Tom. Thanks for the information. I’m in my preliminary search and saving properties on Zillow. I think it’s best to rent for a year and find out where I want to be. I’ve spent most of my life in GA and FL but love life out west and am an avid skier. I’m lookin forward to spending more time in Scottsdale and meeting some Ferrari owners and hitting some car meet ups.

16. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Good idea, let me know if you make it!

17. BLAMPEE

#17 BLAMPEE, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    When I inquired about moving to Phoenix on FChat when I moved here in 2012 this is what an FChatter kindly drew for me.......:p

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Awesome. Very helpful. Thank you

19. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    A pretty fair depiction!

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Pretty friggin accurate

21. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    ha ha, I remember that. Still accurate.

22. GFUracing

GFUracing Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2005
    Ahwatukee Foothills
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I had the same map for advice when I moved out here also. Still accurate! sadly, I think homeless is way higher in Tempe than a few years ago when I moved here. Wanna hire a bodyguard?

23. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    PV is truly a beautiful place to live with views of Camelback to the south and Mummy mountain to the north and Phoenix preserve mountains to the West. One of the biggest up and coming areas not mentioned is Arcadia which is part of Scottsdale and Phoenix. Price per square foot it rivals Paradise Valley but truly a family centric neighborhood.

24. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Tempe, AZ, Westcliffe, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    ASU Senior here- pretty much covered all the bases but I wanted to clarify parking.

The parking garages are close, and fairly safe because you'll be surrounded by a fleet of gold-wrapped Maserati's and GTR's. I used to park in the Apache structure and I'd see 7-9 on my way to find a space.

That all being said, I think I paid $700 a semester for a parking pass. I rented a storage unit close to campus where I kept the nice cars, but it wasn't really necessary in hindsight.

Tempe is fine, safety wise. It's not great, but it's well patrolled and with a lot of new buildings going in, there's steps being taken.

Feel free to shoot me any questions about ASU/Tempe, I live here currently, planning on moving soon.

25. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Just be back in dorm by 12 AM. Everything bad happens after midnight.

timjen88 likes this.